When Real life sucks,

Started by rodic, May 30, 2014, 12:12:05 AM

Whats the standard... procedure when you keep losing connection while characters are trying to talk to your character? At what point do you OOC?

Or should one just keep rolling with it?
"Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you."
"Sir?"
"It seems that you have managed to retain this even though you are authority."
"Sir?"
"That's practically zen."
― Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

As long as I know you are DCing, I roll with it. It's no biggie to me. All I need to know is where they last saw the convo. We all understand DCing. It sucks, but it'll go away at some point, and onwards we'll march.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Since people can see when you log back in, there is no need to OOC about it.  Most people will helpfully repeat things for you when they've seen that you've disconnected.

When I hit really bad jags, I'll take advantage of >quit OOC.  Sometimes I might OOC a brief apology before doing so, but sometimes my connection is so bad that when I get in the game I need to quit RIGHT NOW (or I might not get the chance and then my PC is in the game making me worried).  If you've been talking to someone that sees that you keep disconnecting and then quit, they almost certainly have figured it out.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on May 30, 2014, 07:56:25 AM
Since people can see when you log back in, there is no need to OOC about it.  Most people will helpfully repeat things for you when they've seen that you've disconnected.

When I hit really bad jags, I'll take advantage of >quit OOC.  Sometimes I might OOC a brief apology before doing so, but sometimes my connection is so bad that when I get in the game I need to quit RIGHT NOW (or I might not get the chance and then my PC is in the game making me worried).  If you've been talking to someone that sees that you keep disconnecting and then quit, they almost certainly have figured it out.

I didn't know there was an echo...  lol ok I didn't know if it was obvious or not, I was also having severe latency issues so I was already trying to play catch up as my mud client would suddenly scroll a bunch of stuff I missed.  Then freeze on a command, then like five minutes later It connect again.  It was frustrating so I just spammed the direction of the quit room, and rage quit.

Sorry to who ever was there, I know you where trying to involve me and I greatly appreciate it, but of course that be the time my internet decides to take a dump.

"Commander, I always used to consider that you had a definite anti-authoritarian streak in you."
"Sir?"
"Sir?"

Just so that I'm being clear, it doesn't always echo when you disconnect, but it does echo when you reconnect.  They probably realized what happened when you reconnected and ragequit.

Quote from: valeria on May 30, 2014, 05:17:58 PM
Just so that I'm being clear, it doesn't always echo when you disconnect, but it does echo when you reconnect.  They probably realized what happened when you reconnected and ragequit.

Ahh ok.  Still it was frustrating time for me, felt so newbish cause I was literally unable to keep up due to the latency.  I got disconnect/ reconnected maybe three times, and then just gave up.  At first I thought it was the server last night, but found that it was probably me, other players seem to be unaffected.  I wanted to OOC so bad because I felt rude and weird but then I thought, it be even worse to break character... I was unsure.

Oh well, thanks for the help.  Hopefully I won't have some much trouble in the future.
"Sir?"
"Sir?"

Fingers crossed for you!