dusty armor (not clean)

Started by redkank, January 06, 2014, 08:05:27 PM

Should give you a boost to outdoor hide.  Being covered with dust.  Would reduce glare of your armor, making you harder to see as well as blend in with everything else.

I like this idea. Simple and realistic. Just so long as it didn't add too much of a boost.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 06, 2014, 08:12:27 PM
I like this idea. Simple and realistic. Just so long as it didn't add too much of a boost.

+1
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

In the battle of scan vs. hide, hide definitely doesn't need any additional bonuses.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Thanks Synthesis... can someone go ahead and figure out a way to let each armor slot give bonuses to scan, so there is a fighting chance against spotting folks stacking every armor slot with +hide/sneak gear?

a set of grey sandcloth sleeves covered in thousands of eyes is here

an infrared, desert-camouflaged FLIR camera is here (wearable every slot, even fingers and ears)

Camouflage is rather low tech but effective, however countering it isn't.  That's reality.

That's true. I see the other side's point, however. In that reality isn't camouflage=cloaking devices.

Quote from: redkank on January 07, 2014, 02:45:20 AM
Camouflage is rather low tech but effective, however countering it isn't.  That's reality.

Yeah.  And I like your idea, don't get me wrong.  It makes sense.  It is just frustrating to have maxed scan that can be circumvented by readily accessible gear.

January 07, 2014, 09:11:58 AM #8 Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:55:22 PM by Harmless
I think being coated in dust all the time should raise the risk of certain things. <redacted and submitted as an idea in game.>
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

You feel a tiny, sharp bite on your left testicle.

You feel a tiny, sharp bite on the underside of your left boob.

Quote from: Harmless on January 07, 2014, 09:11:58 AM
I think being coated in dust all the time should raise the risk of certain things. Like kank fleas or sand rot.

Maybe after a certain time period that can be an issues.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

All that sneezing, coughing and wheezing would probably negate any camouflage bonuses you'd get out of dust..

Also, what sort of glare are we talking about here? It's not like we're all walking around the grasslands wearing our steel breastplates and laminated helmets..
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

You'd also have to look at the fact that dust covering you would also weigh you down. I'm not sure if that's even coded in or not. So how effective would sneak be with the increased weight?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

It helps the govanator with his hiding! I feel like I am going to see a hundred people with grass glued to their faces and armor now... Haha
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on January 07, 2014, 02:18:57 PM
You'd also have to look at the fact that dust covering you would also weigh you down. I'm not sure if that's even coded in or not. So how effective would sneak be with the increased weight?

This is fucking hilarious.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 06, 2014, 11:04:24 PM
In the battle of scan vs. hide, hide definitely doesn't need any additional bonuses.

Then make it a penalty for armour that isn't covered in dust.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on January 07, 2014, 08:33:08 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on January 06, 2014, 11:04:24 PM

Then make it a penalty for armour that isn't covered in dust.

The angry militia sergeant says, in southern-accented sirihish:
       "Stop all that sneaking around, Recruit! Ain't none like it too much, and it makes us look bad!"

The angry militia sergeant dusts off the snot-nosed secret-assassin Recruit.

The snot-nosed secret-assassin Recruit says, in whiney sirihish:
       "Nooo! My dust! My friendssssss!"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I'm in favor of having + to hide but not sneak.  In general, I think that hiding should be easier in the game, but moving stealthily should not.

Yeah, you shouldn't need a stealth skill to crouch down under a podium and blow the militia lieutenant in front of a crowd.

Runs off to watch some Eighties movies and try to relax before bed.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.