Following and Riding

Started by Seeker, February 03, 2014, 12:58:02 AM

When you are following someone and you are mounted, it currently echoes:

QuoteA war beetle walks south, carrying <dude> on its back.
An inix walks south, carrying <a cooler dude> on its back.
You follow <the coolest dude>, and walk south.

Couldn't we have it say:
QuoteYou follow <the coolest dude>, and ride south.
We could use "gallop" for run, if needed.

We could alternately do:
QuoteYou follow <the coolest dude>, and your mount walks south.
if something like that is easier.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Ride south. Gawd yes.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I dig this.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I like this.

I'd like it even more if the change extended beyond the follow code - it would be great to see You ride west if you are traveling when mounted, regardless of if you are following someone or not.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I spent a lot of time as a noob bynner trying to figure out if  I was riding my beetle or not, due to those echoes.
Now I know about score , or is  it stat, and prompts and title mount

I thought when we rode beasts our feet stuck out under the bottom and we ran real fast like the Flintstones?  :P

Jokes aside, this would be a cool feature. I remember it being asked a looooooong time ago, but for some annoying little code thing it couldn 't be done without some major codebase trauma. Or I might be remembering it wrong.

The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Quote from: solera on February 03, 2014, 03:22:18 AM
I spent a lot of time as a noob bynner trying to figure out if  I was riding my beetle or not, due to those echoes.
Now I know about score , or is  it stat, and prompts and title mount

Also if you type in 'mount' it will automatically mount a hitched animal, or tell you 'you are already riding blah-de-blah'
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I dig this for the ease and the less confusion.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I would rather have it put your mount in.  That is "You follow the Dude and walk your beetle south." or "You follow the Dude and run your inix south."  So that you don't lose the walking speed indicator.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on February 03, 2014, 10:30:29 AM
I would rather have it put your mount in.  That is "You follow the Dude and walk your beetle south." or "You follow the Dude and run your inix south."  So that you don't lose the walking speed indicator.

Except this doesn't tell you whether or not you are ON your beetle when you're walking/running it. More confusion for those who forget that they never typed "mount" after the crew rested for the night, or just finished killing gith #72.

I like the "rides south" to designate that you are, in fact, riding.
And walks/runs to designate that you are not.

Also, for those of us who don't use brief room/combat/whatever other things you can do with brief, and doesn't have three lines dedicated just to prompts, that extra verbiage is just that much more spam when it shows up room after room after room.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

When "walking" on your mount - "You ride south."

When "running" on your mount - "You gallop south." (Or "you hurriedly ride south"?)

Quote from: ale six on February 03, 2014, 02:27:14 PM

When "running" on your mount - "You gallop south." (Or "you hurriedly ride south"?)

Gallop or scurry (depending on the mount) would work for running!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I like this solution a lot.  I've been playing for awhile and still run into the same problem (even very recently) that other people have mentioned.  It's difficult to realize immediately that one of us is still on foot and we start getting dragged us across the sands on foot, leaving our mounts behind.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

The dashing, silver-streaked man canters north on a white-maned stallion, his hair whipping back and forth.

Quote from: Ourla on February 03, 2014, 04:21:26 PM

I like this solution a lot.  I've been playing for awhile and still run into the same problem (even very recently) that other people have mentioned.  It's difficult to realize immediately that one of us is still on foot and we start getting dragged us across the sands on foot, leaving our mounts behind.

When "walking" - You ride south.
When "running" - You swiftly ride south.
When "sneaking" - You cautiously ride south.

Quote from: Delirium on February 03, 2014, 06:25:58 PM
Quote from: Ourla on February 03, 2014, 04:21:26 PM

When "walking" - You ride south.
When "running" - You swiftly ride south.
When "sneaking" - You cautiously ride south.
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on February 03, 2014, 02:43:31 AM
Ride south. Gawd yes.
Quote from: BleakOne on February 03, 2014, 03:19:24 AM
I dig this.

+1

Not crazy about scurry or the whole adding on your mount to the already spammy task.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I would be fine with the gallop thing, too.  My only problem with the OP is that I don't want to lose the movement speed indicator.  Because I don't want to end up unwittingly following someone at a "run" speed until my mount is out of stamina, when they forgot to walk again after getting clear of Beasty #5.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Galloping seems like an odd thing for a six-legged beetle to do. Seems like it should be a "galumph" or a "clatter" or a "careen."
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

+all the byns forever~

best verbs i found on thesaurus.com
boogie
burn rubber
hightail it
go like a bat out of hell
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse