Punctuation, capitalization, grammer

Started by evilcabbage, October 31, 2013, 07:12:47 PM

Riev you seem to understand nothing about the spirit of NaNoWriMo if you think it has anything to do with proper spelling and punctuation. Maybe that was the attempted joke?

Sometimes a newbie comes along with bad spelling or grammar, yes. I've seen it once or twice. I don't understand how you being condescending is going to help them. They will realize they're doing something wrong, sure. They will also realize how big of an asshole some of our players are.

I guess I don't understand your point. At the end of the day the attitudes in this thread towards people who may have typos are way, way worse than the reactions they actually have in game. And that's great. Because if you tried to OOC at me to tell my to type slower (After all this thread is about how to properly address people with typing issues) I'd report you for improper use of that function on a good day, and call you a dumbass on a bad one.

That was the attempted joke, yes. Someday, someone will come up with a 'sarcasm' font.

And the issue is, yes, how to address this situation. It does NOT come up often. Most of the time? It is NOT a problem. In fact, the few cases I've personally seen, either the person stops playing (because they were presumably new, and weren't really into the game anyways) or they DO eventually get better.

The issue is when someone has definitely been around long enough to know better. You can tell, because they're an Officer in their clan, or in a Leadership position, or have been around for a few RL months, and you they still have speech like "i dont know thats just your thing man" then it is really hard to take them seriously, and how do you bring that up? There are some of us that have a hard time taking that role seriously, and is that WORTHY of a player complaint, because of their position? Are staff aware? Is the person trolling?

IMO, those are the issues in this thread; finding out just how to bring up the situation. Again, newbies tend to tryhard, the times I've personally seen it, its someone that IMO should probably 'know better'.

To Add: The few dwarves I've seen ruff sircling? Speak to them in their own language and they are AMAZING. I kudos people when I see it ;)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on November 03, 2013, 12:01:52 PM
Plus, in the spirit of NaNoWriMo, can't we just agree to always be trying our best?

I (the player) dislike the precedence there seems to be for dwarves in game to speak in all lower case letters with atrocious punctuation. It's made my play with that race really bad, not only do I not enjoy it but I dread it. That's the same feeling I get for every person who types like that.

I don't get the same feeling when there are horribly complicated dialects hand-crafted by players, accents and twangs that only a mother could understand, why? Because those have a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence, and their shortened words have an apostrophe, they make an effort.

Riev is right, it's about trying our best, joke or not. All my years playing I've never made a complaint about these players, I just choose not to play with them. Like I choose not to play in Tuluk, or the Soh, or city elves.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on November 03, 2013, 12:35:47 PM
Plus, in the spirit of NaNoWriMo, can't we just agree to always be trying our best?

I (the player) dislike the precedence there seems to be for dwarves in game to speak in all lower case letters with atrocious punctuation.

I have literally never seen this. This isn't a precedence it's a meme joke on the GDB.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 03, 2013, 12:45:31 PM

I (the player) dislike the precedence there seems to be for dwarves in game to speak in all lower case letters with atrocious punctuation.

I have literally never seen this. This isn't a precedence it's a meme joke on the GDB.
That it's confined to dwarves is a meme. That it happens is not.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Don't make me comb every fucking log I have to paste the shit. Why do you think they do meme jokes? Cause they exist, cause they're funny, cause people can relate.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

November 03, 2013, 12:52:17 PM #31 Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:54:48 PM by Riya OniSenshi

Didn't someone just tell someone else that "just because you've not seen it doesn't mean it's not happening"?

I've seen a lot of dorfs over the last several years do this. I've also seen a few humans do it, too.

EDIT: I guess I'm confusing threads as it looks like no one said that yet in this one... So I guess I'm saying it.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 03, 2013, 12:51:13 PM

That it's confined to dwarves is a meme. That it happens is not.

That it's someone intentionally doing it for laughs is what I'm arguing against.

Quote from: ShaLeah on November 03, 2013, 12:51:48 PM

Don't make me comb every fucking log I have to paste the shit.

Just one would impress me.

November 03, 2013, 01:52:42 PM #34 Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:54:19 PM by Eyeball
Putting a capital letter at the start of your sentences isn't so much to ask.

Quote from: Eyeball on November 03, 2013, 01:52:42 PM

Yep. What's your point?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 03, 2013, 01:57:21 PM

Yep. What's your point?

