Container Ideas: get/empty delays

Started by CodeMaster, July 25, 2014, 12:45:25 PM

July 25, 2014, 12:45:25 PM Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:47:28 PM by CodeMaster
I idead this in game but maybe some of you other good people have related ideas.

Example: Let's say my backpack has 99 white stones in it and 1 black stone.  Right now, I can type "get black.stone pack" and I will instantly have the black stone.  Fair enough.  Meanwhile, if I type "empty pack out; get black", the 100 items are going to induce a monstrous delay and it will be a long time before I have the black stone in my hand - even though, realistically, my character now has the added benefit of being able to see all the stones in front of him.

First idea: "empty pack out" should not induce a delay on the player.  You should be able to strew the contents of your pack into the room more or less as fast as you can take off your cloak.

Second idea: "get <item> pack" should induce a delay on the player, perhaps corresponding to the capacity of the pack and its contents.

Effects on gameplay: Higher-capacity backpacks aren't strictly superior than lower-capacity backpacks; PCs might opt for a couple smaller, more organized containers than a single monolithic monster-pack; someone who gets poisoned and needs a cure, or needs a key in a hurry, might opt to dump everything on the ground to get to it more quickly.

Edit: clarity
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

July 26, 2014, 12:24:05 PM #1 Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 03:23:10 PM by Eyeball
As an aside, would anyone be interested in a command that allows you to transfer a single item from one container to another?

For example, 'get leaf bag' then 'put leaf chest' would become 'move leaf bag chest' (or even 'move all.leaf bag chest').

It would reduce spam for one.

We have the pour command but, so far as I understand it, it only allows everything to be moved at once.

+1 to the move command
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points