Crafting & knowing what you can make

Started by CodeMaster, August 07, 2014, 02:14:40 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that there are only two ways to know which craftables you can make:

1 - you have the craftable item in your inventory and the necessary skill, and you 'analyze' the item
2 - you have the exact ingredients in your inventory, and typing "craft <ing1> <ing2> <ing3>" gives you possible craftables.

With 2, above, you could stumble upon new crafts, but the combinatorics and the typing involved are a bit daunting.

What if, at advanced/master levels of craft, you could achieve 2 with a partial ingredients list (e.g., one ingredient short)?

So, like this:

$ craft <ing1> <ing2>
You could make <item1> from this.
You could make <item2> from this.
[SUGGESTION: advanced/master crafters might see the following]
If you had <ing3>, you could make <item3> from this.
If you had <ing4>, you could make <item3> from this.

I don't know if this is a small or large coding project (might require additional data structures for efficiency), but I thought I'd throw it up on the board to see what people thought.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Not quite what you are looking for, but we have discussed a similar idea in the past.  However, you may be unaware of a command, analyze.

Specifically, you can (at the moment) craft with an item and see what you can make with that specific item or items.  Requirements:  must have appropriate skill, skill level, and clan to see potential crafts.  You can also analyze a finished product, in which case you can see what specific items would make that finished product.  Requirements:  must have appropriate skill, skill level, and clan to see crafting factors. 

An improvement would be:  crafting with a potential craftable and then seeing that with other unmentioned materials, you could make a specific finished product.  This has been bounced around staff-side.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Thanks both for the replies. :)

solera - Asking a PC is the third option I didn't list, you're right!  My only beef with that it can lead to minor RP inconsistencies.

By this I mean an ostensible "master weaponscrafter" with a giant fang in front of him really shouldn't need to ask Joe Grebber how to make a rudimentry longknife out of said fang, unless he's some kind of idiot-savant.

Well no. I'm sure there are good examples to support your argument, but that's not one. If you saw a knife that appeared to be made of a giant fang, you would have a play around with a fang. It's the more complicated recipes, sometimes not often seen in shops, that rely partly on PCs to teach how-to, or what-you-can-do-with-this-and-this.

August 08, 2014, 06:06:15 AM #5 Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 10:18:15 AM by X-D
QuoteAn improvement would be: crafting with a potential craftable and then seeing that with other unmentioned materials, you could make a specific finished product

I was going to start a thread with just that suggestion.

Should be a simple mod to existing code.
and the two other suggestions on the thread are not much help since there are many "lost" crafts...ie. craftables that do not load into the game without staff help so cannot be analyzed....and people do not even know about them to even ask.  As to finding a pc that knows a craft....i have found that to be even less likely to be successful.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

QuoteAn improvement would be:  crafting with a potential craftable and then seeing that with other unmentioned materials, you could make a specific finished product.  This has been bounced around staff-side.

I'm a little on the fence with this suggestion.

On one hand, I had a crafter in a House once who spent a fair bit of time in-game trying to put combinations of 'things' together to figure out two specific craftables which were necessary to make a bunch of the other House items.  I asked other PCs if they knew anything about the two items in question and I analyzed every single item in the crafting hall and still didn't know.  I roleplayed asking the NPCs in the crafting hall, who presumably might have seen the items made at some point, and got nowhere.  I asked my employer if one of his higher-ups would be able to find a sample or something for us so I could analyze it and was told that I'd have to figure it out somehow.  Apparently these two House items that were used in a fair amount of other House items...were things that absolutely no one knew anything about, as X-D said, at that particular time the were 'lost' crafts. 
After much roleplay and trial and error, I finally did figure them out which was immensely satisfying.  However, to this day, when I think of one of them in particular I still am sort of baffled because it's one of those craft recipes where you look at the ingredients and go "Oh.  You put -those- things together and somehow it makes X.  Right...sure it does.  That makes no sense at all really, but somehow it makes the item in question.  Gotcha."  So yes, in that instance it would have been nice to have had a little hint to help the process along.

On the other hand, if I'm a merchant with most of my weaponcrafting skills at advanced or master, I'm not sure I want to sit back contemplating my piece of bone and be hit with a wall of text telling me all the possible weapons in game that incorporate that piece of bone.  Same with something like cloth-working.  If I'm a high level merchant and I have a length of linen I'm mulling over, think of the ridiculous amount of suggestions I'd be hit with by typing 'craft linen.' 

You could make ...all these things out of this linen.
If you had this colour dye you could make these other dozen things as well.
If you had this other colour dye you could make all -these- other things, too.
And with -this- other dye, all these other things.
And so on and so on.

August 08, 2014, 10:11:06 AM #7 Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 10:15:47 AM by X-D
Actually, I would not have it go that way, as Nyr said, "unmentioned" materials.

So, What you would instead see is...

craft bone
You can craft this.
And this.
And this.

