Eat My Rotting Meat

Started by Desertman, November 15, 2013, 04:33:41 PM

Quote from: Malken on November 15, 2013, 06:40:49 PM
People who only plays once a week tends to play rangers and merchants, and, with those type of classes, finding foot to eat within 2 minutes of logging on is pretty easy/the least of their problems as a "weekend Arm warrior".

Only true when they've logged enough hours to become skilled.

Quote from: solera on November 16, 2013, 01:37:50 AM
People who only plays once a week tends to play rangers and merchants, and, with those type of classes, finding foot to eat within 2 minutes of logging on is pretty easy/the least of their problems as a "weekend Arm warrior".

Pft, rangers can find roots and tubers like there's no tomorrow right from the start and in not-so-dangerous spots, and if merchants can afford to have spoilable food to begin with, it's because they have the mean to purchase it. Most beginning merchants would buy flour, which would not spoil.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person that struggles to make money and feed their character.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on November 16, 2013, 03:09:42 AM
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person that struggles to make money and feed their character.
You must join a clan. Or have forage food.

Or be... devious.

I'm not even a coder, and the idea of this seems like a potentially daunting use of Staff resources.

Not saying that I don't like parts of it -- like the sentiment of 'it's a harsh desert planet, bro'. But...Playability VS Realism. The game must go on. I fear implementing this would only encourage power-grind indy hunters to kill even more game than they should.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Maybe there could be a nasty spell, disease, curse, vermin, or some other nasty lil' fucking thing that goes around and systematically rots or steals people's food.

we need more rats in game.

is that less daunting, code-wise?
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

November 16, 2013, 12:30:17 PM #31 Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:46:13 PM by Eyeball
Quote from: Eurynomos on November 16, 2013, 03:54:41 AM
I'm not even a coder, and the idea of this seems like a potentially daunting use of Staff resources.

From a coding perspective: it would take a bit of work, but nothing earth shaking.

You just need a time-ordered list of events. Every cycle, you check the top of the list to see if it's due. New meat, or returning meat (someone logging in) gets added into the list. Meat objects that are scheduled to degrade issue a message if appropriate, are set to their new state of rot, and are put back into the list or removed if they've finally rotted away.

It could work for stages of corpse decay too. In fact, since corpses are on a timer, the time-ordered list of events must already be implemented. It would just need to be extended.

EDIT: Actually, I don't really care one way or another if this gets put in. It does seem weird to have a bag or locker full of raw meat sit there, with never even a curious kank-fly checking it out, however.

I fear implementing this would only encourage power-grind indy hunters to kill even more game than they should.

If meat spoiled, they wouldn't be able to use all of it themselves, likely. So if they were hunting just for food, they might kill less. Otherwise, maybe it would be an incentive to sell food to other PCs? (Especially if vending machine clan cooks got nerfed...)
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: Malken on November 16, 2013, 01:46:12 AM
Quote from: solera on November 16, 2013, 01:37:50 AM

Pft, rangers can find roots and tubers like there's no tomorrow right from the start

I can't remember  it being like that.  I can remember playing two or three times a week, with 30 minutes of daylight. One day food foraging, one day other foraging, one day trip to town for water and trading. (And then suddenly ,I would be able to find food under every rock. )  That would be the sort of play that could be penalized if food quality didn't save.

Though I'm getting way of the point here, because I wouldn't expect roots to deteriorate, and critters are not dead meat.

Critters deteriorate after a fairly short amount of time.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Huh, besides not really seeing the point.

As somebody else mentioned, it is a VERY hot and VERY dry desert...if you wanted to be realistic, most if not all meat/food/corpses would mummify not rot.

Also, the best time to cure/dry/cook meats is after it has aged a bit, how much depends on environment of course. But during the time you call stale would likely be best.

But again, I really do  not see the point...you actually want people to hunt more? IG that is already  complained about enough I think.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

... Wait, I just realized the problem that would cause. X-D is right, I don't need more mothafucka's hunting all damn day long.

People already hunt as much as they are going to, it's just now they would have an IC reason to be doing all of that hunting they would be doing anyways.

Right now they hunt to "skill up", they won't stop doing that, and this won't make them do that more.

But maybe now when they do it, it will make a bit more IC sense.

Just a thought.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Meh, it certainly will do nothing to  make them hunt less either...other then that, I really don't see the idea affecting any but the newest of players.

It certainly would have zero affect on any of my PCs. I mean, not even an annoyance like wind blowing out torches or shopkeepers closing at night...meat rots...Meh, who cares.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Eyeball on November 15, 2013, 11:30:08 PM
Salted, dried and/or smoked meats could have a much longer shelf life. Maybe indefinite. Same for dried fruits. This could make PC cooks more useful too.
Eating preserved/salted foods should cause you to become more thirsty.

Quote from: MeTekillot on November 17, 2013, 08:17:59 PM
Quote from: Eyeball on November 15, 2013, 11:30:08 PM
Salted, dried and/or smoked meats could have a much longer shelf life. Maybe indefinite. Same for dried fruits. This could make PC cooks more useful too.
Eating preserved/salted foods should cause you to become more thirsty.

Salted yes.  Dried , not so sure.
I've always assumed highly spiced food do make you thirstier.  Did I read that once on GBD?

technically, eating any food should increase thirst...as digestion costa water...almost always more then what the food contains.
Lizzie:

You know, frankly, that seems like a decent idea to be put in game-wide.

November 18, 2013, 09:06:18 AM #44 Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:09:45 AM by Desertman
Quote from: X-D on November 17, 2013, 11:45:07 AM
Meh, it certainly will do nothing to  make them hunt less either...other then that, I really don't see the idea affecting any but the newest of players.

It certainly would have zero affect on any of my PCs. I mean, not even an annoyance like wind blowing out torches or shopkeepers closing at night...meat rots...Meh, who cares.

The newest of players are the ones who usually don't have enough food to horde tons of it at a time. They are the ones who buy/harvest food at regular realistic intervals anyways, because they lack the resources/know how to create massive food banks.

It's the vets who are doing the latter that it would affect, in my opinion.

If nothing else those new players might suddenly have somewhere to sell their scrab meat and tubers, since the vets don't have massive stockpiles of everlasting food.

(Currently)
"You want to buy some scrab meat/tubers?"

"No thanks nub, I buy food at the vendor in bulk so that I don't have to worry myself with it for weeks at a time."

(With Change)
"You want to buy some scrab meat/tubers?"

"Sure, I'm going to have to go buy more food in the next couple of days anyways, this will save me the trip."

At least, in a perfect world I would imagine it this way. It may just be wishful thinking on my part.

Vets do not stockpile food...that is silly.  Maybe the people somewhere between newb and vet...but even then I doubt it is because they actually want it. Mostly because people hate junking things. And that is the only bonus I see to the idea myself.

Besides, the people that can afford to buy food are not going to buy raw meat....they will buy the cool things or things that do not spoil.

How it would really go is.

Hey, wanna buy some scrab meat?

Um, I belong to clan X...why would I buy food?

Or

Amos pulls a brandy glazed rack of goudra from his pack and says, "Scrab...go find a rinther or something, I can afford real food."
Lizzie:

Not saying that I don't like parts of it -- like the sentiment of 'it's a harsh desert planet, bro'. But...Playability VS Realism. The game must go on. I fear implementing this would only encourage power-grind indy hunters to kill even more game than they should.

It would also encourage power-grind clanned hunters to kill power-grind indie hunters for stealing all their game! HARSHNESS!

Quote from: X-D on November 18, 2013, 09:27:06 AM
Vets do not stockpile food...that is silly.  Maybe the people somewhere between newb and vet...but even then I doubt it is because they actually want it. Mostly because people hate junking things. And that is the only bonus I see to the idea myself.

Besides, the people that can afford to buy food are not going to buy raw meat....they will buy the cool things or things that do not spoil.

How it would really go is.

Hey, wanna buy some scrab meat?

Um, I belong to clan X...why would I buy food?

Or

Amos pulls a brandy glazed rack of goudra from his pack and says, "Scrab...go find a rinther or something, I can afford real food."

I disagree as I don't see people doing this currently.

I see apartments full of eighty pieces of food when I get them.

I could be wrong, I'm ok admitting that, I just don't think I am. Opinions.

Of course.

But as I said, people hate junking stuff...and since the merchants only buy 5 of any given item...things like that do tend to stack up till sold.
Lizzie:

Let us not forget there are ways to preserve meats even without refrigorators.
Such as salt.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors