On public sparring arenas.

Started by Jingo, February 20, 2014, 10:19:52 PM

February 20, 2014, 10:19:52 PM Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:21:28 PM by Jingo
So when are we getting the Tuluki arena back?

Seriously. It was a godsend for anyone who wanted to train without having to leave the walls and skill up on gortok. It allowed independents to work on skills and it allowed players in dead clans to work on them also. Not to mention it was great atmosphere for the city itself. Now characters that can't get out and poke mobs are left at a huge disadvantage.

Because honestly, most players already know that the difference in power curve for characters that just spar and characters that hunt is already fuckhuege.

Not to mention the loss of RP opportunities. Characters who wouldn't have anything to do with each other could spar in the arena and interact that way instead of with the samey tavern butt scratch emotes.

So really? What's up. It honestly baffles me that it was removed when it added so much to the game.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I think both city states need it.

I think that not having a public place for people to 'spar' makes people more likely to do it in private, in apartments or small, enclosed areas, which seems silly to me, and like it causes RP to suffer.

But that's just my 2 sids.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I agree, it would also be great for different clans to come together and see who's REALLY the toughest! In front of an audience, or not if no one's interested anyway.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I will support public sparring arenas, so long as they follow Thunderdome rules.

There are some IC reasons as to why the Tuluki Arena was closed to public sparring.

I have ideas on how to make more "publically available" options come about, but they would take some work, and might not really solve everyone's issue.

Though I will agree, any training to be done "with friends" ends up being "Well which rich, barely-there playtimes PC has the 2 apartments in the city with rooms designated as training areas?" and "Can I befriend them, and be one of 2 people on the lease to even use it as I need". Some clans work hard to say "If you are in <similar clan A, B, or C> then you can train with our people", but that is hard when you don't know them, and you don't have a place you can just... BE at, waiting for people. You have to contact, hope they're logged in, hope your contact is high enough, hope they're around to let you in.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

meh. this has been discussed on the GDB already, hasn't it?
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I think the Tuluk Arena's public sparring thing was closed due to people just spam sparring each other and not actually using it for its intended purpose (as a way for citizens to prepare for a coming event).

I don't really see the need for public sparring areas though.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I've always HATED that about Tuluk. It made no IC sense to me.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I'm totally against it.

Allow for public Arena fights with real weapons and betting and I'm all fucking for it. Only rule? Mercy on, so the crowd can decide the fate of the fallen.

I im aganst that 2 bc my chars wud no lunger b the most powrefull lulz

On a more serious note, I loved the old Arena.  I trained many future warriors there, and taught anyone who would listen how to kill kryl (instead of being kryl food).  However difficult that character was to play for me, that was one of the few bright spots.  The community feel of it was so very Tuluki, IMO.

Allanak could use a more sinister counterpart, I'm sure.

Quote from: Kismetic on February 21, 2014, 12:21:56 AM

I'm 4 it sos I can skillmax without any repucussion and beat the noobz lulz

^
Equally retarded, useless comments.

Can we -not- have the discussion devolve into "Well codedly speaking, it would be a benefit because..." and talk more about how the  idea could help foster and improve the roleplay and feel of the cities?

Seriously. You people are like 12 year old Youtube Commenters. Be better.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

February 21, 2014, 12:45:03 AM #13 Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:48:52 AM by Jingo
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 21, 2014, 12:33:44 AM
Quote from: Kismetic on February 21, 2014, 12:21:56 AM

I'm 4 it sos I can skillmax without any repucussion and beat the noobz lulz

^
Equally retarded, useless comments.

gortok>raptor>gith>dujat>ggwp

Edit: Seriously. Punish the people that abuse the system. Not the people that enjoy or benefit from it.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Having going out and beating on animals as the only option for independents to train in combat skills seems infinitely more 'game-y' than a public place for sparring, in my humble opinion.

I see how people would probably abuse it, though...So, to compromise...Two men enter, one man leaves?

In Tuluk, no.

I agree with K - it certainly fostered a sense of pride and community in Tuluk. I understand it was taken away for reasons, but hopefully there might be some incentive, some grass roots movement, to get something like that going again.

In Allanak? You could go balls to the wall there with an arena practice area.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I wouldn't mind if it happened on a particular day in the week, and the rest of the time was closed unless a Templar opened it for use. No spam sparring, everyone knows when to go, and spectators can come to the stands knowing a show is probably going to be on.

Still a bit leery about giving a benefit of being in a clan to independants so freely though.

Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: Riev on February 21, 2014, 12:41:00 AM
Seriously. You people are like 12 year old Youtube Commenters. Be better.

Yeah, you're right.  It was more for Jingo's benefit, since we pal around like that, but RGS was welcome to join the fun.

I've made my earnest comments about a great experience I had organizing Arena events for a year and a half of my life, and I can say that while I was there, nobody fucked around.  We roleplayed and trained, and there was much character development, and when I was present, there was NEVER any lame spam sparring (and if you tried, we laughed at you).  I never heard what happened afterwards that led to its closing, but its certainly a shame.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 21, 2014, 12:18:26 AM
I'm totally against it.

Allow for public Arena fights with real weapons and betting and I'm all fucking for it. Only rule? Mercy on, so the crowd can decide the fate of the fallen.

That sounds great.
Its astonishing, this isnt implemented  :o

Quote from: Daar on February 21, 2014, 02:26:01 AM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 21, 2014, 12:18:26 AM
I'm totally against it.

That sounds great.
Its astonishing, this isnt implemented  :o

I fucking love that.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

To the death Arena fights without needing a Templar to be around would be awesome, as long as both parties had to be willing since forcing someone into the Arena is a Templar's job.

Good way to settle grudges or prove who is better, ect.

Walk two rooms out of any city gate and commence your duel there. Bring your friends to watch.

What? It's what I do.

Tuluk still has a big open area of scrub within the Scaien Wall, at least. I guess people could use that? Some enterprising sort might set up a tent or two when their PC is out and about and establish a school (of beating people).

Like FreeRangeVestric said, PCs training with each other is way less gamey than going out to hunt animals. It's probably slower, as far as the code is concerned, since you need to actually arrange things and so on rather than walking ten rooms until you see an animal to spar with hunt, since there's actual interaction with other PCs involved! But, see, there's actual interaction with other PCs involved. Which is generally a good thing.

I will say that I dislike the general mindset behind the removal of the tuluki sparring arena. It pops up more often than just in this instance. 'The arena got abused by people who'd twink incessantly, therefor removal. Rape ended up being something getting people to be treated in ridiculously un-zalanthan ways and increased staff workload immensely, therefor removal.'

I just wish problems were dealt with in a way that didn't involve instant deletion. It's quite a shame.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

The training area was certainly flavorful when it was open, but even though it's closed it is still currently extremely easy to gain access to a sparring area. It's not as if you're forced to kill animals for skills just because the arena's closed off. If you want your PC to train with other people, associate with clans and patrons - most of them have proper training areas. This also has the added benefit of bringing people together for things besides training. But if your PC wants to remain independent, they're not going to have access to perks like organized training unless they arrange it with like-minded people in a more dangerous place.

Even considering that, it's still possible to set up a similar environment again ICly.