Uniform code

Started by MeTekillot, May 01, 2014, 12:22:58 AM

Do you support the prospect of changing uniform code in the fashion stated below?

Yes
17 (73.9%)
No
5 (21.7%)
But what about sdesc that aren't adjective, adjective noun?
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Change almost all clan uniforms to function the way Templar robes do, so someone wearing a Byn aba will be the adjective, adjective Bynner, a Kadian hunter will be the adjective, adjective Kadian Hunter, militamen, soldiers, etc.

Noble rings could maybe do this to, so that anyone wearing a silver ring would be notified as the nobleman/noblewoman, things like that.

This would help with newbie not knowing which clan uniforms mean what, whether or not that over-dressed indie merchant is a noble or not, and just what the fuck rank are you, militiaman?

May 01, 2014, 12:31:19 AM #1 Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:33:11 AM by QuillDipper
I like this for -some- items, I suppose, but noble rings are going a bit far I think.

I mean, if you spot a brown aba from two blocks away, you'll know its a Byn. That's a big brown blob. But it's not like you'll spot a ring right away at a distance, or even up close.

I like how the AoD does it. It has the word 'militia' in their cloaks. That's more than enough I think, that when someone sees it they'll understand enough. A 'brown, Byn aba' or 'a brown and purple House Blargh signet ring' would be more suitable than changing the sdesc.
Part-Time Internets Lady

I actually hate the word militia there because of what it implies. Byn military aba's should be "Mercenaries aba's" and soldiers should get the "military cloaks."

You know?

Edit: About the idea: I love it.

A long time ago (but I can't find the post with the search tool) I suggested a command that would operate similar to "look tables", but would result in:

In the room you see:
1. a green-eyed man - militia cloak
2. a blue-eyed woman - militia cloak
3. a red-eyed dwarf - salarr cloak
4. a dirty-eyed dwarf - byn sergeant cloak
5. a black-eyed breed - byn cloak
6. a purple-eyed woman - kadian sleeves

That way, you could glance at a room and get a general sense if there was a contingent from one clan sitting in it without looking at 10 people one by one. When I walk into a bar, if there is a table of cops, I don't have to look at each one carefully one by one to realize that they're all cops. Same should go with the Arm, etc.

The only problem with this command is that newbies probably wouldn't know to use it. But it would be great for when you reroll in a new area or come back from taking a break and no longer know all the active players.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

So this works for templars because it's really important that players be able to immediately tell that they are seeing a templar - the virtual world of the city reacts to templars in ways that it simply doesn't for any other player.

I like this for some stuff but not others. I specifically don't like it for the Byn just because, in my mind, the Byn are as ragtag and un-uniform as you get.

What if there were set piece requirements? Like, if you're wearing a militia cloak AND several other pieces of gear that are tagged "nak_militia_set_piece" or whatever, it tacks on the adjective? Different sets could have different number requirements. Maybe you only need three militia pieces to get labeled as a "soldier," but you'd need five pieces to get labeled as "bynner" or "Kadian."
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Quote from: Thunkkin on May 01, 2014, 08:50:56 AM
When I walk into a bar, if there is a table of cops, I don't have to look at each one carefully one by one to realize that they're all cops. Same should go with the Arm, etc.

Yep, this... if we all sat in the bar with hoods up, you'd know which clans were present, but hoods down and it's look-look-look-look.

Would love this option for Clans with easily recognizable clan features - like the cloaks
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

May 01, 2014, 10:21:08 AM #6 Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:23:28 AM by Lizzie
A possible idea for this -

syntax livery

Anyone in the same room wearing -visible- and publically-known items that are coded as clan livery, will return an echo to the user.

example:

The green-skinned elf is affiliated with House Kurac.
The tressy-tressed thin woman is affiliated with House Oash.

You wouldn't necessarily know what the affiliation is without looking at them (or simply by typing "look tressy's ring" or "look elf's left shoulder" or similar), but the fact that they -are- affiliated with a clan would be noticeable with the "livery" command.

Could even be worked to echo differently depending on who you are and where you are.

If you're a Nakki in Allanak, and you come across someone wearing a Winrothol gorget, you wouldn't get any echo on that person.
If you're a rinthi in the rinth, you would recognize a guild or jaxa pah livery item. But if you're from the Allanak proper or Red Storm or anywhere else, that recognition wouldn't occur. You'd still have to look at the person to decide if your character recognizes an item or not.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I dig that, Lizzie, but could be brief livery instead?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Only problem with that Lizzie is how will that work with ldesc's... Will it make what you can put into your ldesc even shorter?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Great idea, Lizzie. I'm pretty sure we all had this discussion in the Arm 2 forum, maybe, and that's why I can't find it? But yes, a "livery" command would be perfect.

Slvrmoontiger: Lizzie isn't suggesting that the clan affiliation ALWAYS be visible as part of the sdesc. Rather, it would only be shown to the player in response to the "livery" command.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

What if livery went in assess -v ?
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: CodeMaster on May 01, 2014, 10:58:03 AM

I dig that.
Fredd-

Quote from: CodeMaster on May 01, 2014, 10:58:03 AM

I like this.
Part-Time Internets Lady

I'd rather see livery be its own command. Not everyone needs, or wants, to know whether what someone is wearing is special livery or not. But for those who do, they should be able to type a command that gives them the list. Similar to "key" except designed specifically to identify livery-wearing people.

I like the original suggestion better than an additional command that lets you check livery simply because it makes it more obvious for new players, and new players are probably going to get more use out of the code than anyone else. Afterall, they're the most likely to be unaware OOCly of what a uniform represents when their characters should know.

