Skill question

Started by Drayab, September 12, 2003, 11:05:00 PM

Suppose that you got a particular skill was part of your subclass, and then at some point down the line your primary guild branches it. Does it reset your skill? I ask this question because something that I was pretty good at suddenly seems to be completely unpracticed.

Heh, I was wondering the same thing a few days back.

I asked something like this, but my question was about skill caps...the answer given to me was that you can max the skill at the subguild's max, but when you branch the other skill, you can practice it up from that point to your new skill cap.  This leads me to believe that you're just getting unlucky..however, I could be wrong.  If your skill does get reset, that seems like a bug to me.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Yes, unless things have changed, it resets it.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Well, as I said, I would consider that a bug.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I agree that it's either a bug, or a flaw in the code. It makes no sense, IC or OOC, to be pretty damned good at something one day, and suddenly have little knowledge about it the next.

I can see a goudra 3 leagues away today...
and an hour from now all of a sudden I can't see one in the same room.

All because I "branched" a skill? That just doesn't make any sense.

If this happens to you, just wish up and e-mail the mud.  They'll put your skill back to where it should be.

QuoteYes, unless things have changed, it resets it.

This is completely untrue. Having a skill branch that you've already had as part of your subclass has no baring over your skill levels. If your class gets a skill, you should be able to use it just fine up to the highest skill level that your class allows for the skill.

This could be a few things:

1) A string of Bad Luck. It happens sometimes.

2) Environmental issues might be stopping you from being successful at the skill. This means that something outside of your PC's skill level might be affecting your success at using the skill - typically these are really fairly IC, and can be figured out with alittle thought ("I'm wearing a full suit of steel platemail, and can't seem to get my 'hide' off - I wonder why?" - "This NPC is being guarded by 5 NPC guards, and I can't seem to steal anything from him."). You might check the helpfiles on the skills, as they sometimes have informative tidbits which might tell you how certain things affect your skills.

3) A bug of some kind. If it keeps up, then I suggest emailing the mud with a complete discription of everything that you're doing, the skills you're using, where, and on whom. You might decide to do this sooner, rather than later if you feel it is really a bug, and not one of the other two.
Tlaloc
Legend