Fight or Flight - Flee

Started by Yummri, December 13, 2013, 08:55:52 PM

So, I was reading through the docs and I realized this(probably too late), that not everyone gets the coded skill Flee. And I was wondering why.

Surely everyone should get this as a skill right? Maybe never as good as say a warrior or a Ranger who learn to do this tactically etc. But the basic principle of fight or flight applies to every living creature. A merchant should know how to run away  or at least try too, a burglar or assassin or just some random beggar in the street should know how to run away?

Couldn't everyone get this to some degree, even if they could never "master" the art of retreat. But they sure know how to tuck tail and run if they have too?

I'm interested in peoples thoughts on this. I'd assume it may of come up before though or what the reason for not having it lie this is.

Not having the flee skill doesn't keep people from using the command. They'll just be worse at it.

Flee as a skill is more of a 'retreat' thing; it means knowing where you're running off to and not just going OH MY GOD SHARP THINGS RUNNN immediately.

So yes, everyone can run away. The lack of a flee skill merely means no merchant will progress to the 'falling back to the brush' point others will.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Its not just merchants though. its everyone. Far as I can tell eve guilds like assassins or thieves don't get it. And those are the people who would but time into running away from an area especially with law enforcement after them. Though I could of misunderstood the documentation when ready it. They might get it. It isn't always clear to me.

Quote from: Yummri on December 13, 2013, 09:22:12 PM
Its not just merchants though. its everyone. Far as I can tell eve guilds like assassins or thieves don't get it. And those are the people who would but time into running away from an area especially with law enforcement after them. Though I could of misunderstood the documentation when ready it. They might get it. It isn't always clear to me.

Some small skill with weapons is also a pickpocket's province, as well
as how to beat a hasty retreat

Highly skilled assassins tend to become more akin to warriors late in
their careers. Having mastered the basic skills, an assassin will often
begin to learn a mastery of parrying enemy attacks, as well as how to
more easily get out of combat.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."