Playing in english for a non-native

Started by lechaz, June 06, 2014, 11:03:33 AM

Hi! I'm really interested in playing Armageddon, but I'm not sure whether my level in english is sufficient... I know role-playing and character description is really important in this MUD − and that's the thing I like in it − but I don't want to bother other players.

Are there non-native english speakers here ? How do you feel with the game ?

I think your level in English, observing from your post, is sufficient. Heck I don't think my English is that polish as most of the playerbase here. I'd have the habit of backspacing when my English sounds too local. As long as you're able to make the point across, I don't think the players here would be too hard on you.  :D

As netizens in my country would coin it: You okay one (which means you're fine/you're alright).

We have several current and former players for whom English is not a native language, and they do just fine. Don't be afraid!
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

There's a few players who have said they started with little knowledge of English and improved on their reading/writing/vocabulary skills by playing the game. The people IG are generally a patient group so don't worry, and jump right in.

Hell no. Come on in, dammit.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If you feel self-conscious about it (you probably shouldn't) you could make a dwarf, or a human with the nomad subguild.  (Elves are less-liked, probably not recommended.)

Any mistakes in speech could just be attributed to it being your character's second language, since most exchanges in the game use sirihish.  You could even make mistakes on purpose for flavor.

Like other posters have said, your written english will probably improve through play.  I played a spanish hack/slash for a few months and picked up the ultra basics.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: lechaz on June 06, 2014, 11:03:33 AM
Hi! I'm really interested in playing Armageddon, but I'm not sure whether my level in english is sufficient... I know role-playing and character description is really important in this MUD − and that's the thing I like in it − but I don't want to bother other players.

Are there non-native english speakers here ? How do you feel with the game ?

Dude, I started playing Armageddon when I only knew maybe 3 English words and now I have English native people begging me to write descs for them.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Akaramu learned English through the game also: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,47383.0.html
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: senseofeven on June 06, 2014, 11:18:54 AM
I think your level in English, observing from your post, is sufficient. Heck I don't think my English is that polish as most of the playerbase here. I'd have the habit of backspacing when my English sounds too local. As long as you're able to make the point across, I don't think the players here would be too hard on you.  :D

As netizens in my country would coin it: You okay one (which means you're fine/you're alright).

Sorry, I chuckled...I may have to tag that to my sig...

Honestly, the player base (mostly) understands, and is rather forgiving of mistakes. It's a learning curve, after all, and a steep one. Doubly so if English isn't a native tongue. However, your post is well formed, and reads better than half the English people I know.....

I should mention I'm English...I know a lot of English people.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Thank you all for encouraging me  :)
See you soon in-game !

Quote from: lechaz on June 07, 2014, 03:16:19 AM
See you soon in-game !

Dibs on the boots!
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Quote from: lechaz on June 07, 2014, 03:16:19 AM
See you soon in-game !

Yay!  By the way, I think your English is fine.  Besides, we have native speakers who use words and grammar they don't understand all the time ("bemused" comes to mind).  It's no big deal.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on June 07, 2014, 12:03:41 PM
Besides, we have native speakers who use words and grammar they don't understand all the time ("bemused" comes to mind).  It's no big deal.

I bemused when I wrote my last character's description.  It's pure art.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Your statement that people don't use the word bemused correctly makes me bemused.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Same here.

I'm from Russia and the main reason I went into chat rooms and then later on MUDs was to improve my English. I'd like to think that now my command of the language is better then some people's who grew up in North America.

Then I dont play for a year and my english goes waaaay down. True Story.

You should play. If you're worried about your use of english, put in your background the reason why you would speak bad sirihish. Either being tribal, foreign, dimwitted, tuluki. All good reasons :D.

Hello fellow comrade. ;)

I forgot to say to the OP that you should play and go for what others have suggested- play a tribal.

Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: whitt on June 07, 2014, 04:49:53 PM
Quote from: valeria on June 07, 2014, 12:03:41 PM
Besides, we have native speakers who use words and grammar they don't understand all the time ("bemused" comes to mind).  It's no big deal.

I bemused when I wrote my last character's description.  It's pure art.

Bemused... *headdesk*
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Ha ha ha.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870