Mercy And Bludgeoning

Started by RogueGunslinger, June 16, 2014, 03:13:21 PM

June 16, 2014, 03:13:21 PM Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:15:15 PM by RogueGunslinger
Currently, mercy only works when someone's HP reaches below a certain point. I propose it works for stun too. Mercy should kick in as soon as someone crumples to the ground. It's way too easy to knock someone out with a bludgeoning weapon, and then kill them with a crit to the head right afterwards while they're sleeping on the floor. It happens so fast I can't even disengage after watching them drop.

It's irritating because usually people use bludgeoning weapons when they don't want to kill the person they're attacking outright. But the increased chance of knocking them out, drops them to the ground to for a free heavy blow to their head, increasing the chances you kill them dramatically.

I agree with you and it's more realistic.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on June 16, 2014, 03:25:03 PM
I agree with you and it's more realistic.

+1
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 16, 2014, 03:13:21 PM
Currently, mercy only works when someone's HP reaches below a certain point. I propose it works for stun too. Mercy should kick in as soon as someone crumples to the ground. It's way too easy to knock someone out with a bludgeoning weapon, and then kill them with a crit to the head right afterwards while they're sleeping on the floor. It happens so fast I can't even disengage after watching them drop.

It's irritating because usually people use bludgeoning weapons when they don't want to kill the person they're attacking outright. But the increased chance of knocking them out, drops them to the ground to for a free heavy blow to their head, increasing the chances you kill them dramatically.

Just to nitpick a little on what you say, because I agree on a fantasy-reality with what you say, but trauma to the head (especially with Armageddon-like weapons) would definitely and most of the time lead to either outright death or very-permanent like trauma to anyone surviving blows to the head with a bludgeoning weapon of Armageddon-like caliber and lack of medical attention. So in reality, people being bludgeoned to the point of passing out would, in fact, be more prone to death than they already are right now with the current code.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Wear a really good helmet.

(seriously though, I agree with this change, for the most part)
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I have repeatedly and recently seen mercy operate when people still had hp left, but  no stun. It should give you a message on your very first attack while they're unconscious that "you show mercy and withhold the killing blow," so there appears a delay but it isn't a relevant one.

I have not tested this with dual wield though, it might be that since these attacks are simultaneous, you'll land your offhandstrike while they're unconscious.

Quote from: Malken on June 16, 2014, 04:30:05 PM

Just to nitpick a little on what you say, because I agree on a fantasy-reality with what you say, but trauma to the head (especially with Armageddon-like weapons) would definitely and most of the time lead to either outright death or very-permanent like trauma to anyone surviving blows to the head with a bludgeoning weapon of Armageddon-like caliber and lack of medical attention. So in reality, people being bludgeoned to the point of passing out would, in fact, be more prone to death than they already are right now with the current code.

More prone to death from concussion/brain damage. Not from my pc's retarded inability to stop himself from "cuhn cuhn cuhn" smashing heads. :P

I get your point and all it just has nothing to do with this thread.

Quote from: Narf on June 16, 2014, 05:20:21 PM

I have repeatedly and recently seen mercy operate when people still had hp left, but  no stun. It should give you a message on your very first attack while they're unconscious that "you show mercy and withhold the killing blow," so there appears a delay but it isn't a relevant one.

I have not tested this with dual wield though, it might be that since these attacks are simultaneous, you'll land your offhandstrike while they're unconscious.

Eh... what was their sdesc? Was it "stunned an unable to move"? My experience with this is with both one and two handing weapons, haven't tried while dual wielding.

June 16, 2014, 05:31:09 PM #7 Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:33:17 PM by RogueGunslinger
I suppose it's possible I had mercy toggled off on accident... Will do some testing.

Edit:
Ugh, you're right. Code already functions this way. Disregard this thread.

Poo, I did forget myself!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points