Roleplaying: Some Opportunities to Improve

Started by Nyr, February 21, 2014, 10:16:06 AM

I couldn't have said it better myself, Desertman.

+1
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Yeah, watch how they talk about that breed, elf, gemmer, etc. they were so nice to after they finally bite it. Once the threat is no longer there, things change.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Desertman on March 03, 2014, 11:38:02 AM
My two sids.

It basically comes down to this. Unless you want to be killed quickly for being shitty to everyone in a game that has between 70 - 80 people on during peak times, you can't just be a raging asshole to everyone.

If you are a raging asshole to every breed, magicker, elf, or mutant you meet, every single time you see them, eventually, you are going to make someone important angry, either directly, or through someone they know.

A smart Zalanthan knows to have their fun beating up that lowly kid breed from the rinth nobody cares about, and to leave that breed wearing nice gear alone, for the most part. Why? That breed is obviously smart/savvy enough to either take care of themselves and be a potential danger, or possibly know people who could be a potential danger.

We don't treat mekillots and bahamets like family either, but we know not to spit in their faces.

It's about making the smart decisions for self preservation. For all you know, they are hating them on the inside the entire time they are smiling on the outside. Why? Because it behooves them to not go full retard on every gemmer/breed/elf they see, because you can only make so many enemies from so many places and stay alive.

Correct hate/mistrust roleplay does not equal making bad social and political decisions with fearless abandon on the self preservation front regularly.

Kinda.  This is only true because of a huge cooperative spirit coming about for the past several years.  The majority of players can walk down a street lined with starving people and corpses and say its not their problem.  But someone across the room makes an off-handed remark about how he'd like to kill this bitch, and everyone becomes a paragon of virtue and defense.  Everyone clamps down on the content and squeezes it out.

Self preservation works both ways.  Majority of people would mind their own business, because getting involved is a risk for no benefit.  Who cares if that guy spit in that other guy's face?  You barely know that guy, it's not your fight.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on March 03, 2014, 07:23:54 PM

Kinda.  This is only true because of a huge cooperative spirit coming about for the past several years.  The majority of players can walk down a street lined with starving people and corpses and say its not their problem.  But someone across the room makes an off-handed remark about how he'd like to kill this bitch, and everyone becomes a paragon of virtue and defense.  Everyone clamps down on the content and squeezes it out.

Self preservation works both ways.  Majority of people would mind their own business, because getting involved is a risk for no benefit.  Who cares if that guy spit in that other guy's face?  You barely know that guy, it's not your fight.

I have not noticed the paragon effect of late. I think that too is actually beginning to vanish as well.

Quote from: Scarecrow on March 03, 2014, 09:09:29 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on March 03, 2014, 07:23:54 PM

I have not noticed the paragon effect of late. I think that too is actually beginning to vanish as well.

Yeah, I see it every once in a while but it at least seems to be in the minority now. I suspect it feels bigger than it is by the virtue of the fact that most of the people that are letting people get bullied are doing it quietly, while those few that stand up for people do it loudly. One of those populations is going to stick in your memory better.

It's taken a little under two years of playing, but someone did actually scowl at me and tell me to stop being so racist a little while ago.

I'm not sure whether to feel proud about my play or annoyed at the remark itself ::)
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on March 04, 2014, 02:53:50 AM
I'm not sure whether to feel proud about my play or annoyed at the remark itself ::)

A little of both, maybe?
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: Patuk on March 04, 2014, 02:53:50 AM
It's taken a little under two years of playing, but someone did actually scowl at me and tell me to stop being so racist a little while ago.

Call them a (insert race) loving no-good rapscallion.

Racist apartments?

Like a dwarf family runs an apartment building they'll only let humans and dwarves rent or something.

Elves running an elves only apartment, humans a human-only apartment.

I actually think the racist-bent to renting is pretty darned cool. Good idea, guys.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on March 04, 2014, 08:30:24 AM
I actually think the racist-bent to renting is pretty darned cool. Good idea, guys.

Me too!

I actually think you're out of your damned minds. Unless you actually mean have apartment buildings for all races.

Quote from: Fujikoma on March 04, 2014, 09:07:21 AM
I actually think you're out of your damned minds. Unless you actually mean have apartment buildings for all races.

Stop playing annoying breeds then Fukijoma! Only humans allowed!

I think it's a great, realistic, chaos brewing change!

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on March 04, 2014, 09:12:20 AM
Quote from: Fujikoma on March 04, 2014, 09:07:21 AM

Stop playing annoying breeds then Fukijoma! Only humans allowed!

I think it's a great, realistic, chaos brewing change!

I'll have you know I've only played one annoying breed. The rest were pretty damned chill, for breeds, anyway :P. What this will do is provide further incentive to -not- play races that are already poorly represented (Allanaki city elves, anyone?) among the PC population. As someone who has spent a good deal of time living in Luir's, yes, you can do without a place to store your things, and you can even get by without a private place for certain activities (seriously, if you want to walk in on such things, there are other options than this sort of sweeping change), but it just makes things a lot more annoying and more difficult to manage (sitting around heavilly encumbered, unable to do anything for real life days while your customer finds every excuse not to pick up the things they asked for).

Breeds, neckers, and stumps are garbage not worthy of Nenyuk's fine holdings. Go live in a hovel you twice-kicked and three-times-deserved ragamuffin'.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

THe way I understand it is that some apartments will be racially biased, but that all races will have apartments that they can rent. It just might not be that one next to the Retreat, or the Storm, or ... in that swankish area.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I kind of like the idea of having bunches of elves packed into a few rooms. Mattresses on the floor, sheets up around the beds for a little privacy.

Of course, when that one pair of boots goes missing, it's gonna be chaos.

I'm curious to see how hidden breeds are affected by this code.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

What I'm thinking is racism against renters--- they can bring in any visitors they want, although they might want to keep track of how often they do that.

I wouldn't complain about a humans-only building only allowing human renters or visitors though. I'd expect it of a Salaar employees only complex.

Abandoned apartment building that technically touches both halves of the rinth--- let the chaos begin.

Quote from: long live miley cyrus on March 04, 2014, 01:19:18 PM
What I'm thinking is racism against renters--- they can bring in any visitors they want, although they might want to keep track of how often they do that.

I wouldn't complain about a humans-only building only allowing human renters or visitors though. I'd expect it of a Salaar employees only complex.

Abandoned apartment building that technically touches both halves of the rinth--- let the chaos begin.

Except Salarr hires dwarves, half-giants and sometimes breeds, so making it human only for a Salarr emloyee building, um, that doesn't make sense.

Right, that.

I meant Kadius, or whoever only has humans-only these days.

March 04, 2014, 01:28:07 PM #96 Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:30:47 PM by Fujikoma
Quote from: long live miley cyrus on March 04, 2014, 01:24:51 PM
Right, that.

I meant Kadius, or whoever only has humans-only these days.

Kadius hires dwarves (I think) and half-giants (pretty damned sure about this one).

And Kurac hires anything.

EDIT: Thinking noble houses can only hire humans. The Arm of the Dragon hires Half-giants and I know I've seen one dwarf in the past.

Staff can feel free to shut me down, but the dwarves that you saw in the AoD in the past were because of an extreme situation (the clan they were part of had been closed, and it was unfair to just depose them and leave them clanless).

Not all noble houses hired only humans. I believe House Tor, at that time, was known for having allowed dwarves (and possibly half giants) because it was a highly militaristic organization and the Tor Scorpions prized great strength and skill in combat with their hirees. Consequently, dwarves could at least hold one of those two requirements, and joining House Tor PROBABLY meant they were very dedicated to the ideals of the House.

Quote from: Saellyn on March 04, 2014, 04:23:53 PM
Staff can feel free to shut me down, but the dwarves that you saw in the AoD in the past were because of an extreme situation (the clan they were part of had been closed, and it was unfair to just depose them and leave them clanless).

Not all noble houses hired only humans. I believe House Tor, at that time, was known for having allowed dwarves (and possibly half giants) because it was a highly militaristic organization and the Tor Scorpions prized great strength and skill in combat with their hirees. Consequently, dwarves could at least hold one of those two requirements, and joining House Tor PROBABLY meant they were very dedicated to the ideals of the House.

I hate to keep posting a reply to every post posted, but I happen to know this was not the case for at least one dwarf. I am a relatively newer player, I was likely not around for the destruction of the dwarf clan you speak of. I will give it a bit of a break before posting again.