Seeing Yourself Bleed

Started by deathkamon, August 19, 2014, 12:54:58 AM

I think that a player should be able to see themselves bleeding whenever they type score, assess self etc. instead of having people reminding you IC that you're bleeding. It really helps to look down at yourself and recognize that you're character is bleeding so that you can treat yourself properly with a bandaid or some other thing to stop yourself from bleeding.

I like that.

Let's also add drops of blood whenever we walk!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

You do, for people who can see it.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

It seems there are two sets of verbal stats describing your character's condition.  The first is when you see a code-generated ldesc:

(nil)
bleeding lightly
bleeding heavily
bleeding profusely

The second is when you actually "look" at them:

is in excellent condition
looks relatively fit
is in moderate condition
does not look well

(these are more numerous, I believe)

It is probably good that you get more information (i.e., finer granularity) by looking at someone.  But one of the reasons deathkamon's issue arises is because the ranges aren't aligned.  For example you can look at yourself and see that you are in moderate condition, but not know whether you're bleeding lightly or heavily.

A couple possible solutions:

1. Make the two ranges align somehow.  If you're relatively fit or in moderate condition you're bleeding lightly.  If you do not look well or are in poor condition, you're bleeding heavily.  Etc.

2. Augment the "look" conditions to include the "ldesc" bleeding conditions:

is in excellent condition
looks relatively fit
looks relatively fit but bleeding lightly
is in moderate condition and bleeding lightly
is in moderate condition but bleeding heavily
does not look well, and is bleeding heavily
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Please no. The bleeding appends to your sdesc are already bad enough when you've taken damage from anything other than a bladed weapon.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on August 19, 2014, 01:50:44 AM
Please no. The bleeding appends to your sdesc are already bad enough when you've taken damage from anything other than a bladed weapon.

can you give an example of this? Because I've never seen my sdesc change from being bludgeoned, for instance.

August 19, 2014, 01:55:49 AM #6 Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:58:18 AM by QuillDipper
It does.

If you fall, you get a bleeding mod.

If you get bludgeoned, you get a bleeding mod.

Poison? Bleeding mod.

Its why I set up emotes from these things way before hand so people arent like 'OMG YOU NEED BANDAIDES'

Poison is the weirdest to me, since a lot of the time it seems like the only way to explain it is that you're puking up blood, which doesn't always fit.
Part-Time Internets Lady

Oh, that's the code-generated ldesc, not the sdesc.  I catch your drift, and yeah, maybe it is a bit odd to include a detail about bleeding, rather than something more generic like being "hurt" or "unwell" or "rough" or something of the sort.

Never liked the "bleeding" ldescs. Pretty sure they are left over from stock diku messages. The only reason this change would be positive, IMO, is because it would remind players of pcs with lowered health what the code is making their ldesc look like and they can emote around it if appropriate. But if this change was made I am not sure why staff wouldn't just change the auto-ldescs to something more generic instead.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I'd almost prefer if the ldesc alterations were removed, and you had to look at someone / assess -v them in order to find out what condition they are in.

Could archers/ranged combatants really be able to tell you are near-death from that distance? Wouldn't you just be prone? And wouldn't it make it a little riskier to hunt?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I'd say the ldescs should be changed to something more generic, and then coded messages should get put in along the lines of 'You feel unwell/pained/in massive pain/ohgod, where did all that pain come from?/Whelp. That was a mekillot.' As it stands, the way it works now is just silly. You shouldn't be bleeding from most poisons, especially profusely. You shouldn't be bleeding from half the things that the ldesc comes up from.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

I dig bcw81's idea for the realism and the roleplay ability.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: LauraMars on August 19, 2014, 02:31:52 AM
Never liked the "bleeding" ldescs. Pretty sure they are left over from stock diku messages. The only reason this change would be positive, IMO, is because it would remind players of pcs with lowered health what the code is making their ldesc look like and they can emote around it if appropriate. But if this change was made I am not sure why staff wouldn't just change the auto-ldescs to something more generic instead.

Agreed.  Incidentally I think you give stock Diku a bit too much credit. :)  You'd appreciate Arm's bells and whistles tenfold if you saw how feature-primitive stock Diku really is.

I wouldn't mind a more generic set of stock messages.  The tressy-tressed woman is here, looking a little beat up.  The tressy-tressed woman is here, looking battered.  The tressy-tressed woman is here, looking worse for wear.  The tressy-tressed woman is here, looking seriously wounded.  The tressy-tressed woman is here, dying for real or something.  I don't even remember how many there are, I'm just tossing stuff out there.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Votes for doing away with bleeding mods.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

The tall, muscular man is standing here.

The tall, muscular man is standing here, looking relatively fit.

The tall, muscular man is standing here, in moderate condition.

The tall, muscular man is standing here, not looking well.

The tall, muscular man is standing here, in poor condition.

The tall, muscular man is standing here, in terrible condition.

The tall, muscular man is standing here, looking near death.

The tall, muscular man is in critical condition.

Quote from: Delirium on August 19, 2014, 06:28:35 PM

This, I was about to suggests the same thing.

Quote from: Eyeball on August 19, 2014, 06:37:20 PM
Quote from: Delirium on August 19, 2014, 06:28:35 PM

This, I was about to suggests the same thing.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Yeah, that's great actually.

~Jack Vance~

I approve.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I like Delirium's list too. Though does "critical" really rank below "looking near death"? That seems odd to me.

I tend to agree with Laura, but given the tools the codebase has to deal with..

I guess that's a solution that'll work.

Although won't it get confusing if:

The Hodor Man is standing here, bleeding heavily and looking tired?

Quote from: Tuannon on August 19, 2014, 07:18:52 PM
I tend to agree with Laura, but given the tools the codebase has to deal with..

I guess that's a solution that'll work.

Although won't it get confusing if:

The Hodor Man is standing here, bleeding heavily and looking tired?

I think if your ldesc is changed due to HP loss, it overrides the change due to stamina loss (so your example would never arise).

it would just be: The Hodor Man is standing here, bleeding heavily.

+1 Delirium.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I am down with that list
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job