Ideas for Jails and Crimcode

Started by RogueGunslinger, September 15, 2014, 10:42:49 AM

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 16, 2014, 12:35:54 PM
I wonder if we started from the question of "What would a totally PC-run law enforcement system look like?" and then worked backward to what could be coded and how PCs would be involved, what that would look like.

Unworkable, unless there were about 4 times as many PC soldiers and twice as many PC templars.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 16, 2014, 12:37:19 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 16, 2014, 12:35:54 PM
I wonder if we started from the question of "What would a totally PC-run law enforcement system look like?" and then worked backward to what could be coded and how PCs would be involved, what that would look like.

Unworkable, unless there were about 4 times as many PC soldiers and twice as many PC templars.

You missed my point. Start there, work backward to what would be coded in, including NPCs. What would it look like if every part of it was animated by player intelligence? What if PCs could jump in to any part of it and take over, but at times when there weren't PCs available, the system would run itself? Instead of going from code -> PCs, go PCs -> code.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

My point still stands that it wouldd be a waste of time brain-storming because we don't have the player resources to run it. Even if we do come up with a fully-PC criminal system, you'll still have the problem you have now: that the limited number of Templars and soldier-PCs, who typically all play in the same general time period because they're recruiting each other, leave large gaps of time where there is no PC representation in the criminal system.

A lot of the ideas floated here are trying to address the issue of how you making being caught fun when there is no PC-Templar or soldier around to interact with.

As it stands now, PCs can already jump in to the Criminal System at any point, IF they're around and IF the system doesn't get the criminal killed before PCs can intervene.

I like the way you think Gimf.  A system designed to prioritize PCs but then let the code fill in the gaps.  A system like that should allow (but not require) law enforcement PCs to participate in all aspects of law enforcement and the crimcode, doing things like arresting criminals and inspecting travelers as they enter the city (at least in Allanak, why they they don't do something like this in Tuluk seems strange.)
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I'm also disappointed that no one has yet suggested:

"why don't we move the jails closer to the criminals?"
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Norcal on September 16, 2014, 07:40:38 AM
For minor crimes my first idea would be to move the jails closer to the criminals.

I thought that's what this was.

Yes, I agree with Gimf.

The crime-code system as it stands is too binary and black and white -- Whenever a PC in law enforcement gets involved, it suddenly becomes more Zalanthan. There is room for corruption, betrayal, and bribery.

Keeping this in mind -- I think the system should be much more soft when PCs are not around. As Badskeelz suggested, give them billy-clubs and beat you into unconsciousness. Give Templars commands to say 'Mercy Off', and the soldiers draw their blades.

Providing things like softer jail sentences, but giving the sdesc of the perpetrator to Templar PCs to follow up on, is exactly the kind of solution I am looking for, personally. It creates more conflict and plots, rather than sitting in a time-out for upwards of a few hours IRL. Not to mention the length of 'wanted' status after committing even a simple petty theft.

Crimes short of murder should involve being tossed in jail for an hour, or allow the PC to bribe their way out to the NPC -- But despite all of this, give their description to the PC authorities and let them decide how far to pursue it.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 16, 2014, 01:25:26 PM
For minor crimes my first idea would be to move the jails closer to the criminals.

I thought that's what this was.

aw yisssss
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Molten Heart on September 16, 2014, 01:07:05 PM
I like the way you think Gimf.  A system designed to prioritize PCs but then let the code fill in the gaps.  A system like that should allow (but not require) law enforcement PCs to participate in all aspects of law enforcement and the crimcode

You guys get me. <3

What we have right now is a system that starts with code and shoehorns PCs in. Adding more code without understanding our purpose and structure, IMO, won't help.

I mean this from the perspective of the criminal, too. Both sides should be having fun.

I think someone actually did suggest that in this thread...

For minor crimes my first idea would be to move the jails closer to the criminals.  To avoid the isolation of the PC and to increase shame, set up a series of stocks in central locations. 

Oh hey look at that! I found it.

Quote from: Nyr on September 16, 2014, 01:23:10 PM

Sarcasm?

QuoteI think someone actually did suggest that in this thread...

Quote from: Norcal on September 16, 2014, 03:40:38 AM

For minor crimes my first idea would be to move the jails closer to the criminals.  To avoid the isolation of the PC and to increase shame, set up a series of stocks in central locations. 

Oh hey look at that! I found it

It actually looks better in bold. I still think it's sounds fun.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Public Stockades sound cruel. I like it.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I wonder if the Hit code could be adapted for the throwing of refuse at stockaded characters?

Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 17, 2014, 01:00:25 PM
I wonder if the Hit code could be adapted for the throwing of refuse at stockaded characters?

You could just throw fruits and fecal matter at them regardless without instigating crime code.

Stockades could be NPCs that have amazing subdue and cannot be broken (disable flee on the people who are stockaded).

~Jack Vance~

Park the rotten petoch girl nearby and let people buy fruit to throw (can just use the give command and then it's fun roleplay for both, plus the criminal gets a bunch of free nasty food they can huddle up around and cry-eat later).

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 17, 2014, 01:03:21 PM

Park the rotten petoch girl nearby and let people buy fruit to throw (can just use the give command and then it's fun roleplay for both, plus the criminal gets a bunch of free nasty food they can huddle up around and cry-eat later).

I'm pretty sure you can wield it and throw it at them, too.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on September 17, 2014, 01:05:33 PM

You can if they're not in the same room. Otherwise I think it would initiate combat and then crimcode.

A work around to that might be to make the stockade a room within the room, that everyone can look in to and watch. Sort of like the animal cages, or sparring ring rooms that were set up before the HRPT for those who were there.

Quote from: Reiloth on September 17, 2014, 01:05:33 PM

A long line of stockades is here, holding people who ill-advisedly used the 'throw' command.

;)

Yeah, I'd want to test it, though, because I honestly don't remember. Like, I feel like during one of the many riots I've instigated/been the honored guest at, someone got crim-coded for throwing when they shouldn't have.

I'm like 95% positive you can throw non-weapons at people and not get crim-flagged.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Molten Heart on September 16, 2014, 12:35:04 PM
Quote from: Incognito on September 16, 2014, 12:03:27 PM
Suggestion 1:
While your Watched flag is still on - you cannot enter through the Main Gate. You are forced to enter through Merchant's Gate and pay water tax.
Same goes for Tuluk - cannot enter through Plains Gate and must enter through the Scaien and pay water tax.

Maybe restrict travel when leaving the gates because if things start getting rough it'd make sense that one would want to leave the city until the heat was off (go to Red Storm or Luir's or somewhere else). Maybe the powers that be would want to keep an eye on criminals or at least until a templar can make a judgement call on their situation.  This might drive criminals to the Labyrinth.

THIS!!
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: Nyr on September 16, 2014, 01:23:10 PM

Norcal did!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Ewwww, rotten petoch smells so bad...

which makes it a perfect implement to hurl at people!

I can't imagine throwing food at someone in Allanak would really be a "thing". Even the worst quality food is food when you have people literally starving to death in the streets every single day all day.

I like the stockade or public cage idea though. I would want it to be PC initiated and not an NPC auto-punishment however.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.