Plants in City

Started by Silent Bob, September 07, 2003, 04:43:12 AM

If you see a plant on a main road in the city is it a crime to take a leaf from it?  Would I get a warning before I took the leaf telling me it is a crime to touch it or take something?

I don't know the answer.  But let's look at this, and I'm not trying to be condescending here.

Do you think that if a city-state ruled in such a brutal manner as Allanak paid to put plants on the road they would care if Joe Commoner came along and took a leaf?

More than that, if all the, what, 500k or something, citizens in Allanak did that, would there be any plant left after the first hour?

In my mind based on the fact that its even there, there is something preventing the Allanaki citizenry from de-leafing it.

But this is just my thoughts on the matter, I don't know for sure.

This is definitely one of those "Find out IC" questions.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Hmmm thinking about this, Is there a gardening skill? I think it would be pretty neat. Maybe go along with the dig command found in the other thread.

Of course the critical fails would be hilarious as always

dig

you dig a hole

plant baobab hole

you begins tucking a baobab seed into a hole

..... (time goes by) .......

As you try and cover the seed with soft dirt you annihilate it into little
pieces.

But even if you weren't doing a tree. A little garden plot would be neat. Is something like this currently possible? I have no idea as my only merchant thought he was a ranger and took on a silt horror. Dont know why he lost, I was wielding some pretty expensive linen.....
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

My thoughts on small plant life growing in the street was that they were naturally occuring desert weeds, feeding off moisture garnered from other, cared-for plants nearby.

Why would a templar or militia person care if a citizen is picking leaves off weeds, or picking flowers for one's sweetheart? Cutting down, defacing or climbing on a tree that's part of some monument might be a different matter, but seriously... Wouldn't they have better things to do, otherwise?
quote="Lirs"]Sometimes I wonder why I do it.. when reading the GDB feels like death.[/quote]

QuoteWhy would a templar or militia person care if a citizen is picking leaves off weeds, or picking flowers for one's sweetheart? Cutting down, defacing or climbing on a tree that's part of some monument might be a different matter, but seriously... Wouldn't they have better things to do, otherwise?

Good point, and in this case I assumed that the player was talking about what I believe are some new additions in the game that seem to be more than just your average weed.

If it is a weed, then go for it.  If it isn't, then I would say it is absolutely illegeal.  Now, the crime code might or might not pick up on it, but even if the crime code will not respond, if am imm is watching I would expect a response.  In a world nearly devoid of water, anything living has a certain value to it.  If the city is going so far as to plant and water things, then I would absolutely expect the city to defend such valuable water investments like the way they would defend an obsidian statue from commoners chipping off pieces.  So, yes, it certainly is illegal.  Even if the code lets you get away with it, don't think that that is a thumbs up to go ahead and pillage the city's improvements.  If someone catches you doing it, you will certainly be in trouble.

After looking at the descriptions in game, I've come the conclusion that CRW is probably right, and that ic'ly, it's been made to look like even the smaller plants were put there purposely as some kind of city-development.

However, I'd hate to be the pc militia person who gets told to catch the naughty citizens who have been picking all the leaves. It just doesn't seem enforceable, does it? The location where they rest is just too crowded.

So, in conclusion, if you rp that you're collecting leaves which fell off the plant, hey, why not? If you rp nothing and just happen to be stripping the plants of everything useful, don't be surprised if they don't last long. As CRW said, it doesn't seem likely they'd survive.
quote="Lirs"]Sometimes I wonder why I do it.. when reading the GDB feels like death.[/quote]

If your not sure, act sneaky like and RP how you pick them as the soldiers look away, etc etc, honestly, if you dont rp and just type get all plant and an admin happens to be watching - you might be in alot of IC trouble but if you at least rp how you get them, an admin watching you
may not type in "accuse pc 1000 hours." of course, they still might do it anyway....
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.

OOCly - codewise, if a plant exists in a "room" and it is "breakable" or its contents "gettable," then it is there specifically for people to "break" or "get." Whether the breaking and getting is legal in the location it's been placed is another issue altogether.

I would take a look at the location. The room description. If it describes a place with a carefully tended garden, or intentionally planted flowers in neat rows on the side of the road, then it's probably not "kosher" to get them, and you'd want to be sneaky about it if you were willing to take the risk.

If it's out in the desert, I'm guessing all bets are off.

If it's in a room described as an abandoned shell of what might have once been something nice, but is now full of rotting who knows what, I'm guessing a bit of grabbing here and there won't get you in trouble. Unless that area happens to be someone's property, in which case it's still a good idea to emote that you're being careful.