It is also part of.
This,
That
and this other thing.

You still have to figure out the parts to the second bit.
Also, It would likely not be too hard to put a toggle in so you can turn Find all and find only off and on.

IE, Find all, Find all items that take this component, inside my skills and skill range.
Find only the items that take only these components.

As to the wall of text, sure, that would be an inssue if you were simply doing a single component, But adding even one more component would shorten that drastically.

And honestly, lets face it, if you are a master clothworker, you are not typing craft sandcloth, you are typing, craft sandcloth dye diamond silk 2.diamond.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

August 08, 2014, 01:17:09 PM #8 Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:21:54 PM by CodeMaster
First, I'm hyped about what Nyr described is being discussed staff-side.  Screen-scroll might be an issue, but I guess that's what the MUD's built-in paging system ("[MORE]") is for.

solera took issue with my example (fair enough).  But I sincerely do think it's a good example so I want to defend and/or clarify it.

Quote from: solera on August 08, 2014, 05:00:30 AM
Well no. I'm sure there are good examples to support your argument, but that's not one. If you saw a knife that appeared to be made of a giant fang, you would have a play around with a fang.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but in my example I had the fang, but not the knife.  OOC, I may not even know if a knife can be made from this particular fang, even though it might be perfectly plausible to do so IC. (Let's leave the issue of mastercrafting aside for a moment.)

But somewhere in the game database, amid the myriad of objects, there is "a length of black leather cord" that will enable me to craft "a black-hilted fang longknife" from this fang.  My crafter could "play around with a fang" until the cows come home, but without this (very arguably OOC) knowledge, I will still have no idea how to make this knife (or possibly any knife at all).

Sorry to be a pedant.  Onto something more lighthearted...

MacGyver was a master crafter.  He may have never made a lockpick out of a piece of chewed bubblegum and a straw before, and he may never have discussed the possibility with another crafter.  He simply had the intrinsic ability to see how tools could be made from objects he might not have interacted with before, and I'd like to see more MacGyvers in the game - or even be one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOEe1uzurKo

[edit: fixed misspelled macgyver, added theme music link]

Quote from: CodeMaster on August 08, 2014, 01:17:09 PM
MacGyver was a master crafter.  He may have never made a lockpick out of a piece of chewed bubblegum and a straw before, and he may never have discussed the possibility with another crafter.  He simply had the intrinsic ability to see how tools could be made from objects he might not have interacted with before, and I'd like to see more MacGyvers in the game - or even be one.

Clearly MacGyver was played by a veteran player who'd already visited all these recipes in previous characters.   ;)
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I get you now, Codemaster. I agree with what's been suggested in this thread. I suppose I just wanted to say don't forget the fun and challenge of the PC option.
Aaaaand  , this game's not meant to be easy X-D.  ;)

If you needed a shard of obsidian, a black cord, and a black snake skin to make a snake-skinned hilted knife;
- When you typed craft shard, you would see:
   You can make part of a snake-skinned hilted knife.
- When you typed craft cord, you would see:
- When you typed craft snake, you would see:

I would love this a great deal - the system is too convoluted to start over with, and too obtuse to be intuitive.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Exactly 7DV
And the bonus is, it should be an easy mod to existing code.

Allow the code to be able to search for any instance instead of just exact match, add a couple lines so it echos showing one is exact match and the other is not and we are in business.

Without making it too easy for the player or giving away all the information.
Lizzie:

I actually propose that instead of messing with the CRAFT command with this, you add a new command. Maybe PROBE or something.

I mean, maybe I am looking at it wrong, but some certain items, you craft (item) and you get scrolled. Imagine then having possibilities of what you could craft from those items? And some of the items I am thinking of are used in a lot of recipes. PROBE or something similar would at least only return the possibilities of recipes for missing components. And maybe I don't agree with an echo stating exactly what could be made, either. Something generic like.. PROBE (item) ...  you could make part of a knife with that.

This seems like a way for people to OCD their way through learning crafting recipes if they have the time and patience..
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

If staff would put page-scroll breaks in the list, much like merchant shop lists, this wouldn't matter much.

As far as knowing the item you can make with it, yes, that needs to happen. Not some generic knife or clothing stuff, but the actual item. There's no reason not to be able to see this, since our crafting system is so unrealistic as it is. If we worked via components, by combine hilts and crossguards and blades to make weapons, for example, I could see this.

But our crafting system is not like that at all, so yes, a system that tells me that I can use an item to make part of another item seems ideal.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I think upgrades to analyze could be useful.

As is, when you analyze a craft and get the list of items required you can find objects that are also crafts. I've always thought you should be able to find out what all items in a recipe are crafted from if you have the sufficient level.

