A Value Skill Idea

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, September 13, 2014, 11:28:58 PM

I'd like to see the value skill advance as other skills do, and offer utility as the skill advances. Below are examples. Heading each section is the skill level of value.

Novice:
A curved, gaj-etched knife would seem to cost about 134 obsidian pieces.
A curved, gaj-etched knife would seem to weigh 3 stones.
This item bears the distinctive style of House Khann.

Apprentice:
A curved, gaj-etched knife seems to be made primarily of obsidian.

Journeyman:
A curved, gaj-etched knife seems to be a slashing weapon.

Advanced:
A curved, gaj-etched knife might be a quick weapon.

Master:
A curved, gaj-etched knife might help one with parrying blows.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Perhaps add that stuff to the analyze skill so as to give it an actual path upwards?

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I also really like this idea.  I wouldn't want to tie it to the analyze skill because there is really no way to get the analyze skill past novice.  And it seems like it would fit in with value, because it's not just telling you the monetary value, but what the value of the item might be in terms of usefulness.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Definitely a great idea.

Tacking on to this, I'd also like to see value at higher levels have it's rounding up feature taken off. Perhaps only at master, but the fact a feather and a brick both weigh 1 stone gets annoying. This wasn't as big a problem when the scale NPCs existed and one could get accurate results off them in a realistic fashion, but since their removal it's definitely both annoying and immersion-breaking.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

Just bumping because this is an excellent idea.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I'm BleakOne and I approve this message.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

This is a good suggestion. However, someone skilled with a weapon or armor such as a warrior should be able to tell how good or what is special about a weapon or piece of armor as well and even more so than a merchant.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I agree, tiger.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on September 13, 2014, 11:28:58 PM
I'd like to see the value skill advance as other skills do, and offer utility as the skill advances. Below are examples. Heading each section is the skill level of value.

Master:
A curved, gaj-etched knife might help one with parrying blows.

I can see a whole lot of problems with this, as nice as it sounds. First example that popped into my head:

Desert Elf Warrior/archer wields a bone parrying sword. If you look at it:

This sword is made of bone. It is somewhat dulled, wide and thicker than most swords. Given its structure, it is used more for light, quick defense, as opposed to a heavier, less wieldy shield. Though not razor-sharp like its obsidian counterparts, it appears as if it could also cause damage if swung by someone with skill and strength. The depiction of a sun eclipsed by a closed fist is burnished into the handle.

(or something to that effect)

This desert elf warrior/archer, if he were to "value" this item, shouldn't be /unable/ to discern that:

it's bone
it's a parrying weapon
it's a slashing weapon
it is heavier than his usual sword, but lighter than a shield.
it is Kurac-make.

And yet, since the desert elf warrior/archer is a warrior/archer desert elf, he doesn't get the value skill and therefore can't see any of this? That makes no sense at all.

That's just one example, but it applies across the boards. A Kadian First Hunter who grows up as family, in the estate, surrounded by fine clothing and accessories, taught by masters of the trade, should be able to tell that something is made out of silk, that it's lightweight, that is is of the Kadian make, that it's northern or southern in design. The player shouldn't be informed via the code that his character isn't capable of knowing this, simply because he doesn't have the value skill.

And so on and so forth. I think this is common enough that the suggestion isn't "the rule" and the "exceptions" are the "exceptions."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

But that's what the main description is for. The layman. People who are more than laymen have the value skill, and so may recognize additional characteristics.

My 2 (not very coherent) 'sid.

Value skill.  Everyone has it.

Novice level gives you a rough pricing for the thing.   If it is a weapon and if you have a weapon skill, you can tell what sort of weapon it is (slashing, piercing, etc).

Apprentice level gives you a better price estimate, and lets you know who the maker may be (House Blah, Blah or tribe Blah, blah, etc).  If you have a crafting skill to match it's type, you get what Venomz mentioned above, and have a rough idea of one of the components that made it.  If it is a Clan item, you gotta be in the clan, sorry.

I'd cap every guild that does not have value as an innate skill at the Apprentice level.  Anyone with a crafting skill that advances high enough may get a quick message of "you feel you could make this," if they have the skill level to do so.  In depth analysis would be needed to get a full listing of components.

Anyone who progresses in their weaponry skill should be able to see what sorts of weapons are such and such, and compare them against one another after attaining Advanced.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 11, 2014, 11:17:24 AM
But that's what the main description is for. The layman. People who are more than laymen have the value skill, and so may recognize additional characteristics.

A skilled warrior whose studied combat and practiced it first-hand for years, shouldn't need a merchant-guild with 2 hours play time to tell him that his weapon is made of bone, it's for parrying, and that it's a sword. If the mdesc is enough for anyone to tell what it is, then why bother adding it to the value skill? If the mdesc isn't descriptive enough, then perhaps there's a flaw in the description.

There's no reason why a skilled warrior shouldn't know what kind of weapon he's using, and all kinds of details about it. Same as there's no reason why a 20-year-old Kadian First Hunter shouldn't know that his cousin the Merchant's pants are made out of silk, even if the word "silk" isn't in the sdesc or mdesc. I don't think adding more lines to the value skill is the way to go. I think making mdescs more descriptive would be more appropriate.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Bah.

I agree that if you have a weapon skill, you should know what weapons in that branch do. I'd suggest armor repair or armor crafting for knowing what armor does.

But to the rest of it, bah. I wouldn't want to see anything changed for the main descriptions. I think those are fine as is. And it gives the value skill a universal use, across classes.