You're Being Attacked!

Started by Yummri, November 08, 2013, 04:32:34 PM

This is relatively simple. When combat starts a line of text that states You/Person is being attacked. Just before combat starts. There should be no delay between this line and combat starting.  But ideally it would be on its own line to draw attention to it.

You're Being attacked! / Amos is being attacked!

Combat text.

Why? Well for one it makes it easier to tell when combat has been initiated and who is being attacked. This would be useful for everyone. Sighted players and visually impaired players alike. Sighted players so that they have a split second to react better. And visually impaired because we could be sill ready stuff before combat starts and by then it might be to late. We could set up a trigger for that line to send a beep to alert us to combat so we can skip ahead to what is happening.

Should be easy to do code wise. Or at least I would think so. And doesn't really effect combat at all at least not in any way that would give anyone an advantage. As combat would still happen with no delay and any aggressive action from the shadows would still happen before you had time to do anything about it.

I kind of like this idea. I'm not a visually impaired player, but I do often miss the start of combat when trying to read room descriptions or emotes and the like. Just having that one like to draw attention to it seems like an easy way to make sure you don't miss combat to a screen of scrolling text.

Quote from: LittleLady on November 08, 2013, 04:35:19 PM
I kind of like this idea. I'm not a visually impaired player, but I do often miss the start of combat when trying to read room descriptions or emotes and the like. Just having that one like to draw attention to it seems like an easy way to make sure you don't miss combat to a screen of scrolling text.

When you see rapidly scrolling text, generally it's combat <_<

However this would probably be good for blind players. Problem is, it already says that x attacks you, so it doesn't really change anything at all.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 08, 2013, 04:49:50 PM
However this would probably be good for blind players. Problem is, it already says that x attacks you, so it doesn't really change anything at all.

The change proposed, if I'm understanding this right, is that a delay would be added between "X attacks you!" and the first rounds of combat.

Quote from: FreeRangeVestric on November 08, 2013, 05:30:32 PM
Quote from: evilcabbage on November 08, 2013, 04:49:50 PM

The change proposed, if I'm understanding this right, is that a delay would be added between "X attacks you!" and the first rounds of combat.
OP specifically said that he wasn't asking for a delay, just an extra line between the "attacks ~" message and the first line of combat.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Oh, indeed. I misread.

Yeah, not entirely sure what this would change, in that case.

It would make it easier on blind players its true.

But sighted players too. I can only imagine that a line saying - You are being attacked or Person A is being attacked.

Would allow for a split second better reaction time for even people who can see rapidly scrolling text when it happens. But text scrolls so fast in large groups of people that it can be really hard to tell if it is combat or just more poses until its too late.

Why this simple line would make a good bit of difference to everyone. As it gives a clear indication to all to allow for a better reaction time. And a split second of warning.

Quote from: Yummri on November 08, 2013, 06:01:29 PM
It would make it easier on blind players its true.

But sighted players too. I can only imagine that a line saying - You are being attacked or Person A is being attacked.

Would allow for a split second better reaction time for even people who can see rapidly scrolling text when it happens. But text scrolls so fast in large groups of people that it can be really hard to tell if it is combat or just more poses until its too late.

Why this simple line would make a good bit of difference to everyone. As it gives a clear indication to all to allow for a better reaction time. And a split second of warning.

It ALREADY says this.

It only does it when you witness someone attacking another person, it also doesn't have a space afterwards, the very next line is combat scroll. It doesn't give you the message when you are attacked, or are attacking.

I like the idea.

EDIT: Nm, rgs covered it.
<Morgenes> Dunno if it's ever been advertised, but we use Runequest as a lot of our inspiration, and that will be continued in Arm 2
<H&H> I can't take that seriously.
<Morgenes> sorry HnH, can't take what seriously?
<H&H>Oh, I read Runescape. Nevermin

I like this idea would definitely be very helpful.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I haven't had any trouble with it myself, but I still like the idea... Could be something you could bold, so you'd know if you or someone else were being attacked, say, someone squishy you might need to rescue, say your guard was broken or something. Imagine there'd need to be a few different messages.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

November 09, 2013, 08:37:13 AM #12 Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:38:50 AM by DustMight
This could be handled with client-side scripting, right?

Could have a huge:

THE TULUKI B*STARD IS ATTACKING YOU WITH HIS WILTED FLOWER!

You could even follow it up with a quick macro to set room to brief, highlight known friends stuff and all that.

If it is not difficult to change, I think there is no downside. Generally when someone starts beating on you it's the most noticeable thing going on. A carriage return (fuck you all. I'm old. I remember typewriters) seems like an appropriate level of notice.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I used a typewriter, too. Mechanical.

