Pregnancy

Started by Yummri, December 19, 2013, 11:21:00 AM

I was randomly thinking, and I remember seeing someplace in a thread that admins had made people pregnant for not taking Mulmix and it got me wondering.

How long does that last here? If you went with the standard 9 months...that's 3 years in game. So that is my question.
How long does each race have before they give birth to babies? If that is something you want to roleplay

If you consider the year in Zalanthas to be the same length as a standard earth year (backed up by how aging works similarly between Zalanthas and Earth), we can say that a pregnancy on Earth is 3/4 of a year (9 months).

3/4 of a year in Zalanthas would be two and a quarter Zalanthan months. Or in other words, about 5 RL weeks. That is how long a normal pregnancy would last.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,35066.0.html

You really should try the search function. I doubt a screen-reader is going to impede it very much.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

I did the math on this once back when I was in... Math class.

If you were to calculate from a week to week conversion, it would be around 34 RL days.

If you want to calculate it from a day to day (Or maybe it was hour to hour, can't remember, I'm pulling this info out of the back of my head) conversion it would be around 83 RL days.

Most people go with the week to week.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

It's however long you interpret 9 months to be. Just make sure you -always- have twins. That's like some kind of rule or something  ::)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Cutthroat on December 19, 2013, 11:35:46 AM
If you consider the year in Zalanthas to be the same length as a standard earth year (backed up by how aging works similarly between Zalanthas and Earth), we can say that a pregnancy on Earth is 3/4 of a year (9 months).

3/4 of a year in Zalanthas would be two and a quarter Zalanthan months. Or in other words, about 5 RL weeks. That is how long a normal pregnancy would last.

This has always made the most sense to me. The calender is wonky relative to Earth's, but the year seems to be the closest reference point we have.

Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

On the bright side, if you manage to survive the 83 days and then child birth itself you only have to keep going for another RL year and eight months until you can option for your invisible baby child to be played by a real life PC . . .  Given that its a human baby
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

My favorite phenomenon in regards to getting pregnant in game.

Talia says, "Oh, Amos and I , we are so in love. I am so pregnant and happy and we will have such a happy family."

One RL week later....

Talia says, "Oh, I'm not pregnant anymore. Amos died hunting and I conveniently lost the baby leaving me open to find someone else to get pregnant by and continue to try and have that happy IC family."

Nothing says consequences like convenient naturally induced abortions at a whim depending on if your mate survives.

I can think of four times I have seen this exact thing happen in exactly this way.

There are probably more instances, these are just the ones I can remember the names of the PC's involved that I witnessed first hand.

You know what they say, once you kank a hunter, you're a single mom.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on December 19, 2013, 02:56:16 PM

I like to think this is true even if you're male.

Quote from: Narf on December 19, 2013, 03:10:27 PM

Except the Zalanthan equal rights have yet to hit genetics, and men are still unable to bare children, hence on one hand not quite in keeping with the meaning. However, if the child was born already, then it could be a true idiom.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: Narf on December 19, 2013, 03:10:27 PM

Wieners don't work that way.

Nothing says consequences like convenient naturally induced abortions at a whim depending on if your mate survives.

I can think of four times I have seen this exact thing happen in exactly this way.

There are probably more instances, these are just the ones I can remember the names of the PC's involved that I witnessed first hand.

I think it is important to keep in mind what the dangers of childbirth are in the real world.  For instance, for a woman in Chad the lifetime risk of dying in childbirth is 1 in 15As I've pointed out previously, the risk of other terrible complications is much higher.  Again, childbirth in Zalanthas doesn't need to be as dangerous as it is in modern day Chad, but the RL facts are an important frame of reference.
"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

- some dude

Quote from: Sardaukar on December 19, 2013, 03:23:27 PM

I think it is important to keep in mind what the dangers of childbirth are in the real world.  For instance, for a woman in Chad the lifetime risk of dying in childbirth is 1 in 15As I've pointed out previously, the risk of other terrible complications is much higher.  Again, childbirth in Zalanthas doesn't need to be as dangerous as it is in modern day Chad, but the RL facts are an important frame of reference.

Oh I'm sure they are capable of making perfect IC sense of it.

But the OOC motivation is what I'm making fun of here.

Quote from: Desertman on December 19, 2013, 03:26:11 PM

I believe I agree with you.  The axe that I'm grinding here is that I think in the gritty hardscrabble world of Zalanthas that childbirth should IC'ly include some dread and perceived danger for those involved.
"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

- some dude

Quote from: Sardaukar on December 19, 2013, 03:31:58 PM

I believe I agree with you.  The axe that I'm grinding here is that I think in the gritty hardscrabble world of Zalanthas that childbirth should IC'ly include some dread and perceived danger for those involved.

I completely agree.

I would love to see some sort of pregnancy code actually.

I would also like to see a random pregnancy code that was affected by random factors and the use of mul mix.

Never going to happen, but, I would like it.

Quote from: Desertman on December 19, 2013, 03:34:32 PM
Quote from: Sardaukar on December 19, 2013, 03:31:58 PM

I completely agree.

I would love to see some sort of pregnancy code actually.

I would also like to see a random pregnancy code that was affected by random factors and the use of mul mix.

Never going to happen, but, I would like it.

Desertman, when your pregnancy code goes in, I'm going to roll a rinthi merchant who sells rusty bone coathangers. I'll make millions of sids.

Quote from: ale six on December 19, 2013, 03:43:22 PM

Desertman, when your pregnancy code goes in, I'm going to roll a rinthi merchant who sells rusty bone coathangers. I'll make millions of sids.

For some reason all I could think was, "How will she get the bone to rust?"

Then the abortion joke hit me.

Allmychuckles.jpg  :)

Dman cracks me up in these threads.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Sigh, I am too late.
I wanted to point out to Yummri (making some assumptions) that even with the total equality on Zalanthas and the fantasy setting with magic, men still can't have babies.

I am too late.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Lizzie on December 19, 2013, 01:36:04 PM
It's however long you interpret 9 months to be. Just make sure you -always- have twins. That's like some kind of rule or something  ::)

Yes, have twins so you can sell one to afford having the other!

But seriously. Why always twins? Masochists.

Evolutionary advantage due to high mortality rate in childbirth?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

The statistics for this.

100 billion people born.
50 billion children have died.
Pre-birth deaths are at 100 to 300 billion.

1/2 died as children
3/4 died pre-birth

http://www.gspaulscienceofreligion.com/

I totally micromanage my characters babies.

First I decide if they're barren. Then if they want any and to what degree. Then if they kank I roll, every.... single.... time. Mulmix or not. Then if it's a yay I roll for multiple, then gender, then viability, then miscarriage likelihood, etc, etc, etc.

My chars have aborted, lied about the baby daddy, killed the infants, sold them, abandoned them. I have never taken a baby into the pub though. THAT somehow always annoys me. Murdering them seems so much more appropriate. :)
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Yummri would like to point out that they were just curious and know babies can't be delivered by men even with magic.

You need to wait for the erdlu to bring it silly.

can't they just get pregnant and poop it out? everybody's happy and they get to keep their wiener.