Weight range for humans

Started by bmburmas, February 20, 2014, 06:24:22 PM

Hey! I'm new, so sorry if this is a stupid thing to bring up/ this is the wrong place to discuss it, but shouldn't the weight range for humans be significantly widened?
If we take a stone to equal a kilogram, then 6 ten-stone (min. weight) would be ~130 pounds, and 9 ten-stone (max. weight) would be ~200 pounds.
However, any large, well-muscled soldier should weigh well over 200 pounds, and may even weigh closer to 300.
Conversely, no emaciated beggar on the street is going to weigh 130 pounds unless he is very tall. For instance, I am (irl) 67 inches tall, and I only weigh 115 pounds. Granted, I am pretty damn skinny, but I'm not starving, as one would assume many Zalanthans are.
Am I just nitpicking here? I don't know if weight has any coded effects, but if it does, I'd say it'd be pretty useful to implement a wider weight range at chargen.
BURM

I'd not mind it, but then Arm has a massive amount of people at max height/weight with bodybuilder mdescs anyway. I wouldn't mind the weight range broadening, but I doubt it'd change very much.

I still think endurance at least should not be tied to weight/height though.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Yes, please. Current range blows and doesn't take into account fat and skinny people, or even just big, muscular people.

Height ranges don't entirely make sense either.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 20, 2014, 06:49:59 PM
Yes, please. Current range blows and doesn't take into account fat and skinny people, or even just big, muscular people.

Height ranges don't entirely make sense either.

I agree. The smallest you can be, even as a 13 year old, is 60 kilos (132 pounds).

That seems like a pretty sizeable thirteen year old. In fact, isn't 140 pounds for an adult in a pre-industrial civilization considered about average for males?

Zalanthan gravity is different, and Zalanthan bones are denser, as are Zalanthan muscles. On the planet Earth, these heights/weights would certainly be incongruent with the notion of emaciation/obesity but in the world of Zalanthas, they're spot-on exactly how they should be.

Having said that - I for one would like to see one more "10-stone's worth" of weight in each race, so that people can pick the one in the middle. Presently, that isn't possible. You're either 1-2 10-stones on the skinny side, or 1-2 10-stones on the fat side.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I would love a wider range, and being able to pick decimals.  6.2 stones, or whatever.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Lizzie on February 20, 2014, 07:11:31 PM
Zalanthan gravity is different, and Zalanthan bones are denser, as are Zalanthan muscles. On the planet Earth, these heights/weights would certainly be incongruent with the notion of emaciation/obesity but in the world of Zalanthas, they're spot-on exactly how they should be.

Having said that - I for one would like to see one more "10-stone's worth" of weight in each race, so that people can pick the one in the middle. Presently, that isn't possible. You're either 1-2 10-stones on the skinny side, or 1-2 10-stones on the fat side.

If Zalanthan bones and muscles are denser, then it makes even less sense how low the maximum weight for humans is. I fail to grasp your point.
BURM

Quote from: valeria on February 20, 2014, 07:29:01 PM
I would love a wider range, and being able to pick decimals.  6.2 stones, or whatever.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

zalanthan 13 year olds are basically the equivalent of earth 18 year olds. *wink wink*
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Barsook on February 20, 2014, 08:04:02 PM

This. From when I first joined. (less than a month ago)

Yeah, the weight limits don't match up to the height limits very well.

Or alternately, being able to put your weight in pounds or kilograms and letting Ginka do the (relatively simple) math to convert it to stones (even if it becomes a decimal number).

Not stupid. It should be better.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: bmburmas on February 20, 2014, 07:58:50 PM
If Zalanthan bones and muscles are denser, then it makes even less sense how low the maximum weight for humans is. I fail to grasp your point.

You're putting the em-FA-sis on the wrong sill-AH-bull.

Perhaps the problem is there are too many "Ahnold" mdescs out there?  I'd look to the body types of desert-survivors and folks that live off what they can actually scour up.  Perhaps players need to consider that without the mad excess of meat proteins in modern life, there is simply no way for a Zalanthan to sustain a weight over the ranges given or to survive the rigors of a PC lifestyle without at least meeting those minimums.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Yes, again, the real problem lies in how everyone else is playing the game, I almost forgotted
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on February 21, 2014, 10:19:06 AM
Yes, again, the real problem lies in how everyone else is playing the game, I almost forgotted

At which point do you think commenting on other people's RP becomes acceptable? When it's about issues you care about more personally?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I think being able to put in pounds or kilograms and letting Ginka do the math to convert with decimal places to the hundreths place (2 places beyond the decimal point) Would be good. I think widening the range would also be useful. I've always wanted to play a fat person to see how it would go but the only way to do that is to make someone as short as you can and put in the highest range. That just isn't allowing for customization of your character.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

If 6 is the lowest weight in a resource poor world it should be a number in pounds that reflects that.
But what if you're not emaciated, just thin? 7 ten-stone? That's 135. Reasonable for a medium sized American. Downright rich for a 5' Zalanthas. Perfect for Lady Borsail. But for anyone else too much.

Gravity and bone density are incalculable. Don't factor.

This isn't game breaking. I get by very nicely by refusing to think about it. But that doesn't make it not broken. Let's not pretend its a feature. Its an unfortunate holdover from last century. Its just not so ugly it needs to be prioritized
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on February 21, 2014, 10:56:30 AM
This isn't game breaking. I get by very nicely by refusing to think about it. But that doesn't make it not broken. Let's not pretend its a feature. Its an unfortunate holdover from last century. Its just not so ugly it needs to be prioritized

See this is where I actually find myself. 

Emaciatedly thin?  Set your desc, pick the min, and role away.  Who's picking you up to be astonished that you weigh "So much more than I thought you would?" 

Or vice versa, who sees a "Corpulent Fat Slob is standing here" and needs to try and lift that just to make sure they picked max?
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Can we not go under or over the parameters suggested at creation? I've never tried but I've been tempted to several times.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on February 21, 2014, 11:36:27 AM
Can we not go under or over the parameters suggested at creation? I've never tried but I've been tempted to several times.

Don't think so. Then again, most of my characters are somewhere in the 5' range, but when I played a human PC that I would consider really freaking tall - not quite at the racial limit, but getting there - it turned out that there were still even taller humans around, so there must either have been a bunch of people over the limit or sitting right at it.

I would quite like to see the way we select weight to be changed a bit, anyway, to be a bit more granular and a bit wider ranging.

Quote from: ShaLeah on February 21, 2014, 11:36:27 AM

You can, with a spec app.

It just seems a little silly to have to spec app someone short and emaciated.  Which is basically what you would have to do with the current minimum weight compared to the minimum height.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: bmburmas on February 20, 2014, 07:58:50 PM
Quote from: Lizzie on February 20, 2014, 07:11:31 PM

I'll simplify the point then:

Zalanthas is a fantasy world in a fantasy game. As such, it doesn't have to be realistic. It doesn't make a bit of difference how things are in real life, how real-life humans are, what real-life humans weigh - because this isn't real-life.

February 22, 2014, 05:26:58 AM #23 Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:43:13 AM by Qzzrbl
Any fiction that doesn't seem to follow any real rules, made-up or otherwise, is typically bad fiction, in my experience.

I mean, sure.

It's not an absolutely huge deal, the game works as-is, but crapping on the ideas and thoughts of people who enjoy things making sense within a fictional world with "It doesn't even matter, it's a fantasy world!" is kinda poor form. Throwing out statements that would conflict with several other things as fact doesn't do much good either.

Would be better to just let them get their thoughts out there-- after all, any changes that may or may not come of it wouldn't bother you any.

It's just a fantasy world, right?

When someone uses real-world physics and biology to argue for or against MUD mechanics, I'll keep reminding them that MUD mechanics don't have to comply with real-world physics and biology.

You can want to change mechanics because you want more options. That is a sensible argument. You can want to change mechanics because you feel it makes more sense for short characters to be able to be skinny characters, and not only tall characters. That is a sensible argument. But wanting to change mechanics because in real life it isn't possible for people to be this tall/this fat or that short/that skinny or whatever combination - is not a sensible argument.