Roleplaying Disconnecting/Logging off

Started by Erdos, March 18, 2014, 02:47:43 PM

I am unsure about the etiquette when "quitting" from a safe room. Seeing as disappearing from a room is an inherently OOC thing to do, how does one politely and without disrupting anyone's IC experience log off.

Thanks for any help.

Mainly I just make up an IC reason for what I have to go and do, whether it be going to rest in the room I'm in, or going to do something outside of the room I'm in.  Then emoting appropriately and quitting out.

If it's something like a dormitory in a public area, you can make some sort of comment about how you have to rest for a bit, then emote walking to a cot (or whatever) and settling onto it.
say (stifling a yawn) I'm beat, I gotta get some rest.
emote makes her way to a vacant cot in the back of the room and eases onto it
quit

If your character isn't going to 'rest' but you have to log out from a tavern or something like that, you can give a vague excuse of where you're going and then emote heading out to the road.
say (glancing back to the road) Oh, I've gotta go an' talk t'Amos for a bit, I'll see ya later.
emote turns and heads for the road, giving a quick wave over the shoulder
quit

Welcome to Armageddon!

There are actually a variety of excuses and IC reasons you can use to log out. If you're logging out in a public dormitory that most taverns have, you can consider your PC is simply going to sleep, and can excuse himself by stating that he needs to sleep.

If you're in a clan then you will find that there are some common excuses, like "wall duty" or guard duty. Of course, going to sleep is fine too.

Ultimately, everyone understands you can't be logged in all the time and you won't disrupt anything by logging out when you need to, though saying something before you go is generally appreciated.

Thank you! I will take those in to consideration.  :)

emote wanders off.
Part-Time Internets Lady

March 18, 2014, 06:14:03 PM #5 Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:16:12 PM by CodeMaster
So long, suckers!!

http://youtu.be/u31OjOPF-ZI?t=4m12s

I should add some actual content. One clan I saw had an excuse of a certain duty that had to be performed. Whenever someone had to log off they just said "Oh, I need to do my X."  It seems as though anything to do with "resting", "holing up for a little while", or whatever are good excuses.

I just ignore the message that the game gives.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Welcome to Armageddon!

em fades into the crowded bustle of the tavern.
quit
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 18, 2014, 08:01:40 PM
Welcome to Armageddon!

quit

you can't quit here.
Indicating the sleeping commons to the east, the bartender says, in southern accented sirihish:
             "Go sleep over there!"

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 18, 2014, 08:03:41 PM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 18, 2014, 08:01:40 PM
Welcome to Armageddon!

quit

you can't quit here.
Indicating the sleeping commons to the east, the bartender says, in southern accented sirihish:
             "Go sleep over there!"

Guess that would all depend on what tavern you are in. If you have any questions find out IG.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

No reason to find out IG, the help file's pretty clear about it. You can type "quit test" in any room, as long as you're standing up, to see if a room is "quittable."

In the one bar, the bartender gives you a reminder ICly by telling you to go to the east room, which is designated a sleeping area, and a "quit-safe room."

For the new player, this can be confusing, because quitting out IS a coded, OOC construct, and yet the bartender reacts to your attempt in an IC way.

I liken it to the tavern boards. Your character can't read. And yet the tavern message boards require that you use the "read" command. It's conflicting information that might be confusing to a new player (and if you've never seen a new player emote out, so sweetly, that he is reading those boards, you've missed out).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Also when you do a look in the room title it will have Quit if its a safe room.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 18, 2014, 09:36:49 PM
Also when you do a look in the room title it will have Quit if its a safe room.

Only inside buildings and in specific locations outside cities. If you're a ranger, and want to quit the game somewhere, it might be "too busy to camp here." If you just want to know if it's safe to quit for another day, but aren't really trying to quit out now, typing "quit test" will give you the answer.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

For new players or players in general who don't know, there is a "quit ooc" function that allows you to quit out from anywhere in the game. It requires you give a reason. Like: quit ooc I've got diarrhea.

But you have log off in a quit safe room after you used it once.  And you can't abuse it.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Usually you can emote like you're going off to do other 'things'. Guard duty, sleeping, cleaning armor, whatever.
"Everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

"Do not become addicted to water, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence."