Psionics and Social Views

Started by thewolfen3, November 18, 2013, 04:23:14 PM

What is your reference point?
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

A good reference point would be that only humans can be mindbenders, but every race can use expel and barrier.

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on May 11, 2014, 03:14:20 PM
What is your reference point?

I highly suggest you read through this, it will help you understand the world you're playing in.

http://www.armageddon.org/intro/about.php

Don't forget to keep reading through, as a lot of information is contained on that website.

Feel free to pm/IM me if you have more questions.

dOHOHOHOHO

YOU REALLY GOT HIM THERE, AHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!

I just pointed him to the helpfiles and themefiles, where it is clearly laid out that every race in the world has psionic powers, and they're completely mundane and then offered to help him out if he needed more help.  There's no need to be a jerk about it.

Quote from: maxid on May 11, 2014, 04:15:04 PM
I just pointed him to the helpfiles and themefiles, where it is clearly laid out that every race in the world has psionic powers, and they're completely mundane and then offered to help him out if he needed more help.  There's no need to be a jerk about it.

The Lonely Hunter is a veteran player. I think that's why your post was perceived to be a bit on the condescending side (though it is very clear that you didn't intend it that way).

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on May 11, 2014, 04:18:39 PM

The Lonely Hunter is a veteran player. I think that's why your post was perceived to be a bit on the condescending side (though it is very clear that you didn't intend it that way).

Ah, I've never heard of a veteran player who was unfamiliar with the fact that the basic 3 psionic powers are used by literally everyone  ???.  Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as a jerk, it just.. I mean how do you not understand that?

Quote from: maxid on May 11, 2014, 02:46:27 PM
accusing everyone who pees of being a vivaduan because they're 'making water'. 
Random urge.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

FWIW Maxid, I didn't think you were being a jerk. I thought it was cute :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I just pointed him to the helpfiles and themefiles, where it is clearly laid out that every race in the world has psionic powers, and they're completely mundane and then offered to help him out if he needed more help.  There's no need to be a jerk about it.

The problem is it's a rather moot point without being coupled with the idea that only humans are mindbenders. Which I'm sure not everyone knows. Add with it the general condescending manner you had... It's easy to see how you could be misinterpreted if you're really not being-

Quote from: maxid on May 11, 2014, 04:31:02 PM

Ah, I've never heard of a veteran player who was unfamiliar with the fact that the basic 3 psionic powers are used by literally everyone  ???.  Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as a jerk, it just.. I mean how do you not understand that?

Nope, definitely being snide...

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 11, 2014, 05:06:04 PM
I just pointed him to the helpfiles and themefiles, where it is clearly laid out that every race in the world has psionic powers, and they're completely mundane and then offered to help him out if he needed more help.  There's no need to be a jerk about it.

The problem is it's a rather moot point without being coupled with the idea that only humans are mindbenders. Which I'm sure not everyone knows. Add with it the general condescending manner you had... It's easy to see how you could be misinterpreted if you're really not being-

Quote from: maxid on May 11, 2014, 04:31:02 PM

Ah, I've never heard of a veteran player who was unfamiliar with the fact that the basic 3 psionic powers are used by literally everyone  ???.  Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as a jerk, it just.. I mean how do you not understand that?

Nope, definitely being snide...

I actually wasn't, and even apologized for it.  Please quit trolling the thread, it was a misunderstanding. 

Instead of being defensive and changing focus, I am still looking for a reference from you which says anything regarding expel being so common. The files refer to contact and barrier being common, not expel. I haven't come across one at least but please, do share if you have found one. It is possible I have overlooked it, people make mistakes. For example just last week I thought that I was wrong but it turns out that I wasn't.

I have come across several references which mention how hated and feared psions are and based on the game world I think that it is safer to assume that showing too much interested in psionic abilities and their development could likely get you killed.

Not all humans have the ability to expel someone from their mind, I'm not sure why it keeps being referred to as such. From a code perspective perhaps it is eventually possible but not every human is born with it or will ever develop it. Based on the fear associated with advanced forms of the way I believe that it would be safe to assume that those that do have the ability are viewed as a little weird and perhaps even suspicious.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

-Rathustra

May 11, 2014, 07:27:15 PM #37 Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:29:00 PM by Riya OniSenshi
If nothing else, staff have stated it here: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,46959.msg803302.html#msg803302
and here: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,27455.0.html

By virtue of expel having its own help file on the website, like contact, barrier and psi, it is reasonable to assume it is common to the game's world.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

May 11, 2014, 07:35:48 PM #38 Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:40:44 PM by The Lonely Hunter
The only part of those two posts that may be relevant is, "You can do one of three things as a normal, hum-drum Zalanthan:".

So, it is established that -some- normal Zalanthans can use the expel ability. But my point remains the same; not everyone has the ability to use this. Those that can use the ability may be viewed as a little off...like a contortionist maybe?

I also stand by my observation that having too much of an interest in honing and developing your ability with the way may raise suspicion, no matter how unfounded.

Most sentient creatures have the abilities to send messages through the 'Way,' as is called the psionic ether, and the ability to form a 'barrier' around their minds so that no one can send them messages, or enter their minds.
-Ginka

-Rathustra

I don't think you bothered to read the page on the second link where Tiernan quotes himself from the discussion thread for that change (http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,27454.0.html):

QuoteIC, the expel ability should considered as common as contact and barrier. It's a basic component of the Way and has naturally developed and evolved. It isn't some grand new phenomenon that has suddenly expanded the mental abilities of the general populace. It's always been this way. I also think it's safe to say that, in general, it would be considered rude to get thrown out of someone else's mind, as it is a particularly aggressive and unpleasant experience. However, I will leave that up to you folks to decide how your character feels about being shoved out.

I sure didn't see that. Sorry and thanks for pointing it out!

I also missed where it is now a starting ability for everyone; something inherent that all people have.

Thats what I get for using the game documentation instead of the GDB as a source!
-Ginka

-Rathustra

Now you're just being willfully contrary.

If you think the docs and staff and the rest of us are lying to you, send in a question with the request tool and ask for clarification.

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on May 11, 2014, 07:42:31 PM
Thats what I get for using the game documentation instead of the GDB as a source!

Re Game Docs Argument: All players can access the helpfile for expel.
                                    Psionicists/magick users can only access the helpfiles for spells/supernatural powers once they branch them (i.e. - Shows up in their skill list.)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.