Whores. How should you feel about the profession on Zalanthas?

Started by ShaLeah, January 08, 2014, 10:00:51 AM

Maybe there'd be some diversity in whores if the ladies were to hire them occasionally, too. I've seen it happen all of one time so far.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on January 12, 2014, 07:24:25 PM
Maybe there'd be some diversity in whores if the ladies were to hire them occasionally, too. I've seen it happen all of one time so far.
I'm happy to, but my pansexualism manifests enough in my characters I don't know if this actually drives market forces, at all.

Classclown  has the best post of the thread...and correct.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I'd extend this to 'a lot of the sexism some might argue exist in the game would end if women started hitting on people more,' but I somehow believe this'd ending up doing more harm than good.

The best indication for me about how people have a thing about this, is what usually happens when a PC of my all innocuously asks a PC dressed completely inappropriately if they are a whore.  Indignation is the standard response, and it's usually really not warranted.  Half the time I'm asking because my character would be interested in hiring them.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on January 12, 2014, 09:51:04 PM
The best indication for me about how people have a thing about this, is what usually happens when a PC of my all innocuously asks a PC dressed completely inappropriately if they are a whore.  Indignation is the standard response, and it's usually really not warranted.  Half the time I'm asking because my character would be interested in hiring them.

Now this, I've encountered on several occasions. The opposite - people using "whore" as a pejorative - I've also encountered but much less frequently.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Past PCs of mine have tried. I hazily recall one having trouble getting a guy to accept payment.  ???

Quote from: Delusion on January 12, 2014, 10:07:45 PM
Past PCs of mine have tried. I hazily recall one having trouble getting a guy to accept payment.  ???

.. That's hilarious. Who says no to money?

Quote from: Patuk on January 12, 2014, 10:10:34 PM
Quote from: Delusion on January 12, 2014, 10:07:45 PM

.. That's hilarious. Who says no to money?
Someone who isn't legally able to accept payment for services rendered, possibly...

Quote from: Kalai on January 12, 2014, 10:30:22 PM
Someone who isn't legally able to accept payment for services rendered, possibly...

Unless you're asking a noble male to whore for you that shouldn't ever really be the case. Again, this is real world stigma leaking through. I don't care if you're militia, you would consider whoring on the side, especially if the client seemed legit. And none of the sergeants should give a fuck about that. As for non-military clans, only in chosen/noble houses should it make any difference, if at all. Even there, I think people go way out of hand, with the expectations of partisans and the like to be celibate, as if that were ever a thing. It shouldn't be the boss's business who their employees fuck, even if it is for money, male or female.

So, no, I disagree, that isn't a thing, except in flagrantly inappropriate situations.

Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on January 13, 2014, 01:12:00 AM
Quote from: Kalai on January 12, 2014, 10:30:22 PM

Unless you're asking a noble male to whore for you that shouldn't ever really be the case. Again, this is real world stigma leaking through. I don't care if you're militia, you would consider whoring on the side, especially if the client seemed legit. And none of the sergeants should give a fuck about that. As for non-military clans, only in chosen/noble houses should it make any difference, if at all. Even there, I think people go way out of hand, with the expectations of partisans and the like to be celibate, as if that were ever a thing. It shouldn't be the boss's business who their employees fuck, even if it is for money, male or female.

So, no, I disagree, that isn't a thing, except in flagrantly inappropriate situations.

Well, there are (vague) laws regarding who can conduct commerce in cities. I think this is what was being referred to, without getting into things I don't know if it's kosher to talk about on the boards.

Well. That's easily remedied. I didn't think that's what Kalai was mentioning. If that was all it was, then that's appropriate.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEESS!!!!!!!!!!

*shakes fist and leaves the thread*
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

What bothers me are the whores who walk in and sit down at the bar and just sit there. Work for your sid, damn it!

Also, there's a room echo of some dude paying a whore and dragging her into the Gaj's dormitory. If noobs see that, it's no wonder they treat whores with little regard.

Quote from: Classclown on January 13, 2014, 11:24:03 PM
What bothers me are the whores who walk in and sit down at the bar and just sit there. Work for your sid, damn it!

Also, there's a room echo of some dude paying a whore and dragging her into the Gaj's dormitory. If noobs see that, it's no wonder they treat whores with little regard.
Being a whore should never equate to being a an aide. Being a whore should be on level with being a grebber. Throwing a whore over ones shoulder does not seem out of that range.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on January 14, 2014, 01:16:25 AM

Being a whore should never equate to being a an aide. Being a whore should be on level with being a grebber. Throwing a whore over ones shoulder does not seem out of that range.

I agree with that, echoes in the Gaj should reflect Gaj clients. There should be some echoes added to other taverns too, AFAIK no other Nakki bars have them. 
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I think the sort of mentality that's being spoken against here is the other Gaj-residents (low-grade mercenaries, hunters, grebbers, dung-collectors etc.) looking at that sort of whore and turning up their noses and saying, "Well, -I'd- surely never hire someone like that!" and somehow looking down on a person who is essentially their equal as far as social status goes. The thread isn't saying that there shouldn't be low-class whores who are treated in low-class ways.

People should view whores as most other professions are viewed.  There are rich ones, poor ones, classy ones, rode-hard-and-hung-up-wet ones, I mean... They definitely shouldn't be discriminated against too much for the simple fact they're a whore, as that seems very Western.

Playing a whore who doesn't adhere to Western stereotypes would be nice, especially since a lot of those stereotypes are degrading to women, when being a whore doesn't necessarily have to be like that, at least not in Armageddon.

Over a decade ago now, the player of Pearl suggested I watch 'Dangerous Beauty' to get an idea of what being a fancy whore/concubine is like, and the "whores" in the film could (and have in the past, robustly) definitely carry over to Armageddon, though they would be limited in interactions and would, as the past as shown... take an aide job at first, not that there are a lot of options for citybound characters as such.  But smart aides don't stay aides for long, at least, not if they work for smart nobles.

Anyway, Pearl was "just another aide" who made her own noble houses, and she did it - on Armageddon - basically... by being a whore.  concubine, whatever, I realize the distinction but there are fundamental similarities.

I think more players  should be more open to hiring whores or just having sex, male and female,  even if you ftb, if it's what your character would do, you should do it.  I think there -is- a stigma being placed on sex and in turn it gets put on whoring. People just having their chars be a-sexual, without any icly reason for it,  is kind of immersion breaking. Heck, even have it be virtual sex with a virtual person or whatever. Getting a whore should be like getting a haircut, just something people do.  Not everyone who roleplays out sex ig is at home getting off, I'm certainly not. I just think it adds realism to the char I'm playing and it gets hard, no pun intended, coming up with new ways to say the same thing. It's challenging. Also, typos make mudsex hilarious.  :D

Quote from: Classclown on January 14, 2014, 02:57:54 PM
I think more players  should be more open to hiring whores or just having sex, male and female,  even if you ftb, if it's what your character would do, you should do it.  I think there -is- a stigma being placed on sex and in turn it gets put on whoring. People just having their chars be a-sexual, without any icly reason for it,  is kind of immersion breaking. Heck, even have it be virtual sex with a virtual person or whatever. Getting a whore should be like getting a haircut, just something people do.  Not everyone who roleplays out sex ig is at home getting off, I'm certainly not. I just think it adds realism to the char I'm playing and it gets hard, no pun intended, coming up with new ways to say the same thing. It's challenging. Also, typos make mudsex hilarious.  :D
I didn't really have a dog in this fight til now. I think people can play characters who are as sexual or asexual as they like. That has nothing to do with stigma or morality. Different people have different motivations. If players don't want to spend their online time fading to black its not and shouldn't be required. Maybe they get all their faded nookie while they are logged out.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on January 14, 2014, 03:06:01 PM
I think more players  should be more open to hiring whores or just having sex, male and female,  even if you ftb, if it's what your character would do, you should do it.  I think there -is- a stigma being placed on sex and in turn it gets put on whoring. People just having their chars be a-sexual, without any icly reason for it,  is kind of immersion breaking. Heck, even have it be virtual sex with a virtual person or whatever. Getting a whore should be like getting a haircut, just something people do.  Not everyone who roleplays out sex ig is at home getting off, I'm certainly not. I just think it adds realism to the char I'm playing and it gets hard, no pun intended, coming up with new ways to say the same thing. It's challenging. Also, typos make mudsex hilarious.  :D
I didn't really have a dog in this fight til now. I think people can play characters who are as sexual or asexual as they like. That has nothing to do with stigma or morality. Different people have different motivations. If players don't want to spend their online time fading to black its not and shouldn't be required. Maybe they get all their faded nookie while they are logged out.

I have to agree that asexual characters throw me off, but that's because I have never, ever, ever met an asexual person. Maybe CC thinks they're asexual because they don't want to roleplay the sex with graphic detail? I dunno. I -do- know that when I play asexual (which are really just sexually dormant) people I get junior high school giddy at how much people try to turn her out.  However! I am 100% for playing asexual character or normal or hyper... whatever you wish, that's the whole point of roleplay. No, not the sex you tool, the making up an alternate reality you wanna make.

Getting a whore should be like getting a haircut, just something people do.
Quote from: Kronibas on January 14, 2014, 02:45:05 AM
People should view whores as most other professions are viewed.  There are rich ones, poor ones, classy ones, rode-hard-and-hung-up-wet ones, I mean... They definitely shouldn't be discriminated against too much for the simple fact they're a whore, as that seems very Western.
Quote from: Hicksville Hoochie on January 10, 2014, 05:17:37 PM
There is no stigma attached to the profession of whoring itself.

Get back on topic!

Quote from: KankWhisperer on January 08, 2014, 09:57:45 PM
I'll have to say I sort of agree with ShaLeah which makes me die a little on the inside.

* ShaLeah flicks the reins, guiding the thread towards the Shield Wall.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I had a character who had a virtual boyfriend. It was how I figured was the most appropriate way to RP a character who didn't have any special sexual deviancies, while I, the player, was able to avoid the whole "sexual relationship" drama that I really don't enjoy RPing.

Problem was, everyone wanted to meet my character's boyfriend, wanted to know why I never brought him around, who was he, who did he work for, why no one ever met him - this went on for many RL weeks, and was as tiring and frustrating as the RPed PC-PC "sexual relationships" I was trying to avoid.

I can only imagine that if my PC is getting jiggy with a virtual whore, people are going to start wondering who this whore is, that I'm exclusive with them - or why my character has never been known to hire a PC whore - has she been lying all this time? And then all my login time will consist of my RPing the plotline of "my PC who has a pretend whore and why and what are we going to do about it" instead of anything else, which would be just as frustrating as spending all my time RPing why no one has met my character's virtual boyfriend.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think more players  should be more open to hiring whores or just having sex, male and female, even if you ftb, if it's what your character would do, you should do it. I think there -is- a stigma being placed on sex and in turn it gets put on whoring. People just having their chars be a-sexual, without any icly reason for it,  is kind of immersion breaking. Heck, even have it be virtual sex with a virtual person or whatever. Getting a whore should be like getting a haircut, just something people do.  Not everyone who roleplays out sex ig is at home getting off, I'm certainly not. I just think it adds realism to the char I'm playing and it gets hard, no pun intended, coming up with new ways to say the same thing. It's challenging. Also, typos make mudsex hilarious.  :D

I think my post took into account people who don't like to rp sex or relationships ig or if their pcs are asexual for some ic reason. If you log out, maybe pretend to grab a virtual whore/manwhore and drag them off with you, if it's something your pc would do.

I think this is on topic, because I think it also affects how whoring is treated ig, when people who don't want to rp sex or who are uncomfortable  with it look  down on people who rp whores or the whores ig.

My question is this, how can you roleplay a three dimensional person without sex being at least implied in their overall development,  even if they are asexual, there must be some reason, even so boring as they just never wanted it?

ETA:Also, people not acknowledging vnpcs is kind of creepy and probably off-topic. Unless someone is claiming to be lovers with the Highlord or something, it's normally accepted as real. The only confusions I could see, is if your character is icly lying, which would be another story.