leaving the known world

Started by roobee, May 13, 2014, 01:16:13 AM

QuoteQuit
(Gameplay)
This command will remove your character from the game world. For most, it can only be used in rooms that are 'safe.' Inns, taverns, apartments, houses, and so on, are considered safe places to stay, and you can quit freely in these places, keeping all of your items.

If you are not in a quit safe room, you may use 'quit ooc <reason>' to get a special release to quit so long as you are not dying or subdued. When you log back in, you will be unable to use 'quit ooc' again until you log out normally. You must provide a reasonable reason as to why you are doing this, which is logged. Any who are found to be abusing this will lose the ability to do so.

The only other way to leave the world is to drop your link--whereupon your character will remain exactly where he/she is until you reconnect. There is no guarantee that your character will remain alive or unmolested during that time. Quitting in a safe room will automatically save your character, save his or her equipment, and take you to the main menu.

Rangers can quit in the wilds--to see if you have found a suitable place to make camp, type "quit test". Non-rangers can use "quit test" to determine if they are in a safe room. As a hint, a room will show QUIT in the exit options if it is quit safe.

Syntax:
quit
quit ooc <reason>
quit test
quit die

:P More seriously the gameworld obviously has a coded end to it. As to whether your character can find it without dying first? Good luck. Also there's the question of what's the Known World. How much does the average Zalanthan know about the world around him. Probably just what is close to their city and the surrounding areas. In that sense you can very much go outside the Known.

This thread gave me a new character concept.

There's a pretty good chance that the area outside the Known World is so ridiculously hostile and opposed to life that, if the ludicrously dangerous region you had to cross through to get to it (Barrier Mountains, Kryl Forest, Salt Flats, Silt Sea) hasn't killed you, that the denizens and environment of the new area will kill you dead. But yeah, it's probably possible before something tears you to itty bitty pieces.

yeah. thought might have something dangerous. was just wondering if it would be something "you can not pass this region" or some invisible wall

The confines of the Known are defined by clear geographic barriers.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on May 14, 2014, 01:12:57 AM
The confines of the Known are defined by clear geographic barriers.

They're called Mekillots, Kryl, Desert Elves, and the silt sea.

You forgot the spiders.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

rogue gickers that are weird and twitchy from not interacting with a soul apart from shrieking gith for more than a couple of game years who tell you repeatedly without prompting that they're totally okay and you're safe with them, although nothing alive could actually relax around them

Armageddon actually takes place in the backyard from 'Honey, I Shrunk the Kids'.

Naw. Just beyond the cliffs at the end of the <location redacted> there is a hyperspace bypass.

It's a real shame that a new player is asking a sincere question, wanting help figuring something out, and all he's getting now is a bunch of "in-jokes" that he might or might not get at all.

OP:

The "Known" is a specific set of areas/locations/zones that most characters would have at least heard about, even if they'd never been to them all.

There IS a set of coded areas that is "somewhere other than the Known," that is sometimes referred to ICly as "Beyond the Known." Your character might or might know of anyone who's ever been to any of these areas, might or might not ever want to go to them.

However, neither you nor your character might have any idea what those areas are, where they are, what they're called, if they even have names, and what's there if you ever get there.

Some of these "beyond the Known" areas might be relatively accessible, and some might be difficult, or only possible through certain means, or only under certain circumstances, etc. etc.

Unfortunately giving anything more than a vague response is against the rules, with good reason. They are "beyond the Known." Meaning, for all intents and purposes, they are - and should remain "unknown" to most people. In this particular case, I'd say discovery IC is going to be your #1 absolute most enjoyable method of finding out anything more. And if that doesn't happen for another year, or two, don't fret. Most players have never seen these places either. We just hear they exist and hope to have an IC reason to find them some day.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

thanks. that means I can try to do an adventurer character to find these places. I wasn't going to try if there was nothing there.

Quote from: roobee on July 03, 2014, 01:30:50 PM
thanks. that means I can try to do an adventurer character to find these places. I wasn't going to try if there was nothing there.

Good luck, may you find the adventure that you're looking for.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA