Where Players Found Us: May

Started by Nyr, June 11, 2014, 11:06:23 AM

Sorry for the delay, but I was definitely not going to run these numbers on vacation.  :)

Raw data for May

Total new accounts created:  225
Duplicates (created multiple accounts out of confusion/staff accounts/etc):  1
New accounts minus the above: 224

Where people came from

(noteworthy results mentioned, some might be concurrent)

Topmudsites:  19
Themudconnector: 64
Google: 41 (note that these can probably be attributed to either TMS or TMC or may be otherwise concurrent with the above)
Search/web: 32 (these also can probably be attributed to either TMS or TMC)
Friends/other players/family/co-workers/homies:  19
Reddit:  5
Random forums:  7

A smattering of some miscellaneous answers:
sold weed to a real nice guy who told me about MUDs
balls
ESO player chat

Login data

Actual logins (created a character that was approved and they logged in):  51
1 hour or less in playtime: 19
1-2 hours of playtime:  8
2-6 hours of playtime:  8
6-20 hours of playtime:  6 (1 logged in as recently as yesterday)
20+ hours of playtime:  10 (7 logged in as recently as last Wednesday)

We've created a survey that goes out to the top retained players + the top unretained players.  This will go out possibly in the next few days, depending on time available to do so.

If you're one of those people above?  Feel free to chime in here!  Getting your perspective on things will hopefully help out future players.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quotesold weed to a real nice guy who told me about MUDs
balls

Lol.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote20+ hours of playtime:  10 (7 logged in as recently as last Wednesday)

This seems much higher than previous months. Excellent!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Nyr on June 11, 2014, 11:06:23 AM
If you're one of those people above?  Feel free to chime in here!  Getting your perspective on things will hopefully help out future players.

I don't think I'm one of those, but I probably am from April, and I've put 20+ hours on in May, I'm pretty sure.

I found the game through the Mud sites - not sure which one specifically, but I was attracted by the idea of perma-death and role-play enforced.  It would be something new for me.  At first, I was overwhelmed, afraid to offend people IC due to my OOC ignorance, so I didn't interact much early on.  Still don't as much as I probably should.  I had no idea what to do starting off, so I got on helper chat and they really were helpful.

My first character struggled. I know I can't share IC info, so I'll be as general as I can.  I found work for someone, but my hours are off-peak and so I found myself with goods for my employer, no more space in my inventory, and no where to store them.  I'd had an apartment, but didn't have the money to renew it.  I spent several RL days logging on, trying to contact my employer, realizing he wasn't on, and logging back off because my character had nothing to do.  I tried finding NPC merchants to buy the stuff, but just couldn't.

My second character (who I still play) is doing much better, and I am hooked now.  The new character has stuff to do and people to help him, thankfully.

I've been through that experience myself early on. It can be pretty challenging. Especially if whoever you've joined up with makes it hard for you to be able to join others. Glad you were able to get a better set up next time around. Don't be afraid to store or do crazy shit ICly to mix things up and make things more exciting. Kind of the point of the game. To make it a fun game, and not just a realistic one.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2