Two Ideas: Controlled Improvement, Controlled Fighting

Started by a french mans shirt, July 13, 2014, 02:27:17 PM

Controlled improvement--- a command that allows you to stop improving in combat training, or improve more slowly. Yes, I know, Oh my fucking god what you are suggesting, but I'm one of those players that are more in it for the story and maybe I'm a fucking slow learner, or someone with warrior/that extended subguild who doesn't want to start showing promise until later. That whole, 'starting at the bottom' story.

Controlled fighting--- I think this was brought up once, or something like it. the command would be something like >control 59. From then on until you log out or change it, you would fight with 59% of your total strength. I'd chip in an accuracy modifier, with that example usually ranging 20 points or 10 in either direction considering the person's current ability to fight, with an invisible random few points up or down occasionally, that also becoming more precise with experience. But, you know, pain to code, and I don't think anyone would complain if that part were missing. Maybe manifesting made you a lot stronger somehow, maybe you're sick of troopers telling your burglars to kick and bash. Maybe you've been holding it in for a month, seething quietly and waiting to be alone in the sparring arena with the jackass who took your sid and you couldn't prove it. Maybe you're a weakling and you don't want to kill the guy that broke into your apartment, rping it out as much as combat code would let you. Lots of nice, juicy reasons. Starting to think this second one beats the first and includes it.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

July 13, 2014, 02:59:23 PM #1 Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:01:54 PM by CodeMaster
Interesting... some people would probably be opposed to numeric toggles, but what about a "nosave defense" option?

If "nosave defense" is on, your character doesn't try to avoid attacks (but therefore also does not learn about avoiding attacks; this would let you meter your progress).

I thought about nosave offense but that might just be equivalent to "nosave combat".  One criticism of nosave combat, though, (and the related 'disengage') is that your opponent can tell you're using it.

There's also a nosave toggle that will ensure every kick hits you, every disarm disarms you, and every bash bashes you ("nosave skills" or "nosave mundane" I think?).

Nuclear option:  start a child character and deprioritize wisdom.
(Edit: or strength.  Very low strength scores, in my limited experience, mean you won't even be a threat in combat until you're relatively highly developed skillwise.  You might not want to do this though because I get the impression you want your character to actually be ABLE to become a badass some day :)).
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

>combat fight (100%)
>combat holdback (random roll of 50-80%)
>combat weak (random roll of 20-50%)

>learn on
>learn slow
>learn off
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I dig this. I would especially be down for a nosave combat toggle. It would be useful for taking beatings that your character wouldn't/couldn't defend from ICly, or letting some tiny dweeb swing away at your unimpressed half-giant.

Full disclosure: I once joined an RPI where my very first question in the OOC helper chat was "how do I keep from codedly dodging when someone's trying to hit my character?" They were like, "uhh, we did not plan for your use case."

This is one of those things that are all good, can't see any detractors, and has been suggested numerous times. Yes please.

>The hardened, scarred corporal slaps the weak, sissy-eyed recruit across the face, from right to left.

>The hardened, scarred corporal exclaims, in sirihish, "Four months, Recruit Stupid! Four. FUCKING. MONTHS!

>The hardened, scarred corporal slaps the weak, sissy-eyed recruit across the face, from left to right.

>The hardened, scarred corporal says, in sirihish, "What does it take to BEAT THE SIMPLEST OF TACTICS INTO YOUR HALF-GIANT SKULL?!"

>The hardened, scarred corporal slaps the weak, sissy-eyed recruit three times in a row.

>The fighting-sdesced half-giant tells the filler recruit, proudly and self-indulgently, in sirihish, "He mentions me in -all- of his word-fights."
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 13, 2014, 03:30:45 PM
>combat fight (100%)

>learn on
>learn slow
>learn off

I dig this the most.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 13, 2014, 03:30:45 PM
>combat fight (100%)

>learn on
>learn slow
>learn off

I think if the "combat <modifier>" code went in, anything less than "combat fight" would result in no-gain flags attached to all combat skills. Realistic? No. But still necessary.

I've wanted it for years, just so that you can HAVE that 9RL month warrior still losing at fights, because he's been holding back. Until one day, all those training sessions at home with his big brother kick in, and suddenly its like he's on warspice!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Agreed. Anything less would just be too tempting or easy to abuse, and there is always the change of getting accused of it for using it too often even when you just want to play a weak or lazy fighter.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.