Barsook's Wood Stain Question

Started by FantasyWriter, September 05, 2014, 07:05:25 PM

Some natural wood stains that could be Zalanthanized:

from http://www.moneypit.com/article/natural-non-toxic-wood-stain-coffee-berries-and-more

QuoteNatural Non-toxic Wood Stain with Coffee, Berries and More

If you're looking for a natural, non-toxic wood stain [1], you might want to raid your kitchen. Coffee, tea, vinegar, walnut hulls and even certain berries can be used to stain wood.

Tea

One simple way to stain wood is to boil tea leaves in two cups of water until you have a deep tea concentrate. Simply brush the hot tea water onto your wood. Different teas will give you different shades. natural wood stains

Coffee

Brew some strong coffee and let it cool; then apply with your favorite brush or rag. Let it really soak the wood. It's okay if the coffee gathers in small puddles on the wood. You'll get a deeper stain [2] depending on how long you let the stain sit. Check it ten minutes after application by wiping a section clean of coffee. Not dark enough for you? Let the coffee sit longer.

Walnut Hulls

Black walnut hulls, soaked for several days, create a dark wood stain [3]. Strain the mixture before you use it. Some people prefer to boil the hulls first, and then allow them to steep.

Black Raspberries

Black raspberries are an effective wood stain when crushed and then rubbed onto wood. Allow the berry pulp to dry on the wood, and then wipe it away. Berry stains will fade in direct sunlight, so this method is better for wood that stays indoors.

Vinegar

Vinegar works as a wood stain when you add a metal object in the mix and let it sit in a glass container for a week. A handful of pennies will produce a beautiful pale Caribbean blue stain. A wad of steel wool will give you a rich reddish hue. A combination of tea and a metal object in vinegar will produce a black stain.

As with any untried stain, start with a piece of scrap wood. Use the same type of wood you'll be staining, as stains can look dramatically different on different woods. Not only will this allow you to see if you like the stain, but you'll have the opportunity to apply several coats to see how the shade changes and deepens. Keep track of how many applications it takes to get your desired result.

Keep in mind, too, that stained wood can change with age–often with attractive results, but be prepared to potentially end up with a different look later.

For stains that may be prone to fading, consider using a clear sealant [4] on top of your stain.

For crafty folks who like to keep it natural, non-toxic wood stains from coffee, tea, vinegar, walnut hulls and berries are a fun, artistic and wholesome way to decorate.  
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Wax and oils for sealants, I would think.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Thanks FW for making this, I was thinking doing it in the first place but I wanted to have a staffer to answer it first for some reason.

Quote from: Barzalene on September 05, 2014, 07:12:22 PM
Wax and oils for sealants, I would think.

I would think the same but out of what?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

regardless of whether there are coded items for it, it appears many crafts from woodworking are completed with a fully stained finish, which I have always wished could be a secondary craft from an "unfinished" version of the craft from the wooden items it was made from.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Same here.  And this is why I asked the question in ATS so if I want or someone wants to mastercraft a woodwork with stain on it.  Would be be possible to roleplay that to teach someone how to stain or seal a wooden piece was also my thought along with the first.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Wikipedia says there are many animal and plant sources of wax.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wax#Plant_waxes
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I believe one of the rooms IG mentions weezer wax in a shop. So that may also be a type of wax which could be used, maybe.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on September 05, 2014, 07:55:54 PM
I believe one of the rooms IG mentions weezer wax in a shop. So that may also be a type of wax which could be used, maybe.

I wouldn't want to be the one collecting the wax.

What about ear wax?
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

> look table
This long, rectangular table is crafted from sturdy grey agafari wood.
The wood itself has been darkly 'stained' using earwax, apparently -
absolutely disgusting.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Wezer wax, cunyati oil, berries, the variety of teas, and fatty oil stuff used for isilt come to mind.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Not really a staining item, but it's related to the subject.

Quote from: http://old.armageddon.org/general/plantlife2.htmlCrimosa: This leafy bush grows low to the ground, usually in a sprawling patch-like formation. Extending from its short, woody branches are a multitude of plump, oblong yellow leaves. Viscid red droplets, oozing to the surface of the leaves serve as a deathtrap for unsuspecting small insects.
This bush grows well in scrubby or grassy terrain. Sap is used as a fixing agent.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

You were asking in order to find out if they already exist first, before trying to mastercraft or otherwise submit them, right?  I don't remember where (and if I did I wouldn't say) but I think I've seen pots of red and white waxy pastes. That could be them?  Try looking around in appropriate shops? 

If it already exists then it doesn't need to be made, right?  Or you could submit some brand new-kind.  Purple stain made from belshuns and ground-up beetles?  Or purple dye and some kind of root or nut ground to paste.  Whatever.