Storage. Unstorage.

Started by RogueGunslinger, June 27, 2014, 08:20:51 PM

Why is it that staff only very rarely go about unstorring a character? Having had a character un-stored before (only because a staff gave me an account note saying unstorage should be possible) I don't understand what the big deal is.

Is it a workload thing, or is there a decent argument against jumping in and out of a character?

Hey bro.

You ain't new.  ;)
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Ugh, this isn't staff questions forum, is it?

It's a legitimate question though, I think.

I'm curious why staff will no longer unstore characters that were stored for sponsored roles despite this being possible in the past.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

June 27, 2014, 11:31:36 PM #4 Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 11:35:18 PM by TheWanderer
'new' is a subjective term. when is one truly not new? aren't we all new in the grand scope of things? new explorers and adventurers to fade from newdom when centuries have passed?

Oh, s'cause it could inspire bad behavior in the newbies (and those goddamn veterans -- go away, old people), Rogue. "Stuff's pretty borin', so... I'll jus' store and come back when things get back to poppin'."

Also kinda meta.

I'd also kinda lose my mind when stored characters just started showing up outta nowhere eight years later. "Hey, Sergeant Jackass is back. What's that? He wants an emergency meeting to discuss the death of Lord Who-Gives-A-Shit? I see. Do you think his return has something to do with it?"

It's as bad as someone -not- storing and coming back around eight years later to discuss his powa status in the clan. Dude, you were gone, we moved on. WE DON'T ACCEPT YOU AS SERGEANT!  

Edit: If I wasn't buzzin' off these Mike's Hard Lemonades, I'd think of more.

Edit 2: I meant to say Jack Daniels and Vodka.
Whatever happens, happens.

There are characters I'd love to unstore. I'd love a policy update, at least for those stored because of sponsored roles or special apps. So long as they weren't in leadership positions. You shouldn't be able to un-store a leader/sponsored you stored.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I guess it just takes more reviewing and thinking work for staff. I guess if you're apping a sponsored role, be ready to kiss your current PC goodbye.

A more lax policy on this might encourage more role call apps, though. It'd reduce that negative incentive of losing your current PC. There should be detailed requirements for what PCs you intend to unstore, that the player is responsible for checking off themselves in the app.

The main things I think that would make unstoring feasible would be:

• PC does not belong to a clan with a rank of (step up from private, i.e. 2 or more promotions)
  • PC is not currently involved in major plots, especially murder plots, being an outlaw, or being targeted
  • PC is not in a sponsored family or tribal role.

If your PC satisfied those three requirements, and the reason for storage is for a sponsored role, (not special app or extended subguild app), then I believe the option to unstore should be allowed, if the player asks for that possibility in advance, with no guarantee of it actually happening. Just my 2 sids
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I was told unstorage is no longer possible for PC's stored in response to a sponsored role call, and my particular case was a character that had, as far as I remember, not even interacted with another PC. And the vibe I got when I was told this was that I shouldn't make PCs only to store them a week or two later, which was kind of silly since one can't anticipate when role calls will be announced, or if one will even be accepted for the role call.

I'm not too hung up on it, but I think that if the policy is going to be that way, it should have been stated so that players know in advance when taking sponsored roles they will never get their old character back when that wasn't always the case.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on June 28, 2014, 06:41:51 AM
I'm not too hung up on it, but I think that if the policy is going to be that way, it should have been stated so that players know in advance when taking sponsored roles they will never get their old character back when that wasn't always the case.

I'm pretty sure players were always expected to pre-arrange the option to unstore (if they wanted that option) before storing to take a sponsored role. I have never requested that, but that was my understanding.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: flurry on June 28, 2014, 12:23:55 PM

I'm pretty sure players were always expected to pre-arrange the option to unstore (if they wanted that option) before storing to take a sponsored role. I have never requested that, but that was my understanding.

I was under the impression he'd asked about it when storing the character.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I stored a character and didn't even know the option to unstore was available until I read my account notes later and noticed someone left a note suggesting it would be okay to do so.

Quote from: valeria on June 28, 2014, 07:27:22 PM

Maybe I misunderstood the concern about players knowing in advance about the policy. My point was that you always know in advance because the request to be allowed to unstore would always need to be in advance.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Perhaps storage should be called retirement.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: valeria on June 28, 2014, 07:27:22 PM

I didn't ask in this particular case, but I'd unstored a character stored for a sponsored role in the past without any sort of arrangement being made.

Like I said, I'm not particularly bothered by it, I just feel that clarity on things like this is always a good idea.

Our policy is that characters will not be unstored unless prior arrangement has been made. Yes, you do have to specifically request this, and no, it will not always be granted.  If you absolutely can't stand the idea of not getting your old character back, it's probably best not to apply for a sponsored role.

I think one of the problems with unstoring characters is that with as fast as time moves on this game, you might be surprised to discover your stored character has become a senior citizen.

So?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job