New 'playtimes' command?

Started by boog, May 13, 2014, 08:36:10 PM

After realizing that my Armageddon time will be super limited (even moreso than it is now!) in the near future, and realizing that sometimes, in the past, I've been able to catch someone at times they're not around who I thought was amazing and got a story line going with our PCs but then could never find them again, that a 'set playtimes' and 'playtimes <character name or short description>' might be a neat addition.

I know I've never been a fan of people OOCing or sending an OOC message over the Way to tell me to contact them via the GDB or otherwise, so I thought perhaps this would be a less game breaking way to see when the character you met once, and then never met again because your play times never synced, is usually online!

I know that in clan forums oftentimes people post when they will be (or not be) around, but that does nothing for the people who want to play with you that aren't in your clan.

Also, I feel that an option to not set a playtime at all for those of us truly enigmatic (or anti-social roles) would be fine - just like we don't have to set keywords for our characters if we don't want to!

Anyway, I thought I would pitch the idea, even though I'm sure it has been suggested in the past; it is just really cumbersome to search for on the forums on my phone and if I didn't write this post now, I'd forget to later!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I'd be up for it. Clan boards already encourage the posting of these, so why not facilitate interaction between clans and for indies, too?

I agree it'd make things run so much more smoother with some kind of command.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I dig this.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

This is awfully clever.

+1
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I, too, like this.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I would be okay with this.  But the first time someone OOCs me about not having my playtimes listed, they are getting playercomplaintslapped so fast.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Nope. I'm happy with people not knowing my playtimes. Keeps them from pegging me as soon as I log on.

I think the idea is that it would be a voluntary command, not something you'd have to put in there, but something you could if you wanted to.

Quote from: boog on May 13, 2014, 08:36:10 PM
Also, I feel that an option to not set a playtime at all for those of us truly enigmatic (or anti-social roles) would be fine - just like we don't have to set keywords for our characters if we don't want to.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I like this idea.
Whatever happens, happens.

This is a really cool idea. You can get to know whenever someone is online so you could plan better times for RPTs and such.

This is a neat idea. Along these lines I would also love to see a command to set 'consent' in some form but last time I proposed that it was shot down.  The more ways we can remove the need to use OOC the better, imho.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

* ShaLeah heartily endorses this idea.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on July 20, 2014, 12:48:23 AM
This is a neat idea. Along these lines I would also love to see a command to set 'consent' in some form but last time I proposed that it was shot down.  The more ways we can remove the need to use OOC the better, imho.

I can't see how this would work. I mean, if my PC is cozy with moontug, I'd probably want to fade (jk Chris), whereas if I'm spending time with ShaLeah, I'd be down for more detail, unless I'm busy preparing dinner and we're about to sit down. Then everyone would get the fade. Same with the first time a PC of mine hooks up. I may want detail that time with that player and then seriously never again. Not because I hate them but because of the ridiculously epic time sink. Or the sex between two particular PCs could be fascinating and nuanced, in which case playing that out could effect that PCs development, but I might want to fade everything with her secret breed lover because - obvious.

I'm more open minded about torture/death scene consent, but I've never seen someone abstain from having those scenes played out.

Enough of that derail. I'm too sporadic to use a playtime feature and I don't mind when someone OOCs me a meet time. I appreciate it. I appreciate you guys! Don't be ashamed. OOC is a fixture from the dawn of time. Use her wisely.

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on July 20, 2014, 12:48:23 AM

Quote from: ShaLeah on July 20, 2014, 09:03:39 AM
* ShaLeah heartily endorses this idea.

Too.

Quote from: path on July 20, 2014, 10:52:37 AM

I can't see how this would work. I mean, if my PC is cozy with moontug, I'd probably want to fade (jk Chris), whereas if I'm spending time with ShaLeah, I'd be down for more detail, unless I'm busy preparing dinner and we're about to sit down. Then everyone would get the fade.

Only a fool would fade with ME.

Seriously though, consent isn't something that changes but the ability/time to spend involved in a long ass scene does. A playtime and consent flag on an assess would be awesome.  Anything that helps keep a scene flowing is good for me.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on July 20, 2014, 11:48:41 AM
Seriously though, consent isn't something that changes

Does too! Does too change!

Quote from: path on July 20, 2014, 12:36:22 PM

I'm with path on this one.  Consent depends on a whole ton of factors, so a blanket flag wouldn't be appropriate.  But as long as there was an 'ask' option that would be fine.

Didn't someone suggest putting a consent tag on OTHER players rather than yourself before?

Like how people can see if you, in particular, are watching them? They can assess you and see that they have consent for certain categories of things, but it wouldn't apply to the next person walking down the street. And it can be checked with another assess before a scene unfolds in the future. That way you can just.. manage individuals instead of having blanket consent on or off.
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

Okay, don't mean to continue the derailment of this topic (which was originally for 'playtimes' command). On hellmoo (yes I know that's a primarily H&S MUD) you can set up by name who you consent to do what with. You can change this in a few seconds. When someone that isn't only your consent list tries to make a sexual gesture your character smacks them or looks annoyed at them or whatever. Opening commands to see if someone allows you to be sexual with them are intimate and that could be the start with a follow up for real rp and emotes after the attention is allowed. Not sure if this is possible in Arma or not, but it's a good way to find out if you have consent without breaking immersion.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: valeria on July 20, 2014, 12:47:18 PM
Quote from: path on July 20, 2014, 12:36:22 PM

I'm with path on this one.  Consent depends on a whole ton of factors, so a blanket flag wouldn't be appropriate.  But as long as there was an 'ask' option that would be fine.

Three categories. Open Consent, No Consent, Please Request Consent.

I dunno about the consent changing but circumstances around it definitely do so I'll retract my blanket statement to allow the breeds their breediness.