Roleplaying: Some Opportunities to Improve

Started by Nyr, February 21, 2014, 10:16:06 AM

I love the added racism to apartments, very cool. It would be neat to see them discriminate against anyone with a gem on as well. Though I also wish that there was a way to hide your gem (wearing something like a scarf on neck if the gem was 'about') more than just virtually, which people tend to ignore.

Tor Scorpions prized great strength and skill in combat with their hirees

I believe that it would be very rare for Tor to view anyone not Academy-trained to be anything more than an expendable and undisciplined mercenary, let alone believe they had great skill.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on March 04, 2014, 05:42:00 PM
I love the added racism to apartments, very cool. It would be neat to see them discriminate against anyone with a gem on as well. .

Agreed. Particularly the fancier apartments.

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter link=topic=47035.msg807746#msg807746 date=1393972920
i]Tor Scorpions prized great strength and skill in combat with their hirees[/i]

I believe that it would be very rare for Tor to view anyone not Academy-trained to be anything more than an expendable and undisciplined mercenary, let alone believe they had great skill.

With the possible exception of the AoD which they generally serve alongside. Maybe. Or maybe they just say that, and secretly think they're the meatshields of the Highlord while Tor does the actual fighting.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on March 04, 2014, 05:50:02 PM
... they just say that, and secretly think they're the meatshields of the Highlord while Tor does the actual fighting.
We did tend to think that, quietly.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on March 04, 2014, 05:42:00 PM
I love the added racism to apartments, very cool. It would be neat to see them discriminate against anyone with a gem on as well. Though I also wish that there was a way to hide your gem (wearing something like a scarf on neck if the gem was 'about') more than just virtually, which people tend to ignore.

Tor Scorpions prized great strength and skill in combat with their hirees

... So you agreed with what I said?

Thanks.

But yeah, House Tor is the equivalent Southern-wise to Shaolin Monks while the AoD were considered brown-belts. The Tor Scorpions were the utter baddest of the bad.

I've always wanted to see merchants be more racist. Delves should be charging round ears out the ass at the Outpost in the Pah.
Non humans should have to pay more than a human at most human city-based merchants.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on March 04, 2014, 10:18:01 PM
I've always wanted to see merchants be more racist. Delves should be charging round ears out the ass at the Outpost in the Pah.
Non humans should have to pay more than a human at most human city-based merchants.

To be honest, I'd like to see those as modifiers to an all out npc relations program that is totally a ton of work and the staff should do it with their volunteer time JUST BECAUSE I SAID SO.  And it should be in tomorrow.  But it'd be so cooooool.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on March 05, 2014, 12:18:00 AM

To be honest, I'd like to see those as modifiers to an all out npc relations program that is totally a ton of work and the staff should do it with their volunteer time JUST BECAUSE I SAID SO.  And it should be in tomorrow.  But it'd be so cooooool.

PC Merchants can definitely do something about that, but GENERALLY speaking, nobody wants "crafted" items. Everyone wants things they know/think are codedly more powerful because it comes from a GMH or Sponsored Role. I think it would be great if there were a number of things a PC Merchant could craft that were in at least moderate demand, so they COULD say "Well, the price is forty" to necks, but its only twenty to roundears.

Damn GMH merchants getting ALL dem perkz.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on March 07, 2014, 12:06:25 PM

I think it would be great if there were a number of things a PC Merchant could craft that were in at least moderate demand, so they COULD say "Well, the price is forty" to necks, but its only twenty to roundears.

Tents and arrows tend to be in demand, and the latter is craftable by starting merchants. Also if you camp the starting locations you can sell armor and weapons pretty easily. If you play an elven merchant and do this you'll have plenty of opportunities to be racist.

Quote from: Riev on March 07, 2014, 12:06:25 PM

PC Merchants can definitely do something about that, but GENERALLY speaking, nobody wants "crafted" items. Everyone wants things they know/think are codedly more powerful because it comes from a GMH or Sponsored Role. I think it would be great if there were a number of things a PC Merchant could craft that were in at least moderate demand, so they COULD say "Well, the price is forty" to necks, but its only twenty to roundears.

