Moons (are they rising or are they setting)

Started by slvrmoontiger, March 03, 2014, 12:54:57 PM

Okay, this has always been a concern of mine. When you do weather all it shows is moon is low or moon is high. There is no indication of if it is rising or setting or what stage its in. If one were to really look up into the sky you would know if the moon is going to become a full moon or if it is going to go away. Is there a reason why this isn't codedly in the system? Maybe it could get coded so one would know.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

The phases of the moon don't change because it's rising or setting.

But we should be able to see if the moon, whatever its phase, is near the eastern or western horizon, shouldn't we?

I believe OP means waxing or waning.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

:)

If that's the case then sure, we'd be able to tell if it was waxing or waning.

Sorry, I'll clear up confusion... I meant waxing or waning. Is it going to turn into a full moon or is it going to be gone the next day. This should be something you can tell by looking into the sky. Currently, if you type weather it doesn't show anything.

Proposed changes:

If Waxing:

Jihae, the red moon is low in the sky
Lirathu, the white moon is low in the sky

If Waning:

The red moon, Jihae is low in the sky
The white moon, Lirathu is low in the sky

This at least would give you an idea... Or you could change it to this.

Jihae, the red moon is low in the sky (Waxing)
Lirathu, the white moon is low in the sky (Waning)

The Waxing and Waning would be in the information in () so you know for sure. It shouldn't be a difficult thing to code, really.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

A good idea, but I would prefer to replace the waxing/waning with something more descriptive.

Jihae, the red moon is low in the sky.
Lirathu, the white moon is low in the sky.
The black moon is high in the sky.

Could become,

The blood-red face of Jihae is low on the eastern horizon.
A thin, white crescent of Lirathu is low on the western horizon.
A half-face of the black moon looms overhead.

I don't think that Zalathan moons wax and wane. Do they?

Getting a general sense of whether the moon is rising or setting without having to wait for it to switch between not there at all/low/high would be nice, for sure.

The mere fact that they rise and set at different times on different days already tells you that they must have phases, simply because that's how light reflection works.

Of course, this is assuming spheres orbiting each other like in the Sun-Earth-Moon system. Seems like a good starting assumption, but it's a fantasy world, so it's fair to depart from the expected if staff says so.

QuoteI don't think that Zalathan moons wax and wane. Do they?

A sturdy covering of deep crimson, with an ample hood, it would fall to

the ankles of the average human.  About the hemline of the robe are sewn the

phases of Jihae, on a white background--full moons at the front and back.

Quote from: Drayab on March 03, 2014, 05:35:09 PM
A good idea, but I would prefer to replace the waxing/waning with something more descriptive.

Jihae, the red moon is low in the sky.
Lirathu, the white moon is low in the sky.
The black moon is high in the sky.

Could become,

The blood-red face of Jihae is low on the eastern horizon.
A thin, white crescent of Lirathu is low on the western horizon.
A half-face of the black moon looms overhead.

This. Would. Be. Very. Sexy.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

March 05, 2014, 05:01:09 PM #10 Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:08:30 PM by Eyeball
The moons don't make sense in general. They don't rise and set each day; instead, they stay in the sky for several days on end and only disappear from view for relatively short times, always rising or setting at midnight.

It makes me suspect that Zalanthas is flat, they actually do travel through the sky, and they give off their own light instead of reflecting Suk-Krath's light.  :D

Quote from: Eyeball on March 05, 2014, 05:01:09 PM
The moons don't make sense in general. They don't rise and set each day; instead, they stay in the sky for several days on end and only disappear from view for relatively short times, always rising or setting at midnight.

It makes me suspect that Zalanthas is flat, they actually do travel through the sky, and they give off their own light instead of reflecting Suk-Krath's light.  :D

It could simply be that the moons have elliptical and/or slow orbits around zalanthas

Two words: Crystal. Sphere.

The short, bearded man puts away his Dark Sun books.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

This has been brought up and suggested before (indications of both the direction of movement relative to position and the phase changing), but still would be great to see put in!
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Frankly its annoying that you can't know right off the bat. In real life you would be able to tell without waiting for anything. You would just know. If the moon appears in the west and disappears from view in the east then if you saw it low in the west you would know it would become higher later. I don't know why this isn't put into effect.

I bet it will be. It's just message changes. Almost any change takes time, but this is exceptionally simple, and so I bet someone gets to it soon after this thread.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Letting people quickly and accurately judge whether the moons are rising or setting (not waxing or waning) will encourage crimbimbal behavior.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on March 14, 2014, 01:57:21 PM
Letting people quickly and accurately judge whether the moons are rising or setting (not waxing or waning) will encourage crimbimbal behavior.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It will allow people to be able to protect themselves from it easier too.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 14, 2014, 12:05:13 PM
Frankly its annoying that you can't know right off the bat. In real life you would be able to tell without waiting for anything. You would just know. If the moon appears in the west and disappears from view in the east then if you saw it low in the west you would know it would become higher later. I don't know why this isn't put into effect.

I don't think I have worked it out in real life, just by looking up once to look at the moon. I could be much thicker than the average PC though.

Quote from: solera on March 15, 2014, 12:11:04 AM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on March 14, 2014, 12:05:13 PM

I don't think I have worked it out in real life, just by looking up once to look at the moon. I could be much thicker than the average PC though.

I suppose in RL emphasis on the moon and its phases is no longer a requirement to survival. You have street lights that will light the darkness... Cars that have headlights... Other current and recent marvels. I suppose if you think back to the 1600's in RL most would know the phases of the moon.

I don't mean the phases, I mean whether the moon is going up or down. But you're right, I constantly watch the sun and shadows for time, but the moon...well, its either in the sky in full gloriousness, or weak newness, or it's not , because it hasn't come up or down yet. And I haven't a clue which way it is headed .
If I was an awake and working for 9 (?) hours Zalanthan, I should know they were upping or downing.
Ugh. Must sleep.

By knowing the phases you would know if its rising or setting. Its one in the same. Just like real life moon. There are phases of it. By knowing the phases you learn if its going to bright or dark at night. I would think Zalanthas moons you would know according to the position in the sky. Does Larathu always appear from the west and disappear from sight to the east? Does Jihae always rise from the north and set from the south? This is something everyone that needs to know how light or dark it will be at night will learn very early on in their professions. Simply studying or seeing which way does which over say a years time would tell you.

Then again I could be wrong. Would anyone on the staff like to comment about this?