You and Skimmers

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, June 10, 2014, 05:05:30 PM

So, this is about the title of a skimmer crew member.

I think we can all agree that the leader of a skimmer is called a Captain.

Would the crew members be called sailors?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Yes.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Ehhh... I don't know.... Do the skimmers even have sails on them?

Yes.

Maybe.
Whatever happens, happens.

I never had a problem with skimmer crewmembers calling themselves  "skimmers," unless they have a sdesc that's going to cause me to mistake them for an actual silt-skimmer or something.

Yes, skimmers have sails.

I knew it.

I say we give them something slightly Zalanthified.

Whira-jammers
Sea-Silters
Silt-mates
Silt-toks

If we want an original term, I am hereby coining the term skimmates.

Whira-stalkers

Silt-sailor

Void-walkers.

Quote from: Patuk on June 10, 2014, 05:30:22 PM
If we want an original term, I am hereby coining the term skimmates.

Eh. What's an individual? A Skimmate? Don't like the sound of it. Skimmerers? hehehe.

Silter?

"Now I been a silter nigh half of my life. I reckon you could say I'll die in the Sea."
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Then are there pirates in the Known?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Yes, there are.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 10, 2014, 05:38:57 PM
Silter?

"Now I been a silter nigh half of my life. I reckon you could say I'll die in the Sea."

I've heard silter before. Valid.

Three little points:

1. I sort of like how Arm has a lot of pockets of linguistic flavor, where terms and idioms developed organically among the playerbase, and might even die out with them.  I think the Sea of Eternal Dust and all that happens down there with 'em skimmers, and the lifestyle, is one of these areas where we could have a rich, improvised, language.

2. That said, it is a bit tiresome not to use an already rich English vocabulary of nautical terms (batten down the hatches! Port!  Poopdeck! Captain, mate, etc.) just because it is silt and not water and a skimmer and not a sailboat.   My characters treat the silt sea as a sea and the skimmers on them as boats captained by captains and crews that get lost at sea, etc. etc.  After all, it isn't as if there is an actual sea (with water) to confuse us.

3. And yes, there damn better be pirates.  I wish the sea weren't so dangerous so more players would play down there.  Perhaps pockets of it can be made safe(ish)?  Part of (1) requires at atleast a few long-lived PCs to pass on the lore word-of-mouth and in game, which is what happens, in my experience, in other areas of the game, e.g., the Rinth, GMHs, the Byn, etc.  (If this is ALREADY the case, then ignore this point!)

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Skimmerettes

Skailors.

Dust-Riders

Siltors

Cannon Fodder
Part-Time Internets Lady

They'll call themselves whatever the Captain calls them, if they know what's good for them.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

There are sails on the skimmers. So sailor is fine. Better than fine. You're sailing the sea of eternal dust.

Why does that need some weird handle?

To make life harder on the newbies.

Because when I think sailors I think water, and white and blue sailor outfits.

Silter is not "some weird handler" I find it rather fitting.

Silt Chow.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 10, 2014, 07:56:21 PM

When I think of dwarves I think of beards, booze, and !!FUN!!. Armageddon dwarves can only have up to two of those things applying to them but I found myself able to adjust to this strange new world with its different connotations for words.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 10, 2014, 08:13:19 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 10, 2014, 07:56:21 PM

When I think of dwarves I think of beards, booze, and !!FUN!!. Armageddon dwarves can only have up to two of those things applying to them but I found myself able to adjust to this strange new world with its different connotations for words.

Except dwarves are a very big portion of the game. An entire race. And it's the details of the dwarves that are different, not a whole word used to describe them. If there was a race of short, hair beer-lovers in game and everyone wanted to call them Porties I'd have an issue with that. "Just call them dwarves." I'd say.

This is rather different.

Sailors are not. You would be lucky to find a single instance of the word sailor in the game not said by a PC. I really dislike the word sailor when referring to skimmer crews. The word itself feels anachronistic.

Crew. Crewmate. Captain and crew.

This doesn't need to be complicated...

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 10, 2014, 08:30:52 PM
Sailors are not. You would be lucky to find a single instance of the word sailor in the game not said by a PC. I really dislike the word sailor when referring to skimmer crews. The word itself feels anachronistic.

How about: seamen?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago