The word 'character'

Started by slipshod, September 02, 2003, 05:23:04 PM

Character

I think all of us seem to just leave that word out of our in-game vocabularies.  I know I do.  I often catch myself and stop myself from using it... just because of the OOC connotation.  But it is a common word, and it has other meanings that would apply in many IC circumstances....

"That bard is a real character."

"That elf is sure a suspicious character."

"It's just not in his character to give you a second chance."

I can't remember the last time I saw anyone use that word while speaking in the game... and there aren't any other words that come to mind which have the same unspoken restriction.  I just think it's odd... because so often it is the perfect word to use in a conversation... but it is left out because simply using it to refer to a -character- would take everyone's mind out of the game for the moment.

<shrugs>
I'm bored
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Wierd too...

I've never really noticed it.
21sters Unite!

I used it, aswell as 'Player'...just recently.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I've never consciously avoided the word.  I guess now I'll pay more attention.
Back from a long retirement

I've used it before.. though I do avoid it, just because of the few times I have used it, I've had people OOC/ OOCly whisper to me that someones character is, in fact, an out of character concept. One time it was in the Byn latrines, my character said something along the lines of "He just ain't the kinda character to get involved in that shit.." to which I was rewarded by an OOC bap on the nose by Joe newbie.

Its like the word skill... how often do you see someone claiming to be 'skilled' at something or other? How often do you see a non-newbie asking what kind of skills you've learned?

Just something people seem to naturally edge away from using.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

It also feels weird to talk about a "role" or a "game", ICly.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I don't use the terms 'role', 'character', 'skill' IRL (except when talking about mudding :P) so I tend to not use them IG. But now that you mention it, if I ever have a character I think would use those words I'll give 'em a whirl ;)

I do use the word 'game' though. When talking about Kruth or something of course  :twisted: