Share your firewall work arounds

Started by Supified, February 06, 2014, 11:03:49 AM

I thought this might be a fun topic.  The point is to share the ways you've gotten around firewalls to play.  Here are mine

Teamviewer (free app) to remote into home pc telnet out from there
SSH into school network, telnet out from there
iPhone ssh (really annoying to type with)

Currently team viewer is my go to since I'm out of school, though if anyone knows of free sites (like bbs) you can ssh into and telnet out of please share!

I once helped a friend create a SSH Tunnel for them through my own personal computer so they could Telnet into Arm to bypass their school network.  We showed from the same IP for that time, but that is a quick and easy request to staff to let them know.  Been awhile so I don't really remember how I did it.  If I remember correctly I had to create an account on my home computer, setup FreeSSH, had friend use putty into my PC to create the tunnel, and then setup zmud to utilize the tunnel.  It worked well, just had to make sure my computer was up and such for them to be able to play.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on February 06, 2014, 12:29:51 PM
I once helped a friend create a SSH Tunnel for them through my own personal computer so they could Telnet into Arm to bypass their school network.  We showed from the same IP for that time, but that is a quick and easy request to staff to let them know.  Been awhile so I don't really remember how I did it.  If I remember correctly I had to create an account on my home computer, setup FreeSSH, had friend use putty into my PC to create the tunnel, and then setup zmud to utilize the tunnel.  It worked well, just had to make sure my computer was up and such for them to be able to play.

There are different ways to accomplish this depending on your OS, don't forget port forwarding your router.  The hardest part here IMO is getting to your home system through your isp's nat.  It's why I went with Remote Desktop.

Here's something I wrote about this about 10 years ago:

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php?action=printpage;topic=3009.0
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?