I like the idea of cloaks working similar to Templar's robes, a lot. Maybe some variables involved. For example it could be based on geographic places that you are familiar with; which could simply be tied into what accents you know.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Quote from: Narf on May 01, 2014, 11:28:08 AM
I like the original suggestion better than an additional command that lets you check livery simply because it makes it more obvious for new players, and new players are probably going to get more use out of the code than anyone else. Afterall, they're the most likely to be unaware OOCly of what a uniform represents when their characters should know.

Seems problematic, because anyone wearing an "official" livery item, which is covered by a non "official" livery item, would -not- be designated as the so-and-so Bynner or whatever else. And the code would need to reflect that as well.

Not to mention that not everyone calls Bynners "Bynners" - so what would the code call it? Would all soldiers be called "soldier" or would the code distinguish between the Arm and the Fist? And if it does, what would the code call it, in the sdesc? An Armer? A soldier of the Allanaki Arm? A Kurac Fist Member? A Fisty? A Kurac Mercenary? But what if they're a Trooper? A Kurac Trooper? How would the PC know this? The PC shouldn't necessarily know the exact rank. They should know the clan name, such as Kurac, or T'zai Byn, etc.

I just don't think this will work in that specific way. That's why I came up with the livery idea. It doesn't need to be called livery - it could be called uniform. Or outfit. Or clangear. Or gear. Or whatever you think would be the most intuitive.

However - lots and LOTS of things in Armageddon aren't intuitive, and it doesn't seem to stop new players from joining and playing and enjoying themselves and learning the syntax. Adding something that never previously existed is already a step in the right direction.

Kuraci Fist sounds better and uniform too.
Fredd-

I definitely support adding more code to support players learning the ropes as well as to enhance the visibility of key items in people's inventory.

In terms of how to do it, I like a lot of the suggestions in here, so livery or assess -v and what have you. There are definitely lots of ways to do it. I'll suggest another one:

"look -v", combining some key (customizeable?) elements of assess -v and applying it to everyone in the room, finding visible pieces of clan gear and bringing it out similar to how their carried bags are brought out:

Edit: Just realized that look -v clashes with the emote code allowing us to add an emote to our looks. So maybe that's a no go. Oh well.

>look -v
The Gladiator and the Gaj Tavern [N, E, S, Quit]
The muscular, dark-haired man is standing here.
   -He is wearing a military aba associated with the Tzai'Byn.
The opal-eyed, pale woman is standing here.
   -She is wearing a so-and-so cloak associated with House Fale.
The steel-eyed man is standing here.
   -He is wearing a black Allanaki Militia cloak.
   -He is armed.

Maybe the being armed or not is a useful addition, maybe it could be toggled as a preference. Anyway, just something else to throw in the mix.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I dig it and is better than Lizzie's.
Fredd-

Quote from: Barsook on May 01, 2014, 11:41:40 AM
Kuraci Fist sounds better and uniform too.

The green-eyed, slender Kuraci Fist is standing here.

That looks - sorry - but it looks pretty ridiculous. Especially to a newcomer who doesn't realize that "Fist" is the name of a clan unit, and doesn't refer to a disembodied hand with clenched fingers.

Quote from: Harmless on May 01, 2014, 11:48:39 AM
I definitely support adding more code to support players learning the ropes as well as to enhance the visibility of key items in people's inventory.

In terms of how to do it, I like a lot of the suggestions in here, so livery or assess -v and what have you. There are definitely lots of ways to do it. I'll suggest another one:

"look -v", combining some key (customizeable?) elements of assess -v and applying it to everyone in the room, finding visible pieces of clan gear and bringing it out similar to how their carried bags are brought out:

Edit: Just realized that look -v clashes with the emote code allowing us to add an emote to our looks. So maybe that's a no go. Oh well.

>look -v
The Gladiator and the Gaj Tavern [N, E, S, Quit]
The muscular, dark-haired man is standing here.
   -He is wearing a military aba associated with the Tzai'Byn.
The opal-eyed, pale woman is standing here.
   -She is wearing a so-and-so cloak associated with House Fale.
The steel-eyed man is standing here.
   -He is wearing a black Allanaki Militia cloak.
   -He is armed.

Maybe the being armed or not is a useful addition, maybe it could be toggled as a preference. Anyway, just something else to throw in the mix.

This is also problematic, because if they are wearing several pieces of official livery, it could get insanely screen-scrollish. You can't make it _only_ for cloaks/abas because some clanned people have epaulettes, or striped sleeves, or clan-specific boots, or signet rings, and NOT be wearing their cloaks. So the code would still need to let the viewer know they're affiliated even if they're not wearing the cloak, but ARE wearing some other identifying piece of clan gear.

And again if they're wearing a few, the code would end up saying:

The green-eyed slender man is here.
- he is wearing the aba of the Kurac Fist.
- he is wearing the boots of the Kurac Fist.
- he is wearing the signet ring of Kurac
- he is blah blhlbha for another half dozen lines.
AND THEN you get to see the second person.

Oops, sorry about that I think  I was just waking up when I responded... Yes livery command seems really neat. A good idea... Seems also that it would be pretty simple to work in as it would just pull from the tribes data.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

And again if they're wearing a few, the code would end up saying:

The green-eyed slender man is here.
- he is wearing the aba of the Kurac Fist.
- he is wearing the boots of the Kurac Fist.
- he is wearing the signet ring of Kurac
- he is blah blhlbha for another half dozen lines.
AND THEN you get to see the second person.

This can be pretty easily prevented in the code with an 'if' statement or similar, I believe.

Or it can simply state something like

The whatever, whatever man is here.
-he is wearing a livery associated with <Clan>

I still dig the idea of certain items changing the keyword like Templar robes do, though. Not every item just big noticeable ones like cloaks. Or perhaps adding it to assess -v
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Association might be better and less spamy.
Fredd-