Common Character Catastrophies

Started by deathkamon, September 10, 2014, 12:27:57 AM

What does you're character most commonly die from?

Beautiful creatures and habitants of Zalanthas (NPCs)
28 (38.9%)
Broken the laws and got arena'd/executed
1 (1.4%)
Plot-based reasons
10 (13.9%)
Enviornmental things like falling off the Shield Wall
6 (8.3%)
Not getting enough food/water
2 (2.8%)
I haven't experienced my character die yet (somehow)
5 (6.9%)
A mix of some things/everything.
16 (22.2%)
Other Reasons
4 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Assassinated/PK - 4
Lost in the sand/dehydrated - 1
Wildlife - 11
Suicide - 1
Stored - 2

I first read the title of this thread as Common Character Catchphrases. (Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Amos?)

I think about half my character deaths were to NPCs, and the rest to PCs. As for "plot based reasons," that's not always easy to tell.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Of my three that have died...

1 - Vicious animals
1 - Fall damage
1 - Storage
Part-Time Internets Lady

Accidentally turned to red paste by clanmember: 1
Plot related PK: 1
Critter: 3
Ate something bad: 1
Weird crash-related bug death I probably could have filed a rez for but didn't: 1
Gladiator: 1
Falling off shit: 1

Storage: 12

Died while linkdead so who knows what the hell: 3

Moral of the story: don't go linkdead in the desert. Think one of those 'critter' deaths was linkdead too but can't tell from my last account notes.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

September 10, 2014, 11:42:29 PM #29 Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:45:53 PM by Is Friday
Quote from: Is Friday on September 10, 2014, 12:29:50 AM
As a professional tryhard and character suicider (151 characters and counting), I voted for the NPC option. Gotta have dat death by random aggressive thing.
Okay, I counted them up. This is rough, since I might have messed it up a bit.

2   Dehydration
9   Unknown (no given reason in account)
54 NPC (gith, erdlu, mek, stilt lizard, kylori, jakhal, falcon, snake, magick thing, yompar, tembo, beetle, vestric, carru, elf, anakore, raptor, spider, gith, HG, halfling, scrab, gizhat, water elementalist, gortok, mantis, snake, mul, kryl, ox, hawk, human, bahamet, soldier. In no particular order. Some NPCs more than once, different breed, etc.)
18 PC
43 Stored
8   Environment (poison, fall, death flag)
5   Blood loss
1   Immortal Fury (thanks Rath!)
1   Alive
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

1x PK'd (saw it comin' as a player, rolled with it IC - Elves don't betray tribe right?)
1x Rinthi NPC (wat)
1x Raptorrrrr (which I think I suicided to, lol wtf first PC, h/elf with -amazing- stats. IIRC, EG, VG, EG, AI)
1x Spiderrrrr (lag wassup)
1x Sparring accident (geez thanks Jihaen)
1x Clean Insides (Agent, that wasn't wine)
5x Stored ( :( Some I regret )

1x Twitchy, slack jawed man (Bane of my existence)
2x Soldiers mang
6x Critters
8x Stored
1x Allanaki Templar rending my poor pregnant girl on the cuddler because I was a newb. Awesome death.
5x PK
1x Sparring Accident with clubs
1x Stored because I overstepped my bounds. (:c Sad to see him go, but it was probably for the better, I was doing stupid stuff in my early days.)
1x Gladiator
1x Awesome staff run plot!

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

This thread is making me feel less bad about all my storages.

ETA: A lot of my storages actually have been due to taking another role. So. Not so terrible.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I've only played a handful of characters total.

Out of those, maybe six of them last for more than a couple days played.

Out of those, five were stored and one died ignominiously somewhere south of Tuluk.

I did once lose an incredibly awesome character to the twitchy, slackjawed asshole, though. That was frustrating, because I think he had a ton of potential.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Alright, I'll play this game too.  It must be said though, in my earlier Arm days there was so much newb.  So much.  
And I was stubborn and did a lot of "Oh, I don't know what went wrong with -that- character, but I sure don't need any help.  I'm -suuuure- I can figure this game out myself it was just something wrong with that character, I'll make a new one and something will suddenly click and then I won't suck so much" type thinking.  
The result of this is a whole bunch of unmemorable characters that bumbled about haphazardly before something clicked and I managed to keep one alive longer than oh, a day.  
Of course, most of these bumbling characters died unmemorable deaths too, thank goodness for account notes to remind me.  :)

NPC people: 7 (Mostly templars/soldiers.  A walk in an alley in Storm that didn't work out.  Umm...one was the white robe in the water temple...really?)
NPC critters: 19 (halfling, sewage horror, few gith here and there, scorpion, raptor, scrab, cilops, some sort of forest gurth (I think?), kylori, couple different gortoks, kryl, dujats and carru)
No death listed: 5
Loss of blood: 4 (One of these I remember for sure was at the hands of the a certain Mr. Twitchy NPC.  Man that guy can mess you up good...)
Dehydration: 1
Falling: 1 (Wait, it wasn't the fall, the fall was just fine.  Was the real sudden stop at the end that didn't work out for me.)
PK: 1

Huh.  I should do this. I have no idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

September 11, 2014, 05:19:17 PM #36 Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 05:21:03 PM by Cutthroat
2x Tarantulas.
1x Murdered in the Gaj.
1x Killed by a silt-horror (also, the only character to die during an event on the History page).
1x Magic accident.
1x Sparring accident.
2x Stored.
2x Died in the Arena (they were special characters for the Arena).
21 completely forgettable deaths.
1x Alive.

September 11, 2014, 06:18:01 PM #37 Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:19:54 PM by TheWanderer
1 x Half-Giant Guard NPC STOMP
1 x Beetle chucking me off its back so I can get eaten by another beetle
2 x Storage
1 x Nosave combat off in my ten paces duel
1 x Falling down a pit and meeting da starving (at least, I pretend he was starving) elf npc in dat pit
1 x Falling off a roof.
Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: Cutthroat on September 11, 2014, 05:19:17 PM
1x Killed by a silt-horror (also, the only character to die during an event on the History page).

Haha, that was you?  :D

If there was a book about that RPT, your death would have happened at the beginning of the chapter titled, Shit Gets Real.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

1x put on bone helmet found in the rinth (first PC)
1x curse of the desc change app (second PC, that second bahamet came out of NOWHERE)
1x Arena death (Hey, breed, put on this robe and go dance for the crowd! 3rd PC)
1x huge black beetle on the way to Storm (4th PC)
1x tarantula I -couldn't- bribe for some reason (worked so well with the scrab and the previous tarantula. 5th PC)
1x killed by new boss (Bleh. 6th PC)
1x curious raptor who found my strange skin interesting (I was fine until I woke up! Damn auto-wake-up from a fall!)
1x freaking gith trench (they should move the trench closer to the Fist :P)
1x immortal fury (Oh wow, WTF?!)
1x killed by new boss again (Bleh)
1x intentional suicide by other player.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on September 11, 2014, 08:31:05 PM

Your Byn sergeant walk off the shield wall or what?
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: CodeMaster on September 11, 2014, 10:40:05 PM

Is THAT what every intentional suicide is?

Quote from: James de Monet on September 11, 2014, 06:58:00 PM
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 11, 2014, 05:19:17 PM

Haha, that was you?  :D

If there was a book about that RPT, your death would have happened at the beginning of the chapter titled, Shit Gets Real.

It was a true redshirt moment for me.

Over a hundred characters from an old account I cant include, but this is somewhat accurate for the current.

26 deadly creatures (tarantulas, halflings, beetles, gith mostly)
25 city people (random npcs and soldiers)
6 negative HP
5 entered a room and died from the death flag
2 PC
1 Terradin, yuck
1 Fall to the death

Quote from: Saellyn on September 12, 2014, 01:00:12 PM

Hard to imagine more that could get someone else killed as well. You'd think if they're going to do that they'd go off alone, not lure a Mekillot back to their buddies as well... Unless they wanted an audience for their suicide.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 12, 2014, 09:45:49 PM
Quote from: Saellyn on September 12, 2014, 01:00:12 PM

Hard to imagine more that could get someone else killed as well. You'd think if they're going to do that they'd go off alone, not lure a Mekillot back to their buddies as well... Unless they wanted an audience for their suicide.

Ahaha! I was intentionally being vague because I didn't want to give away to the player who performed the act who I was playing, but no, I wasn't killed by another PC committing suicide. Still, the attempts at untangling the meaning were quite amusing so I was further discouraged from providing an explanation.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Hmm, of the ones that lasted more than a a couple RL days:

2x Mount (one undomesticated; the other domesticated)
4x PK (while sexxing, nosex: Arm of the Dragon, nosex: but I totally should have; absolutely nosex: Arena)

So, I think I'm doing fantastic.  Why do you hate me, mounts and players?

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Stored: 1
Imm killed on request: 1
Rinth NPCs: 6
Wilderness NPCs: 12
PK'd: 7
Self kills through magick: 2
Cleaning fluid: 1

Fell asleep after school/work, dehydrated: 5

Never been templared.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on September 12, 2014, 11:50:13 PM
Fell asleep after school/work, dehydrated: 5

lol

<3
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Honestly, I think most of the PK deaths in this game come from people who try to ride hard out of the gates towards a powerful character.  Not literally out of the gates, like leaving the city, but right out of character creation, they start trying to assert power.  People don't take kindly to that, and anyone who's more patient than those people will usually win.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger