Draggin people around??

Started by WanderingOoze, July 20, 2014, 04:33:11 AM

So, If I come across a NPC or PC that is unconcious, and my PC decides to help them instead of
take advantage (Not many times this would be the case, but on the occasion where it -might be-)
Would I get in trouble like, codedly, Via the crime code If my PC decides to drag them through the city?
would the NPC templars/soldiers/whatever Automatically assume that Im draggin this person off to
kill/rob them if they see me draggin their unconcious body through the middle of the Bazaar?

also, I dont really understand the Crim-code in general...Are there any helpful threads that explain
it, because Ive had some trouble with a few of my Earlier Pc's thinking that I was alone but then suddenly
despite being hooded and in a dark alley, I walk down the road and Bam Soldiers hacking me to bits -mantis head-

After this, I just decided against doing crimes whatsoever....but I do want to play a criminal type PC again at some point in the future,
and would like some tips on how to make them last past their first few hours of life.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

July 20, 2014, 04:51:53 AM #1 Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:53:28 AM by a french mans shirt
I don't have a good memory of this but I think:

Dragging a dead body doesn't get you noticed anywhere but Tuluk maybe, codedly or otherwise.

Nosave subdue should be on by default if the person is conscious, if they aren't it is automatically off, meaning they won't resist subdue attempts, meaning they won't struggle, meaning the soldiers won't think something is wrong. A conscious person needs to turn it off manually.

Other tips:

Getting caught planting something on someone can get you crimflagged. I really should have sent a kudos to a respected Kadian who decided to plant something on me for the fun of it.

If a soldier captures you and you resist arrest successfully, they will try to kill you. Is that what happened? I feel like this is a reflection of the fact that life is almost meaningless if not really so in the cities, and that if you resist arrest, all effort by soldiers to 'help' you is forfeit.

Kicking or bashing or doing anything you see in your skills that is aggressive during a brawl will make soldiers think you're trying to kill someone, which is an automatic death sentence. Seen this happen twice and once to myself.

The being hooded and in a dark alley is one of the cracks in the floor of the game because coding can suck sometimes. Every pc soldier in the city will instantly be aware of the fact that you've committed a crime, in total darkness, with your hood, mask, facewrap and sunslits on at the same time, and you'll stay wanted even if you slip into the rinth, change your magick elven disguise back for your original dwarven form, and leave, and also your gender, from a transvestite she-man back to a nubile woman. Its something everyone hates and fears and wishes were dead but is here to stay, for the time being, hope to god that they'll think of changing it someday.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

I THINK trying to grab anyone who doesn't wanna be grabbed is considered a hostile action.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Or flirting.
Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: TheWanderer on July 20, 2014, 09:14:40 AM
Or flirting.

Not since the ban that shall not be named!  :-*
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

You can subdue unconscious people with no crim-code issues. They automatically nosave subdue. If you're unsure you can OOC them to turn it off anyways.
Part-Time Internets Lady

Aha, Thanks for the info.

And yeah, I think I resisted arrest so that probably explains why I was attacked by the soldiers, I wasn't aware of the
nosave arrest thing, so it would be a good idea to turn that on if im planning on doing a crime, so that maybe ill have a chance
of just being arrested, and trying to talk my way out of it/serve jail time... instead of automatically pissing the soldiers off more
by fighting them? I know I might still be executed anyway, but it would be more fufilling to be questioned and shit before hand
rather than just being instantly smacked down for picking someones pocket.

Small crimes tend to still leave you in the dungeons for a game day or more, so be prepared for that. If you don't have the patience I'd just train by myself until I had a reasonable chance of success before trying to steal/break in anywhere.

Quote from: WanderingOoze on July 20, 2014, 02:57:25 PM
Aha, Thanks for the info.

And yeah, I think I resisted arrest so that probably explains why I was attacked by the soldiers, I wasn't aware of the
nosave arrest thing, so it would be a good idea to turn that on if im planning on doing a crime, so that maybe ill have a chance
of just being arrested, and trying to talk my way out of it/serve jail time... instead of automatically pissing the soldiers off more
by fighting them? I know I might still be executed anyway, but it would be more fufilling to be questioned and shit before hand
rather than just being instantly smacked down for picking someones pocket.

PC templars and soldiers are MUCH more forgiving than the crim-code. Even the worst of them.
Alea iacta est

Elves seem in my opinion codedly ideal for some kinds of crime, but the way I think it works, or should work goes like this: who you are affiliated with, what your crime was, if you are a native, and your race. Therefore an elf might not be the best first option for a first serious criminal, even just a minor one that doesn't raise brows or get attention at the bar; there are reasons why few people play elves, I would think the social stigma would turn off a newish player pretty quickly, for the pure heavy coded disadvantage if nothing else. I.E. steeper bribes, more expensive protection, less people willing to work with you or turn a blind eye, fewer friends.

Pc characters can sometimes, not all the time but sometimes, become pretty darned serious about catching and punishing criminals. Don't get upset when they kill your immersion in the name of the job, there's something about basic psychology and groupmind or whatever, although you might want to OOC: Hey, I think this amount of resources for a manhunt is about twice what it should be given the crime, unless I am unaware of something. Why we don't have a comprehensive list of prescribed punishments for levels and types of criminals is beyond me, maybe Tuluk has one, and like all the small things wrong or broken in the game it will more than likely eventually get resolved. It'd make it easier to create a pc you don't plan on having live a long time; it invites more risk, more jabs at authority, less inhibition at stealing that shiny trinket that happens to belong to the Kadian First Hunter. Yum, yum.

Right now some people in the game appear to have something almost against the very existence of hoods so you might want to look into buying a facewrap. Maybe two, one for work, one for play, if you don't want to be recognized. To that extent you can avoid thinking and feeling but that's an essential part of the game for me. Then pretty much every pc authority in the game will know your sdesc. Another crack in the floor, but maybe you like a challenge?

I know I'm making it sound badtasting, but I've had a couple of very rewarding criminal experiences involving none of the problems mentioned in this thread, and I think its one of the most fun risky lifestyles in the game, if not the most.

You're exactly right about nosave arrest. Having it set to "not resisting arrest" will give you a chance at an interrogation and life. Unless you're near a safe place to hide from soldiers, it's probably a good idea not to resist.

typing "nosave" by itself will check all your options for nosave. If you see:

You must provide one of the following toggles:
     off : Attempt all saving throws.
     all : Fail all saving throws.
  arrest : Resisting arrest.

Then you're in danger of being killed by soldiers when you fight them back, as you said.

..That means you are likely to just be arrested and questioned, but it is not a guarantee. If the soldiers think you're dangerous and should be cut down,
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: QuillDipper on July 20, 2014, 12:55:05 PM
You can subdue unconscious people with no crim-code issues. They automatically nosave subdue. If you're unsure you can OOC them to turn it off anyways.

Are you completely sure about this? (He mentioned npcs too) I just don't trust the crimcode any more than I trust an electric fence or an unknown mushroom.

I can't say I'm 100% sure, least of all when it comes to NPCs. With crim code one should always assume the worst, though, so an OOC 'pls nosave subdue' with knocked out people is the best way to go. (And preferably avoid NPCs? I'm not sure how they react when 'sleeping')
Part-Time Internets Lady

All this is very helpful, And will likely take some experimentation/probably further deaths on my part
before I really get the hang of things.  Im getting there though, and one day hopefully, Ill no longer
be -quite- the hapless noob thanks to the advice and tips i get on here. I generally try to figure things out
for myself, by reading old topics and the doc's but theres a -lot- to take in and learn, so im glad that you
guys are so helpful and willing to bear with me when I do ask silly questions on the forums.

Tuluk as a legal minor criminal is probably the easiest if you can save your money long enough to find a Templar--- not sure if you're onpeak, I've always been offpeak and have never counted on finding someone in a select group of less than seven that I felt like I needed to contact to further my story. These following are things a legal, illegal and most (nonignorant? dur, the sky is red) citizens would know:

* legal criminals are allowed to exist because they paid and are registered by the templarate.
* Disturbing the peace may be the only crime a commoner could easily commit in Tuluk. I'm not sure but I think this means being arrested carries more weight in Tuluk and can be dangerous to the criminal
* a legal criminal stays a legal criminal for life after their initial payment (i'm sure there are IC and nonIC sensitive ways around this, but am not aware of any)

Basically, if you are legal and were not caught, you didn't do anything wrong, and no one will care. Given you know common sense stuff. I'm not sure how the templerate would react to knowing your legal dude successfully stole Chosen Lord's Kickass Babyskin Bracelet, my instinct says not very well and you should hide it for an amount of time.