Why do you play?

Started by Eyeball, June 28, 2014, 10:30:26 PM

What keeps you in the game?

June 28, 2014, 10:33:53 PM #1 Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:43:44 PM by QuillDipper
All of the interaction my PC gets with the other characters they play with.
Part-Time Internets Lady

Situations.

Sometimes really cool situations happen in the game that are entirely based around people playing their characters. They're too wildly variant for a hard-line description as it can be anything from a conversation at a bar, to an RPT where all my PC's friends are dying around him. It can happen without other players sometimes, when I'm really feeling into my character and just interacting with the world, but most of the time it's other players, and the situations that arise around interaction.

The situations make you feel like you're a part of a good story. You get to be both the writer and an reader.

It replaced my hobby of theater once I stopped being able to do that.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

It's a new game every time you log in.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

For the challenge. For the setting. For the social player interactions and coordinated group play.

How anything goes can happen in the game.

For everything, code, combat, crafting, magick. But mostly for the story I get to weave in a world I find appealing.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

For everything that was said above minus the hobby of theater.  For me, it's the hobby for reading fiction. My fiction novel is the never-ending Book of the Known World of Arm MUD.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

What 7DeadlyVenomz said about the story creation and continuation and sometimes sudden, abrupt death that adds more weight to riskier plots or parts of plots. This is the best game in the world for the best stories you can come up with and I'm lucky enough for it to have all the things I like in a good story, post-apocalyptic level resources, barren wastelands, mysterious unknown lands, strict social and cultural environment, and no one ruining the atmosphere with "Let's go tok-killing so I can level this character up before Saturday." Yet people who love combat have an enormous welcoming niche all set up and ready for them, and most large staff-run plots have seats provided for them. Also, all criminal guilds are 0 karma. Welcome to keep your packs closed city, keeping it real like the docs say. I'm getting hyper about this.
Quote from: Zoan on January 07, 2014, 02:29:56 PM
DEFENESTRATION DOESN'T SOLVE ALL OF YOUR PROBLEMS, FRANCE.

Quote from: Is Friday on June 28, 2014, 10:49:58 PM
It replaced my hobby of theater once I stopped being able to do that.
Also: Exploration/achievement.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

i quote the odd school....

"to chop motherfuckers up with bone swords."
Czar of City Elves.

The world is fiendishly well written and interesting.

I've met lots of awesome players and characters.

There is so much to explore, in terms of content and character interaction.

As well in a world where most games seek to give the player instant gratification, Armageddon really makes you work for it, and it makes every tiny success, every tiny discovery mean so much more.
"Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you."
"Sir?"
"It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority."
"Sir?"
"That's practically zen."
― Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

There are a shit ton of reasons why I play this game. But on a daily basis, the reason I log in is to search for that plotline that will get my adrenaline, interest, or emotions brought up, and hopefully others' as well. Even if I barely interacted with the playerbase, as long as people knew the characters I played existed, I feel like I am adding to a group effort that tells the whole story of how this world functions.

I love to see the playerbase grow, and I love to see people rolling up PCs that are clearly new to them. Seeing other people experience the depth and want to learn more. Seeing how much energy some people still have for this game also keep me going.

I like that this game pits players against each other in more than just a "good vs bad" kind of way. Everybody's a good guy and a bad guy at the same time. I've been in a lot of MUSHes and some other RPIs where that never felt well done. You never feel like you're playing a "bit character" here, you're playing a real person.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I'm an explorer/knowledge archetype who happens to enjoy telling a good story.

I play for those magical moments when great characters collide.

If I did not play Armageddon, who would tell my characters' stories?
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on June 29, 2014, 01:32:16 PM
If I did not play Armageddon, who would tell my characters' stories?
Some shitty web blog.

The anguish.
The frustration.
The hatred.
The love.
The incapacitating fear.
The unknown.

The story.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: WarriorPoet on February 27, 2009, 09:50:06 AM
....I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords. Not to have virtual sex with some other smelly dude who is pretending to be the petite, delicately-snatched lass.

Welcome back WP
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

;D
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

To mask my impotence (of a man; abnormally unable to achieve a sexual erection) behind the squeals and screams of a virtual partner whom I've rocked for the second time in a month.

God, I'm a stallion.

To sum up: THE SEXUAL THRILL!
Whatever happens, happens.

Where else can you chip off a piece of rock into 8 shards and use the shards to buy a shot of whiskey?

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.