New kid here!

Started by Natterjack, March 23, 2014, 02:22:15 PM

something tells me that this is gonna be an entirely different experience from achaea, though whether it'll be a better experience or a worse one remains to be seen ..

hey, guys. my name's mariah and once my submission is approved by the staff, i hope to play natterjack. dunno if this is the place for introductions, but might as well, right? i blame all of you for having such interesting conversations; i couldn't help but want to join in. from what i've seen so far, you have quite the community here and i can't wait to get a firsthand taste of the in-game excitement.

Welcome to Armageddon.  :)

You are quite right to think we're different from other MUDs, but I hope you'll find the change to be all for the better!

Hello there!

The Arm helpers (which you can access from the main page) really helped chat me through some problems I had with the early game.  I recommend it, if you can get into a conversation with one.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Welcome to Armageddon!

I hope you enjoy your stay. Feel free to ask a couple questions here, however as pointed out the helpers chat is usually the best place and if you catch someone live you can get an answer right away and not have to wait around for someone to post on here, thought there are usually always players on here. Good luck.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

March 23, 2014, 08:20:51 PM #4 Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:47:09 PM by Rahnevyn
Yeah, Nat's loving it.

Poor Natterz died. Probs for the best, after all the shit he got into at G&G, lol. Good news? My new character lives! And I'm gonna study up on more culture refs, just because, yanno, I'd like to try and live a little longer this time.

This and Achaea are very different, and you can't really compare them. We don't generally coddle people *cough* but rather, you know, hurl them into pits. Or into flowerbeds. But we do it -subtly-. Or overtly. And we do it awesomely.

That said, helper chat (or even the GDB) are excellent places to get help. If you dig back in the New Player forums you should find lots of questions, and answers, that will help set you on the right (or wrong) path. Good... or evil.

March 23, 2014, 09:47:12 PM #6 Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:56:08 PM by RogueGunslinger
I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I even saw you in-game. You did great and stirred up some good roleplay in a situation where little was going on. That's all it takes to be a good roleplayer, so great job!

That said it's bad form to share what your character is doing, or who they are. We don't mind so much for you noobies because there's little to no harm, but as you play more and more you'll realize that people can lets IC and OOC bleed together, and end up disliking all of your characters for something one of them did.

I'm glad to have ran into you in the game though, hope you stick around for some time to come!

Quote from: Saellyn on March 23, 2014, 09:34:54 PM
This and Achaea are very different, and you can't really compare them. We don't generally coddle people *cough* but rather, you know, hurl them into pits. Or into flowerbeds. But we do it -subtly-. Or overtly. And we do it awesomely.

That said, helper chat (or even the GDB) are excellent places to get help. If you dig back in the New Player forums you should find lots of questions, and answers, that will help set you on the right (or wrong) path. Good... or evil.

yeah, i'm loving the live helper chat. lauramars has been a huge help to me so far and i really can't thank her enough for her patience and support <3 and yeah, achaea and armageddon are entirely different in terms of plot and objectives. achaea offers more in way of newbie guidance; as in, they have a tutorial and newbie channel in-game. also, they have mapped rooms and a larger player base. armageddon, however, has richer roleplay opportunities due to the complex culture between species and cities, etc.

Natterjack, I edited your post to take out your new character's name. As other players have mentioned, we like to keep a thick line between IC and OOC, and so we don't allow discussion of IC events here on the boards, in most circumstances.

That said, glad you're enjoying yourself, and good luck on the new pc!
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Personally, it depends on your character and what type of breed they are. There are three forms of half-elf's - Human looking, Elf looking, and A horrid mix of both looking.

Breeds are VERY difficult to play well, hence why they are NOT recommended for new players. I enjoy the challenge that breeds bring to the table some times. Other times they can be infuriatingly frustrating to play. But its all still a challenge. You may want to try out other races available. Humans are easiest to get employment and friends in the game. Stumps are fairly easy to socialize and get employment as well. However, stumps are complicated because of their obsessions that they have.

Its always fun to try different things so I recommend it. Try switching out where your character is from once in a while when you create a new character. It allows you to learn the world better.

Its good you are having fun even with the death of your 1st character being fairly short lived. Don't let death discourage you. I'm glad to see you didn't. Stick it out and have fun. Good luck.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I'm really glad that the incident at the G&G didn't turn you off the game (by all accounts you seem to have enjoyed yourself, which is fantastic).

Hope to see you around more.

I was there for that scene! Hahaha! I was like, OMG, this can only end badly! How do I stop him before those guys do that thing?! But I enjoyed it none the less. Keep at it!
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

April 09, 2014, 03:12:39 PM #12 Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:25:41 PM by Jeax
Quote from: Natterjack on March 23, 2014, 09:48:21 PM
achaea and armageddon are entirely different in terms of plot and objectives. achaea offers more in way of newbie guidance; as in, they have a tutorial and newbie channel in-game. also, they have mapped rooms and a larger player base. armageddon, however, has richer roleplay opportunities due to the complex culture between species and cities, etc.

Armageddon has a bit of a steeper learning curve to get the swing of, because you do have to learn so much about the culture and whatnot, but that's because there is culture actually there. I used to be Staff for Iron Realms, and I played those MUDs for I guess around 6 years? But...there is no comparison. Those are just glorified hack and slash MUDs. Hack'n'slash can still be fun, but if I want that in truth I'll go play BatMUD or something. If I want a real story, Armageddon is where it's at.

Not to mention the general gameplay differences...in IRE MUDs you essentially have the same 4 classes rinsed repeated for each city. You pretty much know everyone's abilities and what they will do...and everything keeps balanced. Here at Armageddon, there are just people you don't mess with. There are people you don't know what they can do. Add in an actual -real- political element to the game, for a whole other level of power and ability. It just gets deeper and deeper.

As I said, no comparison.

I do kind of wish for some things on Armageddon, just like everyone else, put hopefully as the playerbase grows we can see some of these things come into play.

Quote from: Natterjack on March 23, 2014, 09:48:21 PM
they have a tutorial and newbie channel in-game.

They do, and that's a nice feature. However, there is no good way to do a "tutorial" for Armageddon, really. You could tutorial commands, I guess, but that wouldn't teach you how to actually play.

As far as a newbie chat, use the Helper Chat! And then you can ask them the specifics. I feel like the Helper Chat is underutilized. When I was first starting, the Helper Chat didn't exist, I always pestered a Helper over AIM. But I was constantly asking my chosen Helper how people would respond to certain things, what to call certain people, etc etc. Really helped me get started. I was slow, of course, but that's alright until you get the hang of it all. I used to be -really- slow at doing emotes or adding flair to commands, because I was learning the ^ % & stuff.