Several merchants in one room

Started by growingall, September 07, 2003, 06:11:55 PM

Ok, there is one elf and one dwarf selling things in a room.

ROOM DESC
ELF
DWARF

I try to offer my item A to the elf.

>offer A

- The elf refuses it

Then I want to offer my thing to the dwarf.

>offer A Dwarf

- I get the message that the ELF refuses it.

I simply cannot figure out how to offer stuff to merchant number 2.

And

>look Dwarf

Gives the desc of the dwarf.

Fun is what we are here for..

Unfortunately I can't try in game right now, but unless my memory fails me you could try to put the address-keyword as the second part, as in:
offer dwarf cloak

Frog Fairy is just holding out on you.  The easiest way to handle this is to kill the first merchant.

If it keeps doing that to you, and absolutely no keywords will work for the second merchant, you'd do well to either wish up about it or send a bug report.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

CRW is absolutely correct in this matter. Before you do it however make it IC by RPing him pissing on your shoes or something.

Suggestions of mine takes seriously are subject to severe karma loss or sitebanning.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

When there are two or more merchants in the room it is easier to buy than to sell.

To buy you need to specify the item and the merchant, and also the price if you want to haggle:

>list dwarf
>buy sword dwarf
>buy #17 dwarf
>offer 65 sword dwarf

To sell you always need to specify the item, the asking price, and the merchant:

>offer sword 40 dwarf

If you don't have the value skill, have sold this item before, or have some other way of knowing what a "reasonable" asking price is you can get in trouble here.  If you offer the item but ask a ridiculously high price the merchant may get mad and refuse to deal with you at all, and he stays mad for days.  If you offer too low he will accept your offer, making it hard to barter the price up at all.  He might be willing to pay 50 but if you ask for 10 he will pay 10, so you get cheated out of your profit.

Hope that helps.

AC

QuoteOFFER

This command is used to initiate or continue haggling with a merchant. If you are completely
unfamiliar with the barter system of buying and selling goods, see help faq under the heading
"How do I purchase things from shops?"

There are two syntaxes for the offer command, but the general form follows:

offer <money or item> <money or item> <merchant>

The difference between buying and selling is subtle, and sometimes does not even involve an
exchange of money. The best way to describe these two processes is by example.

In order to buy a sword, for instance, which a merchant wishes to open for bidding at 100
coins, one could begin by typing:

> offer 90 sword

The merchant will either counter with his/her own offer or will stand by the original price.
Repeated attempts at lowering the price are allowed, and you may manage to convince the
merchant to agree.

It is possible, however, to enrage merchants with insane offers or by haggling too long on one
item. It will be evident when a merchant is beginning to get angry.

In order to sell the same sword (which the merchant wants to buy at 60 coins, for example),
one could type:

> offer sword 65

And the same process will operate as with buying.

To exchange one item for another, say a shield for the sword:

> offer shield sword

In the case where multiple items of the same name are present, one can refer to the item
desired by its number (which is obtained by use of the list command). Thus:

> offer 75 #12

may be perfectly acceptable.

Once the deal is satisfactory, one must use the barter command (q.v.) to end haggling and
make the exchange.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "AC"To sell you always need to specify the item, the asking price, and the merchant:

>offer sword 40 dwarf

Man, awesome I had no idea.  All these years I'd just follow the merchant and wait for them to move.

What a tard I be.