The point is it bothers some. The point is the post was made to address it. Some see it as "elitist", some people see it as common courtesy, some people are put off by it, I'm sure we run the gamut on feelings on the subject. The point is that the game is text based, it's English based, now no one is being unreasonable in asking to make your contribution to the game world legible. Is it?

November 03, 2013, 02:16:33 PM #37 Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:18:29 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: ShaLeah on November 03, 2013, 02:04:47 PM

Yep. What's your point?

The point is it bothers some. The point is the post was made to address it. Some see it as "elitist", some people see it as common courtesy, some people are put off by it, I'm sure we run the gamut on feelings on the subject. The point is that the game is text based, it's English based, now no one is being unreasonable in asking to make your contribution to the game world legible. Is it?

You seem to have confused my stance and also the topic of this thread. I thought we were discussing ways to deal with people who typo or commonly misspell in the game. I'm saying using OOC is not the appropriate way to do that.

Ya'll are trying to tell me it's perfectly acceptable to "OOC: Slow down you're typing too fast and making too many mistakes, it breaks my immersion."?

It's like you guys are trying to make me say that bad punctuation and grammar is just fine and that we don't need to worry about it. That's clearly not at all what I'm saying. I'm just saying don't be an asshole to people in the game with the OOC command. Because no one in game is purposefully misspelling shit to get a laugh and piss people off.

IF they were, you would still not use OOC. You would report them.

November 03, 2013, 02:31:09 PM #38 Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:35:07 PM by Potaje
Hey, I say 'What ever folks.' I suck at sentence structures, get caught up in a moment, heart pounding blood surging through my veins.  My fingers twitch at times, my arthritis stiffens and aches my fingers, especially after hours of typing, or a mad driving sequence. The client I us has no spell check and spelling has never been my strong suite.

If you do not wish to play with me in game, that's you're lost, I get into character, I put heart and personality into them. Sometimes I hit the wrong punctuation go to backspace and hit enter, or go to punctuate and hit enter, I'm not a keyboard wiz, get in a hurry or flustered.

Sometimes I slow down, reread and my mind sees what is written as its intended in that moment, then I look again after hitting enter or when rereading and find my errors.

But because you might need some preparation H to sooth your sphincters because of my typing I not going to stop playing the game.

Nor does it mean I don't try to improve, but I only do that for my self, not for you.

This is perhaps the more common sentiment among those less perfect typists out there.

Edited to respond to the o.p., I agree that ooc is not a good means to respond to the situation, in my own opinion.

The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 03, 2013, 02:16:33 PM
Quote from: ShaLeah on November 03, 2013, 02:04:47 PM

Yep. What's your point?

You seem to have confused my stance and also the topic of this thread. I thought we were discussing ways to deal with people who typo or commonly misspell in the game. I'm saying using OOC is not the appropriate way to do that.

Ya'll are trying to tell me it's perfectly acceptable to "OOC: Slow down you're typing too fast and making too many mistakes, it breaks my immersion."?

It's like you guys are trying to make me say that bad punctuation and grammar is just fine and that we don't need to worry about it. That's clearly not at all what I'm saying. I'm just saying don't be an asshole to people in the game with the OOC command. Because no one in game is purposefully misspelling shit to get a laugh and piss people off.

IF they were, you would still not use OOC. You would report them.

Quote from: evilcabbage on October 31, 2013, 07:12:47 PM
It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, because I always want to ask OOCly if they can slow down in typing so they can type "better" i.e. have more capitalization and make their sentences sound better. Is this a bad thing to wish? Is there a "safe" way to go about this? It kind of kills my enjoyment when people rp, but they don't take time to capitalize things, or are always spelling things wrong. I totally understand if english isn't their first language, but -still-.

That doesn't mean he does it. I want to too but I don't, never have, nor would I complain to staff. That's a ridiculous thing to complain about (in my opinion), no matter how annoying it is to me as a player. It drives me nuts when people don't use the right symbol when they emote too but I don't think it's enough to make a player complaint either.

Given to choose between OOC'ly breaking character and putting in a player complaint? I'd choose the latter but I have only put in one player complaint officially ONCE in the time I've played.

You would be incorrect. The thread is about people who regularly reject capitalization, punctuation, or some generally-acceptable routine of grammar.

This has nothing to do with typos or misspellings.

It has everything to do with making an attempt to present your text-based data in a way that is generally regarded as acceptable to the greater English-speaking world. And to be generally regarded as acceptable to the greater English-speaking world, sentences begin with a capital letter, end with some singular form of punctuation, and capitalizing the first letter of a proper noun (such as Chosen Lord, His Faithful, Amos, and yes - I). Everything else is awesome, but this should be the minimum that anyone should expect from everyone else. If it's not much to ask, then why do some people refuse to do it?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think because of texting on their phones causes people to forget to type in prober English else where.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Lizzie on November 03, 2013, 02:45:38 PM

You would be incorrect. The thread is about people who regularly reject capitalization, punctuation, or some generally-acceptable routine of grammar.

This has nothing to do with typos or misspellings.

It has everything to do with making an attempt to present your text-based data in a way that is generally regarded as acceptable to the greater English-speaking world. And to be generally regarded as acceptable to the greater English-speaking world, sentences begin with a capital letter, end with some singular form of punctuation, and capitalizing the first letter of a proper noun (such as Chosen Lord, His Faithful, Amos, and yes - I). Everything else is awesome, but this should be the minimum that anyone should expect from everyone else. If it's not much to ask, then why do some people refuse to do it?

First off I'm not wrong. The OP is pretty clearly talking about people who need to "slow down" and are typing too fast.

Quote from: evilcabbage on October 31, 2013, 07:12:47 PM
It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, because I always want to ask OOCly if they can slow down in typing so they can type "better" i.e. have more capitalization and make their sentences sound better.

To the rest of your post I'd say no shit, Sherlock. Nobody is saying that capitalization and punctuation should be avoided. And if it is routinely avoided by someone, you should report them for it. I don't even know why people feel the need to discuss that.

Quote from: Dresan on November 03, 2013, 11:34:35 AM
Quote from: James de Monet on November 03, 2013, 02:10:51 AM
I'M SORRY. Someone had to do it.  ;)

Surprised it was you though I was really thought it would be a couple other people here instead. It has been said before this is a pretty toxic of forum. I believe that and I play league of legends and in other equally toxic communities.

Heh, I didn't mean "someone had to correct your grammar". I meant "someone had to take advantage of that opportunity for stellar irony".

As regards the topic, though, it honestly doesn't bug me too much. I typo a fair amount myself. The thing that I notice most is when people don't use sentence ending punctuation. It can make their meaning confusing (and leaves you wondering if they were going to say something more.)
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: Potaje on November 03, 2013, 02:31:09 PM
Nor does it mean I don't try to improve, but I only do that for my self, not for you.

You have to share the world (both game world and RL) with other people, my friend.

Purposely disregarding this can cost you in ways you might never realize. It's not generally worth it.

Quote from: Eyeball on November 03, 2013, 07:28:15 PM
Quote from: Potaje on November 03, 2013, 02:31:09 PM

You have to share the world (both game world and RL) with other people, my friend.

Purposely disregarding this can cost you in ways you might never realize. It's not generally worth it.

Are you serious? He JUST said he tries to improve. What business is it of yours the reasons why he does so? What business is it of yours how he decides to enjoy his time playing the game?

As a former clannie, I will definitively state that Potaje's writing skills are no impediment to his awesome roleplay.

I think this thread is referencing people with actual problems. Probably people who aren't even responding in this thread. You would know if they were, because their posts would say:

Quotewut

Quotewtf idk?

Quotelolz how do i put a cat gif
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

And may those people burn in a very special level of hell.

Quote from: James de Monet on November 03, 2013, 09:09:09 PM
As a former clannie, I will definitively state that Potaje's writing skills are no impediment to his awesome roleplay.

Potaje can typo around me any time. On purpose. Hell, I'd even play a dorf with him. There. I said it. Booya!

I am uneducated and considering my age, it amuses me how stupid I am. In fact I make fun of myself frequently, it has grown into a habit. I dropped out of highschool, but graduated. Never went to college. And I have never ever cared for learning or bettering myself in that regard.

But what really effected my playing was coming home from work and having my hands frozen stiff from working in the freezers. My job right now is all heavy lifting and is messing with my hands in a similar manner. When I get home I do have to forcefully pry them open and move them about for awhile, because they do not work 'at all'. And then here I am playing Arm.

Quotewtf idk?