Stun

Started by Silent Bob, September 02, 2003, 10:59:49 PM

If it gives you a message that says the blow was deflected why does stun do so much?  I mean if it was deflected than why would it hurt so much?  Is it not stupid to do that?  Why if it does 0 in damage would it do so much stun and then it makes me ask why weapon damage does not get any stun damage when it is done.  Are you saying that a slap on your armour is more in stun than a sword through it?  Thats silly.

The way weapons are set up is that they do stun and they do damage.  Some weapons do more stun then damage, others do more damage then stun.  Your fists for instance are almost purely stun damage.  The messages you get about hitting are describing damage, not stun.  So, fists might nick someone's head, but end up doing 50 stun.  It is just a quirk in the code.  If you take a hit that does a lot of stun damage, but it gives you a weak hitting message, it isn't saying that you saved yourself, just that the majority of the damage done wasn't the bleeding kind.  In other words, the hammer to your head might not have caused any bumps or bruises because your helmet saved you, but it sure as hell shook your brains up a little and you are seeing stars.

Ok but thats unrealisic is it not?  Imagine those boxers you see in the ring.  If they get hit in the head and it hurts they sure get stunned but you see blood and bruises don't you?  So if Mike Tyson in his prime hit you once in the head it would leave a giant bruise welt and some blood would splater as you were knocked out would it not?  Its unrealistic to think weapons do no stun and hand hits do so little damage.  It should be that weapons hit should do stun perhaps double the weapon damage and open hand stun hit should do less stun and more damage.  Stun should also recover much faster than HP.  It takes a long time for a person to heal cuts and bruises but when he wakes up after a few moments he just does not remember what hit him.

If that does not make sense to you imagine falling into a pit of stakes.  The stakes dont kill you its the bleeding to death while stunned that does.

You shoot the lion.  He falls down and bleeds to death.  You don't walk up until it is over he will still kill you with paws if you get close.  He is stunned and is in shock waiting to die.

Some things should do more stun than damage and some more damage than stun, but both happen at the same time and thats what I think is wrong.

Taking a large HP damage should shock you and make you check against endurance to be stunned.  You can be stunned and conscious as well.  Ever see a person who was tackled and after the 350lb lineman gets off them they grunt and lay there going oh my, oh my God, they are stunned but still conscious.

Stun and damage go hand in hand they are, or should be, connected.  Stun should be no more than 5 times the damage even with a knock out blow to the head and high damages should be able to stun or shock you.

A strong hit from a weapon, like a sword, will cause stun damage. Sometimes a signifcant amount.

Certain weapons, warhammers and clubs for instance, do a lot of stun damage, along with their health damage

Fists cause minor health damage when you hit some one. It's perfectly likely for a strong character to knock out and kill a weaker one with his fists alone.

Hope that helps.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Let us spell it out more realisticly in Real Life circumstances.

If you are stabbed with a dagger, you bleed to death in unchecked. You are not stunned, you simply bleed to death. At a point very close to dying, you become immobile sometimes, but not even then all the time.

If you are hit with a baseball bat in the head, you can be knocked out, but often, you can get back up after you wake and go on about your business, howbeit with a pounding head ache.

This is RL situations. Let us analyze those situations in regards to Armageddon.

Quote from: "I"If you are stabbed with a dagger, you bleed to death in unchecked. You are not stunned, you simply bleed to death. At a point very close to dying, you become immobile sometimes, but not even then all the time.
If you are stabbed with a dagger, it will not cause you to lose function with your body, it will simply be a very deep wound that takes a goodly amount of you HP away, rather than 'rattling' your brains, which is what stun is considered to do.

Quote from: "I"If you are hit with a baseball bat in the head, you can be knocked out, but often, you can get back up after you wake and go on about your business, howbeit with a pounding head ache.
If someone hits you with a blunt object, you will not suffer as much HP damage as you might had that been a sword or knife or axe, but it will certianly 'rattle' your brains, causing you to become disoriented, which is what is considered as stun.

This makes it clearer, I hope. I consider Armageddon's stun code to be very realistic, in reality. It functions almost presisely as it does in the RW, making it easier to proceed safely with combat when combined with the mercy code.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "Silent Bob"Ok but thats unrealisic is it not?  Imagine those boxers you see in the ring.  If they get hit in the head and it hurts they sure get stunned but you see blood and bruises don't you?  So if Mike Tyson in his prime hit you once in the head it would leave a giant bruise welt and some blood would splater as you were knocked out would it not?  Its unrealistic to think weapons do no stun and hand hits do so little damage.  It should be that weapons hit should do stun perhaps double the weapon damage and open hand stun hit should do less stun and more damage.  Stun should also recover much faster than HP.  It takes a long time for a person to heal cuts and bruises but when he wakes up after a few moments he just does not remember what hit him.

I think your example perfectly illustrates why things are good as they are.  Two boxers beat the hell out of each other for a few rounds, then one goes down.  The guy who goes down rarely has much in the way of real damage.  He has a bloody lip and perhaps a swollen eye.  He has no cuts through muscle, no cuts through the bone, no one bothers to give him a blood transfusion because he hasn't lost enough.  He might be a little uglier then he was before, and he might have some nasty looking superficial wounds like a swollen eye, but he has no real wounds that you can't just put a band aid or ice pack over.  In Armageddon terms, the guy has had at most 10 points of damage done after a few rounds.  He is however out cold.  He got all his stun knocked out and finally got knocked out.  RL boxing is a perfect example of where almost no real (short term) damage is done, but the guy has all of his stun point knocked away.

QuoteIf it gives you a message that says the blow was deflected why does stun do so much? I mean if it was deflected than why would it hurt so much?

This is how I see it. HPs are acctual damage, while stun is damage that makes the body not work properly.

So, if you leggings deflect the sword slash, you didn't get cut, but it still was probably a fairly solid connection that left the leg sore.

Creeper
21sters Unite!