Learning a new language

Started by Bushranger, August 07, 2014, 11:33:13 PM

As I understand the way the code works now every character has the opportunity to learn all of the languages. It's not like Bash or Floristry where the skill needs to be included in either your guild or sub guild. So long as you can hear the language being spoken you have a (random) chance of picking up the basics and can then start trying to speak in it. Sub-guild may help increase that random chance and I would assume a high wisdom attribute would also help. I would like to know if Teach can also be used to give someone the basics of a language or if they need to have branched it with the random listen chance before teach has any effect? To put it another way, I know you can not teach someone Bash or Floristry if they do not have those skills but will the teach command help someone with language skills before they appear on their skill list?

I do know that if after a number of lessons between a teacher and a student that if the student still has not picked up the basics of a new language you can send logs in a request to ask staff to add the new language to your character but I'm sure we would all love to reduce staff's request work-load, right?
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

i would assume that teach won't work unless they have the base skill. If you want to increase their odds of picking it up, just keep speaking to them in that language.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Fairly certain that the teach command doesn't apply to languages.

Quote from: manipura on August 08, 2014, 12:48:51 AM

She speaks the truth.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 08, 2014, 01:07:30 AM
Quote from: manipura on August 08, 2014, 12:48:51 AM

She speaks the truth.

My career in Japan was a total sham!

The slick, shifty-eyed elf says, in 'rinthi-accented sirihish: "Psst. I'm teaching Allundean. Twenty coins a lesson."
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

It would be neat if Teach worked on languages, and also the read write skills, because kidnapping and torturing a Kadian for Cavilish, for example, is a lot of work.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.