Hello from another n00b

Started by Ginger Thunder, March 18, 2014, 10:23:44 PM

So I've been playing for about a day now.  It was very overwhelming at first, wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing or where anything was or whatever.  But I'm starting to figure out the emoting thing (still a bit slow though, and sometimes doesn't work out well.)  I did make my first character not human and not warrior/ranger.  i know, I'm going to have a bit of a tougher learning curve, but I'm ok with it.  And I really got a great taste of RP today and it was great, even if it was at the...uhm...stern hands...of a Templar.

Questions:

1. I've seen in another posts that shoe stealing is a common problem.  But my shoes have NOT been stolen...should I be offended?  I kid.

Ok, real questions:

2. I've looked all over, but how do you note the people you've met, especially once you've learned their names.  What I mean is, if I meet someone and their descriptor is The Brawny Old Man, and I find out his name is Bob, can I set something up so that when I meet him in the future, it comes up, Bob, instead of the sdesc?  Or do i just have to write these peoples sdecs and names down or something?  

3. Not that I'm trying to do so right now, but how do you become noble/templar?  Is this a karma thing?

RP stuff

4. I saw in a "slang" thread that in Tuluk you are supposed to address a noble as Faithful Lord. Is this for Templars or nobles or both?

I'm using MUSHclient by the way, but willing to change to something else if someone suggests something better.

1. Boots are hard to steal, you have to kill your mark first.

2. No, there is no "remember" context in game, you are required to just "remember" on your own. Some use notepad, others forget OOCly and just roll with it ICly as a "You weren't important enough" etc.

3. Noble/Templar is a "Sponsored" role. Meaning staff will put out that they are looking, and players apply. Karma has some to do with it, but not all.

4. Faithful is Tuluk only. In Allanak, they are simply "Lord/Lady Templar".
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Noble (not Templar) titles are Chosen Lady/Lord (Dasari) in Tuluk; Lady/Lord (Fale) in Allanak. (shortened version)

Faithful Lord/Lady is what they call the templars only. The nobles are referred to as Chosen Lord/Lady.

As for remembering names, the code doesn't remember them. I just write it down on a page in a notebook on my desk (not Notepad - I mean a real actual paper spiral-bound notebook).

I cross out names when I learn people have died, and when the page is full, I turn the page and start the next one. I start a new page with each new character I play.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Ok...

From the Merchant guild help file:

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Merchants

QuoteMerchant is one of the three guilds that are _highly recommended_ for new players to choose.

From FAQ 3:

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/FAQ%203

QuoteMerchants are quite possibly the hardest guild to play, even more so than defilers. The life of a merchant is extremely hard unless he/she knows the land very well, and he/she must have a good working knowledge of the trading possibilities in the world early on or he/she will starve.

So...what's the deal?

One refrences the OOC Guild, the other seems to be referencing the IC job of being a merchant.

Just because something is hard ICly doesn't mean it's bad for a new player to play.

This is just my assumption.

Merchants are good for new players because you can -scrape by- without leaving the walls, giving you a longer lifespan than, say, the beastly, scar-riddled huntmaster.

However, being a -successful- merchant? That requires a lot of work
Part-Time Internets Lady

*nods* Its also boring.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

boring is a very subjective assessment. It depends on your playing style. It does take the guesswork out of being long lived, though, if you get a little training. So it's a good way to learn the culture and make friends, as time creates bonds.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Here is a different. answer.
The merchant help files are older then the faq. the merchant class used to be VERY different from what it uis now.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

The merchant class is for social players, honestly, in most cases. Generally your lifespan as a merchant who rides around in the sand on a giant insect by yourself is pretty short. If you enjoy sitting in taverns and talking to people and possibly being creative and able to add new objects to the game, then the merchant class could make you pretty happy.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

And dying to wilderness monsters isn't so bad. You can reroll. The staff understands it happens, especially when learning the game. Don't be afraid to die, but give yourself a fighting chance at survival by rolling up warriors, rangers, and maybe assassins.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on March 21, 2014, 11:11:28 AM
And dying to wilderness monsters isn't so bad. You can reroll. The staff understands it happens, especially when learning the game. Don't be afraid to die, but give yourself a fighting chance at survival by rolling up warriors, rangers, and maybe assassins.

More importantly than class choice, practice typing "flee self" at first sign of trouble.

(Flee alone isn't enough, cause some things you don't want to give even one round of attacks to)

Quote from: Narf on March 21, 2014, 03:08:39 PM

More importantly than class choice, practice typing "flee self" at first sign of trouble.

(Flee alone isn't enough, cause some things you don't want to give even one round of attacks to)

Huh, I've never done this, I'd think it easier to type run, then the direction. Flee self, I think I'd find myself disoriented. Is there some advantage to this?
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on March 21, 2014, 05:02:43 PM
Quote from: Narf on March 21, 2014, 03:08:39 PM

Huh, I've never done this, I'd think it easier to type run, then the direction. Flee self, I think I'd find myself disoriented. Is there some advantage to this?

Flee self according to the helpfile automatically gets you to flee regardless of if you are under attack or not. It also supposedly breaks follow and/or shadow more importantly.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Macro flee self on F1, stand on F2.
It doesn't stop me dying.