Corrals

Started by long live miley cyrus, May 25, 2014, 04:18:20 PM

There's some good options for places to simply spend your time apart from taverns but I thought of something today. Wouldn't it be nice to be allowed to rent out a mount without having to pay for the whole thing first, just a fee, and the animals bumps you off after a certain time and simply walks away?

Then I realized how ridiculous that was although it needs to be done at least once, like bacon, but then I came up with the idea of a closed corral, somewhere where stall workers and owners can make a better profit off of those mounts you rent in to them while you aren't using them.

The corral is a few closed rooms so you can actually train your ride skill instead of pretending to, you pay for a couple of hours on a mount of your choice, or a lower fee to get a random mount maybe, usually a rougher choice. The hours are up, you automatically get taken off the mount and booted out until you pay for some more time. No one's allowed in who won't rent one out so that any loopholes that can be exploited that way aren't discovered, IC explanation is to make things simple; you're inside, you don't have a mount, they find out, they kick you out.

As for how other people might feel about this idea, I've never seen one of those sinks that butchers whatever solid matter you try to shove down the drain. I don't know how hard this would be to code. I think it'd be a nice addition to both cities, I think regardless of how populated the playerbase gets and what changes are made to accommodate that we can always use more coded venues.

What price ranges do you think it should cost? If in Tuluk, do you think it should be limited to citizens only? Higher rates for noncitizens? Maybe that House Whatever that took Uaptal's beasts of burden trade (for some reason I'm thinking it was slaves and not mount types) should own it, giving their employees free access. Ditto down south with whatever house has the upper hand on mount breeding; would make sense for their employees to know how to ride well. How long should they let you stay? Higher rates for nonhumans?

How about you pay a fee and they rent a beetle to you, and if you don't bring it back within a certain time you become wanted in that city.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 25, 2014, 04:41:41 PM
How about you pay a fee and they rent a beetle to you, and if you don't bring it back within a certain time you become wanted in that city.

Permanently wanted.

Like a zip car?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

That'd be like the crappiest business model ever. I think they would realistically go bankrupt pretty fast.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on May 25, 2014, 05:33:59 PM
That'd be like the crappiest business model ever. I think they would realistically go bankrupt pretty fast.

Especially in Zalanthas.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

1. rent mounts
2. butcher shop
3. ?????????
4. profit!
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Yeah the 'wanted for theft' thing sort of negates that though?  Unless it's worth it to you to make the butcher-house fee, and never enter Allanak again thing?

Renting mounts in an illiterate society? Nah. But I think people who teach riding to city-folk would probably exist. It's not a corral; it's a ranger with a couple of extra tickets and enough rep that you're not gonna mess with him.

And he's under no obligation to teach anyone who come along. So he's probably not going to teach the twitchy, crazed stump. But the recruits of Lord Fancypants? Sure.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Pay full sum for a special colored beetle. Go do whatever you like with it. Go back to the place. If the beetle is still special colored, they will buy it from you for the same price, minus 20 coins.  There, you rented your beetle out for 20 coins.  If you lose the beetle, or die. Well ... I guess they made a full sale.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."