Starting Age and effect on skills

Started by Silent Bob, September 05, 2003, 10:36:00 PM

When you make a character it says something like don't start too young or you dont have much of a chance.  But if you start older it helps your skills.  Does it help the number of skills you start out with to use,  the scores of the skills you start out with in the game, or both?  Or did I misunderstand what it was trying to say when I read it.

I think that's an aspect that's either been removed, is yet to be added, or is currently being redone. Not sure, though.

Best not to think about it, really. If you want to play a naive young lad, play a naive young lad. If you want to play a crochety old fart, play a crotchety old fart. Your starting stats and skills aren't horrifically important, and they difference probably won't be too severe anyhow.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Those are roleplaying tips I believe you're referring to, but in character generation it says something to the affect of... "starting age has no effect on skills, yet".

It has an effect on stats, though.  There's also a chance your stats will fluctuate with age if you are logged in when you turn a year older.

Quote from: "Silent Bob"When you make a character it says something like don't start too young or you dont have much of a chance.  But if you start older it helps your skills.  Does it help the number of skills you start out with to use,  the scores of the skills you start out with in the game, or both?  Or did I misunderstand what it was trying to say when I read it.

I don't recall the exact wording Bob, but it says that starting as an adult will help your -stats-, not skills.

I'm not sure how it helps, but here's my guess:

A 12 year old boy character's chance of having a "good" strength will be less than a 25 year old man's character.

This doesn't mean that the 12-year-old -can't- have a good...it just means that the odds against it are increased.

Again, this is only a guess. And for those who say stats don't matter, well, they do. Someone who plans on playing a warrior who is capable of surviving for a long period of time out in the desert will have a very difficult path if he starts out with "poor" endurance or strength.

A mindbender with lousy wisdom might make for interesting roleplay, but not much success.

So yes, stats count. If they didn't, the game would have removed them from the system altogether. And..they would've gotten rid of the reroll option.

Stats don't make the game, and they *probably* won't make or break your character. But they DO count.

It is an RPing suggestion yes, and it also refers to stats.  If you pick a young age, you are likely to get high agility but shafted on the other three stats, and if you pick an old age then you are likely to get a high wisdom but low strength, endurance, and agility.

It has absolutely nothing to do with skills.
Back from a long retirement

One thing I was wondering about this....it's my understanding that if you are logged in for your PC's birthday, it could affect their stats at certain milestones.    

I was wondering if you miss a birthday, does it "catch up" later on future birthdays?

Like, say for the sake of example if your stats change at age 30 and 35.  

You're not on for your PC's 30th bday.    You are on for their 31st bday.   Does it catch you up?    Or on your 35th?   (Does this make any sense?  It does in my head :)   )
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

No.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]