Inixes are twenty feet tall

Started by Morrolan, February 13, 2014, 10:19:41 PM

This is a code peev for me. Relative height in combat would mean needing long weapons to fight from the back of larger beasts. Otherwise, a relative size check for mounting large animals might be a simpler fix.

>mount inix
You begin climbing the rope ladder.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

> mount inix (after climbing the long rope ladder)

Much like...

> sit at table (drawing out a seat and easing into it)

Or...

> sip ale [swallowing afterwards]

Some things can be assumed to have taken place via code, but we can always emphasize it via emotes. I hear ya though, the sheer size of these beasts does have a bit of a disconnect from how riding them's often rp'ed. Probably stemming from the fact many players forget just how big they are.
Quote from: Nyr on September 30, 2013, 11:33:28 AMYes, killing them is possible, but leaving someone alive can create interesting roleplay.

Actually, I always assumed that inix were twenty feet long, not tall. Code doesn't take length vs height into account when relaying the overall size of a creature.

Yup, pretty sure the height of all animals that walk on four or more legs refers to their length.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

although the helpfile doesn't explicitly describe their length, inix were originally long as is described, with long tails and necks.

the real thing that needs to happen for inix to have appropriate drawbacks is for their food requirement to be coded.

see help inix, and compare to dark sun lore paste below for example:

An inix is a large lizard that falls between kanks and mekillots for sheer size. It weighs about two tons and grows to lengths of 16 feet. The inix's back is protected by a thick shell, while flexible scales cover its underside.
Inixes make spirited mounts. They move at a steady pace for as much as a full day and night without needing rest (movement rate 15), and can reach speeds equivalent to a kank (movement rate 18) for short distances (one mile). They can carry as much as 750 pounds of passengers and cargo. lnix riders often travel in howdahs, small boxlike carriages strapped to the lizard's back. The major drawback to the inix is that it needs large amounts of vegetation and must forage every few hours to maintain its strength. If an inix doesn't get enough to eat, it becomes nearly impossible to control. For this reason, these lizards aren't used on trips where forage land is scarce.
An inix can attack with its tail, slapping for 1d6 points of damage, and deliver a powerful bite (1d8 points of damage) in a single round. On a natural roll of 20 when making a biting attack, the inix grasps any human-sized or smaller target. This target receives an additional 1d20 points of crushing damage.
lnix shells make very good armor (AC 5), while the flexible scales of an inix's underside can be woven into a fine leather mesh (AC 7).
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Crossing the darksun docs with the arm docs and rl parallel. animal...crocs.  The inix cannot be more then 6-8 feet tall. well within the range of normal mounting for pretty much anybody.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

1d20 means a single twenty sided dice right?

how many different dice do you even need for dnd

You need d4 d6 d8 d10 d12 and d20
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Yeah... it's really easy to sit back and poke holes in the actions of characters and players.  It's a lot harder to make a character who, RL years later, people vividly remember, regardless of what imperfections they may have had.

Quote from: X-D on February 14, 2014, 04:11:29 AM

Also a 1d2 (also known as a coin) and a 1d3 (also known as a 1d6 where 1 and 2 count as 1, 3 and 4 count as 2, and 5 and 6 count as 3).

Also d100, which is two d10s, one for 'tens' and one for 'ones'.

Sorry, I had to nerd out there.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Well...somebody had to i suppose...i did leave the others out because they are nit actual die or are civered by the others....always preferred. rolemaster myself cause you only need 2d10.
Lizzie:

Don't you need that those twin d10s, too, that make up 100 if you're the DM?

Edit:NM - bleak said it first.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Ah yes, the GDB: where a discussion about mount height can turn into a discussion about dice.

Moving along, yes, the "height" of non-bipedal animals refers to their length. The actual problem with mounted combat IMO is in the reverse direction. Not so much focused on the half-giant mounted on an inix fighting with a regular sized weapon, but the gortoks that can somehow jump up and bite him on the head. That is something that would be nice to see fixed.

I always think of inix as being like Cold Ones from Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Long, reptile like mounts, as opposed to taller ones.
I have always thought of inix as being bulky but long. I'm not sure how someone could feasibly ride a creature that was twenty feel tall. You'd need a ladder just to get on, and if you got dismounted, that kinda fall could be lethal. Even falling off a horse can kill you, and that's only about a 5-6 foot drop.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Quote from: Cutthroat on February 14, 2014, 06:15:57 AM
Ah yes, the GDB: where a discussion about mount height can turn into a discussion about dice.

Moving along, yes, the "height" of non-bipedal animals refers to their length. The actual problem with mounted combat IMO is in the reverse direction. Not so much focused on the half-giant mounted on an inix fighting with a regular sized weapon, but the gortoks that can somehow jump up and bite him on the head. That is something that would be nice to see fixed.
Yes, certainly. Fix that. A dwarf kicking a giant in the head is ... odd. A giant shouldn't have to fear little people hitting his head with a sword. A spear, on the other hand, makes sense - ah, but this would all require a recode of the combat code.

And I think that would be lovely. Keep it simple, on the face, as it is now, but code it with better checks.

But man - what a project that would be.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Yeah, it would be an extensive change. It would require making height matter a lot more, but also the length of weapons, and specifying how high attackable body parts are on any particular person/creature.

Quote from: Kronibas on February 14, 2014, 04:47:36 AM
Yeah... it's really easy to sit back and poke holes in the actions of characters and players.  It's a lot harder to make a character who, RL years later, people vividly remember, regardless of what imperfections they may have had.

"Pay no attention to what critics say. No statue has ever been put up to a critic." - Jean Sibelius

(though apparently Roger Ebert's hometown is raising moeny to erect a statue of him, so..)

This is always how I imagine inix looking. I can't help it.

Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 14, 2014, 12:54:17 PM
That's a Bahamet.

Pretty sure it's a girl in a skirt.

Man you guys are mean.

Nice Desertman.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 14, 2014, 12:54:17 PM
That's a Bahamet.

Pretty sure that's an ankylosaurus, but I can't help but picture anakore that way.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

February 16, 2014, 11:21:20 AM #23 Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:24:38 AM by Ender
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: BleakOne on February 14, 2014, 05:23:09 AM

Also a 1d2 (also known as a coin) and a 1d3 (also known as a 1d6 where 1 and 2 count as 1, 3 and 4 count as 2, and 5 and 6 count as 3).

Also d100, which is two d10s, one for 'tens' and one for 'ones'.

Sorry, I had to nerd out there.
I have a coin with a 1 and a 2, and a die 3, its a four sided die with the numbers on the face and one side is rounded... I really had to nerd out (and of course I have a hundred sided die, come on)
Quote from: Olgaris
Entering the Labyrinth is definitely not illegal.
Being a desert elf is not illegal.
A Templar can kill you for both.