For example, some axes and spears include items crafted with other skills (hafts, poles). I'm suggesting with the sufficient skill in say axe making, you would know how the haft is made, just not how to make one yourself. This would allow people to find the raw materials, and try to find someone with the skill they lack.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

Quote from: WithSprinkles on August 08, 2014, 04:22:21 PM
I actually propose that instead of messing with the CRAFT command with this, you add a new command. Maybe PROBE or something.

The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

While we're at it -

If we had ALL the correct materials, AND the actual skill to make a thing, I really wish there was a way to see the mdesc of the thing before we tried to make it. Here's why:

craft silk buttons

You can make that into a silk dress.

emote cuts the silk. She trims the hem to around shin-length, and adds a pair of cap-sleeves. Along the back, she applies half a dozen buttons for easy closure.

>You successfully make a heavily-embroidered silk dress.

examine dress

This dress has all kinds of details on it that might've been fun to emote, but you didn't know what it was supposed to look like. Also it's long, has no sleeves, and the buttons are sewn in an intricate pattern making a rosette at the hip. It's really a slip-over gown.

If we could do something like - craftdesc silk buttons (aka cdesc) that'd be awesome. Not only would we know what RP options exist for that item, but we'd also know whether or not it's even the item we want to make.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Adding, if vaguely, that I know of some recipes that all take (food item1) + (food item2) to make Fancy Lad Snack Cakes. You can interchange food item 2 with any FLAVOR of snack cake you want, and food item 1 stays the same.

Except for these two recipes, that just require the food item 2 FLAVOR. Some of these inconsistencies are why people have trouble. I even found a cooking recipe that utilized a VERY SPECIFIC sub-craft... that was flagged House Craft only. Meaning... someone must've mastercrafted one recipe, only to have it be part of a second recipe, that was flagged as House Craft only, but the first recipe was open to the public.

If there's not going to be an (admittedly absurdly lengthy) project into normalizing some of the crafting recipes, a band aid would be a system like this, where the Database search is more of a "SELECT * FROM t_recipes WHERE component1 LIKE N'<input>' OR WHERE component 2 LIKE N'<input>'" etc etc etc. It could search all recipes that have that item as a component. Its a laggy command if the recipe table is super huge, and it would get even more lengthy if, instead of that, there are two nested queries to separate out the difference between "component" and "goes into a component of a larger recipe".
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Lizzie on August 09, 2014, 05:41:54 AM
While we're at it -

If we had ALL the correct materials, AND the actual skill to make a thing, I really wish there was a way to see the mdesc of the thing before we tried to make it. Here's why:

craft silk buttons

You can make that into a silk dress.

emote cuts the silk. She trims the hem to around shin-length, and adds a pair of cap-sleeves. Along the back, she applies half a dozen buttons for easy closure.

>You successfully make a heavily-embroidered silk dress.

examine dress

This dress has all kinds of details on it that might've been fun to emote, but you didn't know what it was supposed to look like. Also it's long, has no sleeves, and the buttons are sewn in an intricate pattern making a rosette at the hip. It's really a slip-over gown.

If we could do something like - craftdesc silk buttons (aka cdesc) that'd be awesome. Not only would we know what RP options exist for that item, but we'd also know whether or not it's even the item we want to make.

I hardly ever emote the first time I make a new (to me) thing for that reason.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: WanderingOoze on August 08, 2014, 06:24:17 PM
Quote from: WithSprinkles on August 08, 2014, 04:22:21 PM

Probe is already a command.  Find out it ;-)
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

August 09, 2014, 08:20:01 PM #22 Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:30:15 AM by solera
Question: There are some craftable items, not one off, but crafted for exclusive people or specific situations. Most of them wouldn't normally be left lying around on clan tables. I think it would be possible as 7-DV describes it, for any skilled recruit to copy it.  Do you think?

Quote from: X-D on August 08, 2014, 06:06:15 AM
QuoteAn improvement would be: crafting with a potential craftable and then seeing that with other unmentioned materials, you could make a specific finished product

I was going to start a thread with just that suggestion.

Should be a simple mod to existing code.
and the two other suggestions on the thread are not much help since there are many "lost" crafts...ie. craftables that do not load into the game without staff help so cannot be analyzed....and people do not even know about them to even ask.  As to finding a pc that knows a craft....i have found that to be even less likely to be successful.

A tangent, but from reading this I had an idea that seemed interesting, though I'm only guessing at what are the lost crafts.  But the idea reading this suggested to me was that if the lost crafts could be gathered into some number of very narrow sub-crafts, then maybe a merchant could learn a random one when a craft is mastered fully?  Making saddles, or lockpicks, or ancient allenaki noble dessert-foods, or paintings, or small sand-skiffs, or whatever.  I don't know what isn't normally craftable.  Maybe they would just learn the new subcraft, or have a chance to.  Or maybe there could be an experiment command that eats money and some resource item and has a chance to uncover something?

Crafting with an item should compare it to other items in your inventory/in the room to tell you if you could craft something with those too.