Dwarves and Stamina Regen

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, July 03, 2014, 12:58:28 AM

Before you lay into me, yes, I know ... they already have it good. And I wouldn't argue that. Here's what I want to suggest, though.

Muls, and dwarves, should be able to regen stamina while standing up. This would reflect their labor-oriented past. They would regain stamina at the same rate they do now, while resting, but regain it at the same rate while standing as they would while sitting. This would be a great coded boon in roleplaying the tireless dwarf.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Let's give people more reasons to play dwarves with the focus "become the best fighter ever with no personality", yeah.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I'd play more dwarf ranger raiders.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

It could be a neat idea if they regen slowly while standing up, but don't gain much more benefit from sitting or resting. They're always on the go, so sitting down isn't very 'restful' for them.

Still though, overall I'd say nah. Stumps are good already.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

dwarves should be unable to sit at all, due to their stocky frames. they can only ever stand up or collapse over like a log.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

.. No. Unnecessary.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I would say that everyone should gain stamina standing around, just more slowly compared to sitting, provided they haven't moved or been in combat in a while. It's possible to catch your breath or whatever without sitting down. I don't think dwarves should be special in this way.

I think dwarves should expend more stamina to move the same distance as other races because they are small and take little steps.

Also, I think it's good that everyone has to rest or sit to regen stamina. If you can stand and regen, you can hide and regen. Hide is already a crazy powerful skill whithout giving it extra advantages.

And really - standing regen? How about a standing stamina drain. Standing takes effort. Standing in the sun takes even more effort. It should cost you stamina to stand.

Quote from: BleakOne on July 03, 2014, 03:11:07 AM
It could be a neat idea if they regen slowly while standing up, but don't gain much more benefit from sitting or resting. They're always on the go, so sitting down isn't very 'restful' for them.

Still though, overall I'd say nah. Stumps are good already.
That's clever.

And of course. Heh. This isn't much a serious idea - it's more along the lines of a random though, after reading something reminding me about how dwarves are supposed to seem tireless.

Quote from: roughneck on July 03, 2014, 07:27:36 AM
I think dwarves should expend more stamina to move the same distance as other races because they are small and take little steps.

Also, I think it's good that everyone has to rest or sit to regen stamina. If you can stand and regen, you can hide and regen. Hide is already a crazy powerful skill whithout giving it extra advantages.

And really - standing regen? How about a standing stamina drain. Standing takes effort. Standing in the sun takes even more effort. It should cost you stamina to stand.

This sounds challenging. As long as your butt is not resting on something, you're drained. I would like to have a LEAN <object/person> command. It'll be so awesome.

> lean table (sensually)

The doey-eyed, big topped female is here, leaning against the table, sensually.

July 03, 2014, 09:53:26 AM #13 Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:07:01 AM by Kryos
Rather, I'd like to see that if you are in mode 'walk' (this could vary for some races, FOIG), and have proper nutrition and hydration, that you never go below 1/2 of your mv from doing the walking.  

Reasonable in shape human beings can certainly walk from dawn till dusk, or even longer, and not simply stop due to absolute fatigue and fall over unable to crawl even an inch more.  Very in shape or trained for it human beings can do this for days in a row, and while they will be quite tired and stop a few times a day to inhale food/water, again don't stop and find themselves paralyzed with exhuastion(except perhaps to puke and rally).  The longer you go without rest, obvious, the more compounded your fatigue gets.  Encumbrance also factors into this a great deal, but even geared up people can and do the day long marches.

This part of armageddon's code has always irked me, especially since it adds a great deal of 'boring time' to adventures and trips in the wastes.  If you're fed and watered, you can keep going, simple as that.

As for stumps:  give them a higher threshold cap.  Other activities that expend move points, which I won't elaborate on what they are, should pull from that 'walking cap' and be capable of exhausting you, not refreshing until you've attained proper rest.

I already feel dwarves should be a karma required race, low karma, but karma required.

I don't mind this addition, but it would only make me want to see them as karma required even more.

Dwarf warrior is only warrior.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Cutthroat on July 03, 2014, 07:05:49 AM
I would say that everyone should gain stamina standing around, just more slowly compared to sitting, provided they haven't moved or been in combat in a while. It's possible to catch your breath or whatever without sitting down. I don't think dwarves should be special in this way.

Completely agree.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

July 03, 2014, 02:51:33 PM #16 Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:53:43 PM by Harmless
Quote from: LauraMars on July 03, 2014, 02:40:55 PM
Quote from: Cutthroat on July 03, 2014, 07:05:49 AM

Completely agree.

