Gag for movement spam while following.

Started by RogueGunslinger, January 25, 2014, 09:08:53 PM

It would be nice, for when lot of people are grouped together, if you didn't have to see all of them moving when you are part of their group.

I dig this for the sake of helping the eyes and the brain to be at ease.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I prefer to see it, because I don't have to scroll back to make sure we didn't lose anyone. Typing "look" is also an option, but I'd have to type look after every room we move to, which would be even worse than it is now.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I have to agree with Lizzie on this. I like being able to see as soon as someone winds up not following and getting lost.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Best of both sides: make it a toggleable option.

Personally I prefer not to see it and keep looking backwards because 19 sdescs looks almost like 20 sdescs anyway.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 25, 2014, 09:08:53 PM
It would be nice, for when lot of people are grouped together, if you didn't have to see all of them moving when you are part of their group.

This would be horrid for any Byn sergeants. Every time a runner gets lost, someone in the group will see them walking in the wrong direction.

With this change, that wouldn't happen. They'd be lost. Newbs would die.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Would be nice, but on the other hand, leading a large group of people should be a difficult thing to do. All those poorly-trained, non-mammalian mounts scuttling up and kicking about dust. It should be confusing to some degree....

but the real reason I think the above is I think it would be pretty difficult to code a slick implementation of this that doesn't sacrifice the safety of watching for strays.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Cutthroat on January 25, 2014, 10:08:04 PM

Or that.
Fredd-

Quote from: Cutthroat on January 25, 2014, 10:08:04 PM

Definitely this.  It would be the best thing since "brief prompt".
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I love brief prompt!

Back on topic.  I found large group desert movement to be hard to focus on as well, especially as a new player hanging on by his teeth.

One problem for me is that the lines wrap due to the details given regarding the mount.  Perhaps if the messages were shorter it would have a more "Diku" feel?

A scrawny blue-eyed man rides in from the west; or

A scrawny blue-eyed man rides in with your group.

This would help me, but perhaps not the people in this thread who have mentioned it as a problem.  Maybe this would be "brief ride" and it could be an additional option to what is being discussed.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Color triggers help a lot with this... as well as learning to skim for important details.

It shouldn't be terribly difficult to gag movement while also throwing an echo to you when someone falls behind.  That seems like a decent compromise.

I still think that if you are in a group and all members are "walking" that the group should never move faster than the slowest mount/footman.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 26, 2014, 04:39:15 PM
I still think that if you are in a group and all members are "walking" that the group should never move faster than the slowest mount/footman.
Fredd-

At least while 'walking'.

January 26, 2014, 05:39:43 PM #15 Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 06:09:02 PM by IntuitiveApathy
Quote from: bcw81 on January 25, 2014, 10:43:07 PM

This would be horrid for any Byn sergeants. Every time a runner gets lost, someone in the group will see them walking in the wrong direction.

I'd love to see this change, but to solve that problem (which would be a very serious one), maybe could just have the game produce echo to the leader and remaining followers that says:

"The rugged, rangy Runnerman has been separated from the group."

Could be dependent on things like scan! or direction sense or ride if riding, or whatever if don't want to make it automagikal.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on January 26, 2014, 05:39:43 PM
Quote from: bcw81 on January 25, 2014, 10:43:07 PM

I'd love to see this change, but to solve that problem (which would be a very serious one), maybe could just have the game produce echo to the leader and remaining followers that says:

"The rugged, rangy Runnerman has been separated from the group."

Could be dependent on things like direction sense or ride if riding, or whatever if don't want to make it automagikal.

I dig this idea.
Fredd-

Quote from: Sephiroto on January 26, 2014, 05:20:37 PM

At least while 'walking'.

Yup, leave the sneaks behind, and >run and >flee self are always there when you want to let the slowpoke be mekbait.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Until you're just walking in the Bazaar, realize you're late for First Horn, and haul ass back to the Compound and suddenly "Someone has been separated from the group" comes up.

Filthy neckers.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Well since we're already 100% theoretical, this command would also know the difference between being shadowed and being followed, and account for that by not echoing.

I like the idea of an echo message indicating when someone is lost in the storm.  If it were a large group of riders riding in formation, /someone/ would notice in all but the absolute worst of storms.

I've tried to quickly count line spaces in large groups moving between rooms, but it gets sorta overwhelming in very large groups.

Well, in a storm, I don't think it should be any more obvious, especially in those "what the fuck" storms that just blind you. If someone gets lost, you DEFINITELY aren't just going to know unless you start screaming and hollering for the person.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

get rope bag

use rope self <target 1> <target 2> <target 3> <target 4>

You create a rope bridge between yourself and the four targets.

No getting lost from the pack in a storm, but higher rate of leader getting "Your mount doesn't move"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

"get rope bag

use rope self <target 1> <target 2> <target 3> <target 4>

You create a rope bridge between yourself and the four targets."

Or dragging an unconscious victim along behind you.

Aside from that awesome idea, I like the idea of having a toggle. It would be useful for really big events especially.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra