Smelling of Spice

Started by Suhuy, December 23, 2013, 02:07:58 PM

I've always felt the danger of spice possession/use in Allanak should be played out more. We all know the sad truth that code is generally the best way to ensure RP. Without discussing the IC specifics of the present sniff command, it might help this predicament if after someone smokes it's abundantly clear they'd been smoking spice. Much as in the real world a marijuana smoker distinctly smells of marijuana. Something along the lines of...

>sniff elf
He smells of spice of some sort.

What I'm suggesting specifically here is an emphasis on and inclusion of the word spice itself, rather than the way the code may or may not currently function.

This would give templars the leeway to incriminate or otherwise bully the "pot smokers" of Allanak and it would give characters a reason to be on edge about spice consumption. I think with the present conditions it's easy to get blasé about anything involving spice once the city gates are passed, such that no one would think twice about casually discussing the narcotic at a tavern bar. This is a world where our characters may have even been witness to a templar conducting a random backpack search on an elf and, finding only a grain of spice on the subject, sends him to his death in the arena. It would be fun if the substance really were treated with that level of danger involved. Some might disagree and say it's already like that, but I think specifying spice in the sniff command would help amplify the actual state of spice in Allanak.

I dig this for the realism and also for the RP of Allanak.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Suhuy on December 23, 2013, 02:07:58 PM
>sniff elf
He smells of spice of some sort.

It's been a while since any PC of mine has smoked spice, but I seem to recall each spice type had it's own scent that gets flagged to your PC after even one hit. So basically, if you go around sniffing people, if they've smoked spice you'll get an echo that could either be spice or perfume.

I think if you'd smoked a lot it should pop up in your tdesc automatically.

All the spice have their own particular scents, so what you're asking for is pretty much already present. So is the "leeway" for Templars.

However, as staff has said before, spice is not analogous to real-world drugs, so please don't try to assume, or base assumptions, on such a comparison.

Spice is not like any drug on Earth.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,42838.0.html
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

On the other hand, since all of Tektolnes' good little citizens absolutely do not ever ever smoke, you could just as easily make the argument that some Allanakis wouldn't even KNOW what spice smoke smells like. I think the existing messages are fine.

Quote from: ale six on December 23, 2013, 03:57:28 PM
On the other hand, since all of Tektolnes' good little citizens absolutely do not ever ever smoke, you could just as easily make the argument that some Allanakis wouldn't even KNOW what spice smoke smells like. I think the existing messages are fine.

Though I'm betting the Templars DO know what it smells like. Because, they know everything.... Right?

Yup, because of magik.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

That's not why.

Sniff Templar. He smells likecAmesterdam in 1992.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Why does a Templar know what spice smells, tastes and looks like?

It the war on spice, knowledge is power. One must equipment themselves (acquaint) with knowledge to face that which they stand against.

Good words lord templar, now pass that tube so we can get to training against that which we stand against.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Also, Templars smoke a lot.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

And then some clever merchant makes perfume that smells like spice, which, being a cheap way to smell better than dust and sweat, quickly becomes a huge thing.

Suddenly, it's harder to tell the spice-addict from someone who doesn't want to smell like they slept on the floor of the Gaj.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on December 24, 2013, 04:12:32 PM
Suddenly, it's harder to tell the spice-addict from someone who doesn't want to smell like they slept on the floor of the Gaj.

I highly doubt there is anything short of gith stink that would cover that smell up.

Quote from: A Large Bag on December 24, 2013, 05:36:45 PM
Quote from: Fujikoma on December 24, 2013, 04:12:32 PM

I highly doubt there is anything short of gith stink that would cover that smell up.

Gith stink: The new perfume to attract that special dune-travelling someone. Warning: The gith courtship rituals involve shooting arrows at the object of your affection, always wear protection, and please, use mul mix.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Very poor, low-wealth cultures with very low standards of living typically care very little about how anyone smells.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.