+1

but not while hiding.

hiding isn't always staying in one place. Comfortably. If you're in a crowd, you're avoiding detection by pretending you're doing something there. Perfectly still cloaked silhouettes tend to be unsettling. Humdrum every day movements and actions are undetectable. (but not restful.)

In fact... there's a log that describes an assassin hiding in an uncomfortable position, her muscles aching etc. that was a really well done log... hm, which one was it.

I don't think you need to consider "resting" as "sitting down". It just means you are much more relaxed/not standing at attention ready to respond immediately.

(The coded message says you sit down and rest your tired bones. But to be fair, we have coded messages that are just "stock Diku responses" that say you are hitting yourself in the face and a lot of retarded crap. It is a roleplay game. Roleplay rules.)

Many times I have done this and it works just fine.....

rest (leaning back against the wall quietly)

change ldesc leans against a wall here quietly

rest (taking a knee)

change ldesc is here resting on a knee in the sand.

Then when you stand....

stand (pushing off of the wall, taking his hands out of his pockets)

stand (easing up, brushing some dust from the knee of his leggings with a hand)

Our current system already has exactly what you want.

hm.

help rest:

This command will cause your character to recline on the ground (or the
floor, if you are indoors) and relax for a while.

I've used rest and change ldesc'd to various sit-recline combos, but never thought to use it like you have.

..but yeah that's probably fine.

I've been playing for a while. I know how to use rest. The idea was about dwarves seeming tireless, not giving them a really unfair advantage.

July 03, 2014, 04:31:17 PM #20 Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:34:32 PM by Desertman
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on July 03, 2014, 04:26:58 PM
I've been playing for a while. I know how to use rest. The idea was about dwarves seeming tireless, not giving them a really unfair advantage.

Wasn't really replying to your OP there, just the folks who wanted to regen stamina while just standing around in one place. (I was just noting you already can without roleplaying you are physically sitting in the sand. I didn't intend for my post to even be dwarf specific.)

I'm fine with the idea of dwarves getting a sort of constant "stamina regen" going on regardless of their actions, I just think dwarves are already OP for being a non-karma race, and this sort of change would only make me want to see the karma required even more.

If it did go in I am assuming muls would get some sort of benefit from the change as well, but they are already so high up the karma chain normal players can't breathe there.

Dwarves and muls can already three-hit humans. Muls might be able to do it better, but when you are being killed in three hits, I don't see the difference in ending up at -13hp and ending up at -58hp on the third hit.

The only dwarf I ever played was a vivaduan. Go big or go home.

Incidentally, he also has more positive account notes than amy of my other characters. I must be onto something here.

July 03, 2014, 04:44:50 PM #22 Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:46:48 PM by Desertman
Quote from: Patuk on July 03, 2014, 04:37:35 PM

Incidentally, he also has more positive account notes than amy of my other characters. I must be onto something here.

I'm not anti-dwarf or anything. I used to be. But I've seen some great dwarves over the last few years that makes me really enjoy having a well played dwarf around.

I'm just saying, them suckers are tough and hit extremely hard to be a non- karma race, not to mention the high level of roleplay required to correctly roleplay their focus.

Edited to Add: Not to derail further, but I feel the only reason dwarves aren't karma required is because they complete the tri-force of the typical "fantasy races". Human, elf, and dwarf, and people like to play them as such. Making them karma required might lose us potential new players.

Quote from: Desertman on July 03, 2014, 04:44:50 PM
Quote from: Patuk on July 03, 2014, 04:37:35 PM

I'm not anti-dwarf or anything. I used to be. But I've seen some great dwarves over the last few years that makes me really enjoy having a well played dwarf around.

I'm just saying, them suckers are tough and hit extremely hard to be a non- karma race, not to mention the high level of roleplay required to correctly roleplay their focus.

Edited to Add: Not to derail further, but I feel the only reason dwarves aren't karma required is because they complete the tri-force of the typical "fantasy races". Human, elf, and dwarf, and people like to play them as such. Making them karma required might lose us potential new players.

Oh, I don't disagree at all. The sheer amount of dwarves in the game is enough for anyone to reveal that yes, dat sweet stat boost is alluring.

idea: make a subset of dwarves, perhaps wild dwarves, that are 1-karma.

take non-karma dwarves and remove all their clan choices. lower their strength and endurance to signify that they are living the easy life in cities to be but a pittance higher than humans. desertwild dwarves get normal dwarf strength and endurance. wild dwarves get to regen stamina standing up to signify living hard and their dwarfy physique. make citytame dwarves have their focuses be converted to virtual focuses that can never feasibly be achieved. make a rule stating that they cannot pursue attainable focuses in-game. only wild dwarves are allowed to have focuses. also, wild dwarves have to stay in the red desert, except for the ones that have a focus to trade