Twap - Twap - Twap - Twap - Twap - Shrrrrooop - Twap - Twap - Twap - Twap - Twap.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: DustMight on November 09, 2013, 08:37:13 AM
This could be handled with client-side scripting, right?

Could have a huge:

THE TULUKI B*STARD IS ATTACKING YOU WITH HIS WILTED FLOWER!

You could even follow it up with a quick macro to set room to brief, highlight known friends stuff and all that.

Just set a trigger that executes a variety of macros that highlight text, brief room.

Trigger activates when the phrase: % attacks you   pops up? Something like that?

November 09, 2013, 10:50:02 AM #16 Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:21:45 AM by LittleLady
This would be a case of adding a simple "initial attack message" to the creatures code.

I don't think this is a bad idea and could actually be used to add a bit more style and rp to combat in general.

A message like:

The <creature name> is attacking <playername> that gets announced to the room.

This would also give one target line for people to highlight the text, make beep play, etc, rather than having to script in every possible combat message.

It both announces that combat is beginning, who is being engaged, and by what. That is all people are asking for. It's still themely, and it doesn't change combat or the combat timers at all.

Triggers and Macros.

That's good, but again. That relies on you having knowledge of scripting. But not just me everyone. And not everyone does. This is a simple string to give a line of notice and does nothing more.

No bonus for the person who is being attacked. No downside, no drawback and easy to implement. No need for complicated triggers and macros or any other type of scripting.

I'm happy people like the idea though.

Quote from: LittleLady on November 09, 2013, 10:50:02 AM
This would be a case of adding a simple "initial attack message" to the creatures code.

I don't think this is a bad idea and could actually be used to add a bit more style and rp to combat in general.

A message like:

The <creature name> is attacking <playername> that gets announced to the room.

This would also give one target line for people to highlight the text, make beep play, etc, rather than having to script in every possible combat message.

It both announces that combat is beginning, who is being engaged, and by what. That is all people are asking for. It's still themely, and it doesn't change combat or the combat timers at all.

Not so much the players name announced to the room, perhaps description, concealed as it might be or unconcealed. But we do not walk around with our pc's names blaring like a sign over them so that would not be good to see echoed.

But I could see the op's idea of it being announced as benign, perhaps even helpful.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

I am not convinced it should be announced to the room at all.  Combat is confusing and things happen fast.  I think that making PCs keep their awareness up is a good thing.  It adds adrenaline and is puts the burden on the player where it belongs.  Besides, I can picture a circumstance or two where a player attacking someone or something would absolutely prefer there to be a bit of confusion as to who attacked who.  

I suppose I am okay having a special announcement to the player:  "You are being attacked!", but it already seems pretty obvious.

So, Infallible Room Arbitrator and Broadcast Announcer - Opposed.
"Someone is beating on You!" announcement to just to the player - Unconvinced.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: Seeker on November 09, 2013, 01:14:42 PM
I am not convinced it should be announced to the room at all.  Combat is confusing and things happen fast.  I think that making PCs keep their awareness up is a good thing.  It adds adrenaline and is puts the burden on the player where it belongs.  Besides, I can picture a circumstance or two where a player attacking someone or something would absolutely prefer there to be a bit of confusion as to who attacked who.  

I suppose I am okay having a special announcement to the player:  "You are being attacked!", but it already seems pretty obvious.

So, Infallible Room Arbitrator and Broadcast Announcer - Opposed.
"Someone is beating on You!" announcement to just to the player - Unconvinced.

Seeker

Ditto
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

November 09, 2013, 01:24:37 PM #21 Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:27:52 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: Seeker on November 09, 2013, 01:14:42 PM

Maybe you're missing the part where the person who's suggesting it isn't just doing so for people who can see and use screen readers.

There's nothing so confusing about combat that you don't realize you're being attacked. Also, adding adrenaline in the ways of obscure and unknown information that can get you killed is less of an adrenaline rush and more of a "fuck you Ginka, I quit." Making the game harsh through coded obscurity is ludicrous. It's not going to make the game any easier to add this echo. It will however make the game easier on those with reading problems.

Currently, if you have brief combat on(which I almost always do) There are instances where you can be in combat with someone for SEVERAL rounds before ever noticing.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 09, 2013, 01:24:37 PM
Currently, if you have brief combat on(which I almost always do) There are instances where you can be in combat with someone for SEVERAL rounds before ever noticing.

Yes but if you're not noticing they're missing so.... don't turn on brief combat?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 09, 2013, 01:51:52 PM
::) Seriously?

No. I'm just trolling. Oh no, that was you!

Yes, seriously. Survival requires you to pay attention. Sometimes, a lot of times, we just die stupidly, like not realizing you were in combat, or being AFK. Part of it.