Newbdom

Started by Bebop, February 16, 2014, 12:52:04 PM

I haven't played in about two years I think.  There's obviously been massive changes to the game and the web page (which looks amazing by the way).  I feel like a newb trying to start again.  If one were to want to give Arm a go again could someone please point me to some key info on how Zalanthas may have changed vastly in my absence that the average plebe would know?

Thanks muchly.

February 16, 2014, 01:02:02 PM #1 Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:05:03 PM by Harmless
Taken from the main website, under the WORLD -> Chronology page:

c.1624 (Year 7 Age 22)

Meetings of the Tuluki Triumvirate result in Hlum nobles being given a vote (as a group) equal to that of any Surif House, to the dismay of many Surif nobles. Many public works are completed over time as Tuluk recovers from the damage of the Deluge, entering a time of relative peace and prosperity. The flow of refugees from Allanak slows to a trickle.
1627 (Year 10 Age 22)

A small army of Allanaki soldiers establish camp at Ten'Sarak. In reaction to the potential threat of an Allanaki move, the Tuluki fortress known as Ayun Iskandir sees increasingly high activity. Tensions and numbers rise on both sides as the two armies set out for Tyn Dashra. After scattered fighting on the borders and steppes, both forces meet to parlay, but neither side surrenders.

The two armies clash in a bloody battle. Suddenly, a great and powerful force was activated from somewhere in Tuluk, matched by a similar force in the Muark lands. Great beams of light spring into the air from each location. As the lights began to surge towards each other, the shadow of a dragon was sighted in the sky, swooping over Allanak, Luir's, towards Tuluk, and around the rest of the Known World before disappearing. After the beams of light connected, the land around Tyn Dashra was torn apart, great earthquakes rumbling outwards.

The volcano near Allanak is no more, with a great swath of scoria plains left in its wake. Tyn Dashra is destroyed--a volcano has erupted from within the rocky steppes. In Tuluk, Isar's Tree appears to be desiccated. Both armies flee the fiery carnage, and a group of the Muark are seen making their way to the gates at Luir's Outpost. Rumors abound that the North Road is no longer passable.

While both armies return to each of their respective city-states claiming victory, the days of sometimes uneasy peace between Allanak and Tuluk are at an end.
1627 (Year 10 Age 22)

Rumors emerge from Allanak that a team of spies in deep cover were successful in plotting sabotage against Tuluki forces during the lead up to the battle at Tyn Dashra, with whispers that the destruction of Isar's Tree might have been one of their prime targets.

In Tuluk, at a public celebration, High Precentor Ardith Lyksae steps down from his position to become Precentor of the Jihaen Order. A relatively unknown Lirathan by the name of Oralia Negean takes the mantle of High Precentor. Later in the proceedings, an Allanaki templar and soldier are executed publicly by the hand of the High Precentor and the Precentor of the Jihaen Order, respectively.

Over the next month, rumors of widespread disappearances spread throughout Tuluk.
1628 (Year 11 Age 22)

In a ruthless act of suppression, the newly ascendant order of Lirathu casts the Hlum nobility as traitors and collaborators. The Templarate proceeds to erase the Grey Hunt from Tuluki society and eradicates the Hlum Nobility, burning the estate to the ground. Those found to "remember" or mention the Hlum or Grey Hunt are dealt with quietly and efficiently by the Templarate.
c.1629 (Year 12 Age 22)

At a Descending Sun event in the Tuluki Arena, Muk Utep makes an appearance. During a short speech, he dissolves the Jihaen and Lirathan Orders, combining the templarate under the rule of the recently promoted High Precentor, Oralia Negean.
1629 (Year 12 Age 22)

Tuluk's authorities begin restricting access to certain areas of the city for the safety of its citizens. Non-citizens are restricted to an area known as the Public Quarter, a region encompassing Freil's Rest, the Red Sun Commons, the Tribal Market, and the holdings of the Great Merchant Houses.

In a separate announcement that emerges from a recent meeting of the Triumvirate, shadow artistry is reformed under a new expansion of Templarate power.

In Tuluk, Shadow Artists have new, better defined roles. See helpfile in link.

The Labyrinth has been remodeled a bit.

The most prominent code changes are quit ooc, which allows you to quit anywhere at any time as long as you provide a reason for why you need to go so quickly; at character creation, you now select your characters ORIGIN and starting city separately, allowing you to have a southern accent in Tuluk (but you won't have inks) or a Northern Accent and Tuluki tattoos (if you select Tuluk origin, you will get the tattoo) and start in Nak, if you so desired.

And there will be other people in here soon chiming in with more. Welcome back!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Thank you.  I didn't even know there was a Chronology now.  Badass.

There are now new extended sub-guilds. They are fucking awesome. That is all.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 16, 2014, 03:54:28 PM
There are now new extended sub-guilds. They are fucking awesome kinda gamebreaking. That is all.

ftfy

Welcome back!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Welcome back.

Extended subguilds don't break the game too much, imho. It is neat that someone other than a guild Merchant can mastercraft now, with extended subguilds.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

YAY! Glad to see you back. :-)
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Welcome back.  As you can see by today's updating, the game is still very much in continuing development.

Extended sub-guilds are fun.  Lots of options, though I do not think anything is "game breaking."  Class balance, other than making something fun and fitting for the setting, has never seemed something we enshrined in the game.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Oh, if not said, no rape plotlines can't be used.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

And now you can bury dead bodies in the sand!

amongst other things...
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

I just got around to reading the chronology.  Holy shit, I really am a newb again.