Damn GMH merchants getting ALL dem perkz.
PC Merchants, without House backing, have access to some decent recipes. Some of them are in demand.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

March 08, 2014, 05:28:21 PM #109 Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 05:35:21 PM by Derain
Did not read all of this, but somethign definitely needs to be said about using real world language in the in game world, it is apparently something I was doing for a few years now and just recently got a bad account note for. So watch out using the word "whore" and I forget the others mentioned in my account notes but, they were sexist words according to staff and they are frowned upon if used too much. I am not getting what I am trying to say here across too well -.-.

•Uses a lot of sexist RL words to describe women--everyone's a whore, bitch, slut, etc.
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

okay. so, whore isn't an insult, bitch doesn't really have the same context for all places (the only common canines are gortoks, not everybody knows what they look like etc because they only roam in specific regions, they don't have a strong cultural connection to being a "bad woman" like in western culture.) If you use the word bitch, I think you'd be describing a female gortok, likely a mother, probably in charge of their own little pack... nothing like the modern use. And slut is a difficult one to apply to allanak, because "slutty" behavior isn't exactly bad in allanak either unless in certain contexts.

Try: Breedfucker, breedlover, elf-fucker, etc. I mean, take something that exists in zalanthas and use it appropriately, get creative, try a little harder and it's all good. There's no language filter, it's more of a context thing.

sorry for a poorly worded post, I just had a bunch of coffee.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Wha? I can still use whore as the occupation right? Every leader PC I have ever worked for refers to sex workers as whores.

That word is still an apt description of a particular profession, yes. It could be used as an insult towards a highborn or GMH family member but in a similar way that you could use "Grebber" or "Stone Hauler" as insults to those who are supposed to be above menial tasks.

I think bitch is still an acceptable insult since gortoks are fairly widely known to be mangy, foul-tempered and stinky. It would probably be better to use the word 'tok though, just to keep OOC out of your IC.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I've always used it as a ungendered insult via the reasoning that anyone can be a whore, but not everyone can be an effective fighter/crafter/juggler etc.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 08, 2014, 08:08:30 PM
I've always used it as a ungendered insult via the reasoning that anyone can be a whore, but not everyone can be an effective fighter/crafter/juggler etc.

If anyone can be a whore, why do so many end up aides? All levels of fighters/crafters/jugglers/whores/thieves. Smarten up.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 08, 2014, 08:08:30 PM

Anyone can be a Byn runner.

Most of them aren't very effective, except at feeding spiders.

Quote from: ShaLeah on March 08, 2014, 08:26:18 PM
If anyone can be a whore, why do so many end up aides? All levels of fighters/crafters/jugglers/whores/thieves. Smarten up.

PC whores, being played by PCs, are likely more skilled, attractive, and smarter than the vNPCs that make up most of the population. It's an entry level job that requires no inherent skills in and of itself.

Quote from: FreeRangeVestric on March 08, 2014, 08:31:42 PM

Whores don't need to fork over three hundred coins for a whoring license. Maybe. It's never very clear where the line between "tokenless whore" and "betokened courtesan" is to be drawn.

I imagine the survival rate isn't much better for whores over runners, though.

I'm not sure what you all are going on about...

To perhaps clarify what we're talking about: Calling all women whores/sluts is a hangover from real-life sexism. It doesn't really make sense given men are just as likely to be whores or slutty in Zalanthas.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 08, 2014, 09:00:34 PM
I'm not sure what you all are going on about...

To perhaps clarify what we're talking about: Calling all women whores/sluts is a hangover from real-life sexism. It doesn't really make sense given men are just as likely to be whores or slutty in Zalanthas.

Agreed, which is why it's only appropriate if you throw it at everyone.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 08, 2014, 08:37:26 PM
Quote from: ShaLeah on March 08, 2014, 08:26:18 PM

PC whores, being played by PCs, are likely more skilled, attractive, and smarter than the vNPCs that make up most of the population. It's an entry level job that requires no inherent skills in and of itself.

Quote from: FreeRangeVestric on March 08, 2014, 08:31:42 PM

Whores don't need to fork over three hundred coins for a whoring license. Maybe. It's never very clear where the line between "tokenless whore" and "betokened courtesan" is to be drawn.

I imagine the survival rate isn't much better for whores over runners, though.

No, whores need a token PLUS protection. Much more than the runner entry. Not tokened or protected? There's a reason to don't hear about those. Heh.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I was just trying to give a comment so new people would realise this apparantly is a bad thing to do if your being 'sexist'. Personally my PC was an asshole who hated everyone.
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"